XBOX 360 or Playstation 3

surbhit

Disciple
I will be buying a console in June and as I already have PS2 am looking for an upgrade. I have been trying to google/reading gaming forums/watching videos on youtube to find out that which of the two(XBOX 360/PS3) is better, the more I read the more confused I get :huh:. I also have a few doubts:-
1. Which of the 2 consoles has cheaper games?
2. In XBOX 360 is the 20 GB hard disk reqd if I am not going to use XBOX Live?
3. I have a budget of 20-22K(max) would I be able to get PS3 in this range?
4. Is the new XBOX Arcade which has been recently launched a Jasper?
5. Where to buy the consoles in Chennai?
6. Most importantly which console should I buy ?

1) Cheap Games are available only for 360 or if you buy Pre-owned copies of PS3 games, but that too will be around 1k Rs.

2) You will need 20GB HDD as some games need installs (i suppose :ashamed:) on 360 too.

3) I Guess u can get PS3 within that range if you search properly or if u buy from gray market u surely can get it cheap. But the games are not less than 2k :p

4) I dunno abt Indian 360's :)

5) No Idea about Chennai, know about Mumbai region :D

6) PS3 if you are looking for some great games ahead and dont mind paying for it. 360 for cheap gaming ;)

surbhit said:
I will be buying a console in June and as I already have PS2 am looking for an upgrade. I have been trying to google/reading gaming forums/watching videos on youtube to find out that which of the two(XBOX 360/PS3) is better, the more I read the more confused I get :huh:. I also have a few doubts:-
1. Which of the 2 consoles has cheaper games?
2. In XBOX 360 is the 20 GB hard disk reqd if I am not going to use XBOX Live?
3. I have a budget of 20-22K(max) would I be able to get PS3 in this range?
4. Is the new XBOX Arcade which has been recently launched a Jasper?
5. Where to buy the consoles in Chennai?
6. Most importantly which console should I buy ?
1. Xbox360 has cheaper games, but PS3's platinum range of games also are nicely priced even though they take a while to come.

2. 20GB or a MU is required to use the new XBLA experience. Even though 20GB doesn't look necessary in the beginning, you would require it eventually.

3. PS3 40GB can be bought in the price range. Official Sony price is 22,990/-

4. Not sure about that.

5. If it Xbox360 then call up local Redington dealer in Chennai or else visit the newly opened EZone. If it's PS3 then any Sony showroom. Burma Bazaar & Ritchie Street for both at your own risk.

6. I had a Xbox360 which I recently sold. One thin I found was the game library for Xbox360 is made available to the PC's immediately where it is much cheaper and fun to play. Where as PS3's ever expanding Solid library is platform specific. I got bored of Xbox 360 eventually. Since I had a PS1 & PS2 and currently using a PSP and would buy a PS3 shortly, I would suggest PS3.

Pro's

1. Expandable HDD. You can replace the in-built 40 or 80 GB HDD's by any 2.5 inch laptop HDD

2. Doubles up as a Blu-Ray Player

3. Inbuilt Wireless

Con's

1. PSN still sucks. Live experience is not that friendly as Xbox.

2. Still ahem "unmoddable" ahem

3. New games are pretty steeply priced.

4. Exclusive DLC for Top rated titles are not getting released for PS3

I'm not comparing graphical abilities of these two consoles as from what I have seen, they look the same with both of them out performing each other on specific titles.

@xXx: thanks for the reply.

@neoronin: Actually the main reason I was thinking of getting XBOX was that the Arcade model which is 6K cheaper than the PS3 & cheaper games . But as you told that hard disk is reqd so the price diff is negated. I also read an article on GI which compared after sales service for both the consoles and it stated Sony India was poor in this regard. Is it really that bad?

surbhit said:
@xXx: thanks for the reply.

@neoronin: Actually the main reason I was thinking of getting XBOX was that the Arcade model which is 6K cheaper than the PS3 & cheaper games . But as you told that hard disk is reqd so the price diff is negated. I also read an article on GI which compared after sales service for both the consoles and it stated Sony India was poor in this regard. Is it really that bad?

Can't comment on Sony as I have not personally experienced it. But Microsoft's service was pretty OK.

But ask yourself, why would you want to approach the Service Center in the first place. Sony's hardware is generally rock solid and failure proof [Well, except their phones]

And if you have been researching you would also know about the RROD in Xbox360. If a term is originated on basis of a failure rate of a console, then you should be the better judge. Although the recent models [Jasper and the like] have demonstrated their hardiness, I would never trust Microsoft with my money anymore.

The HDD would be required sooner or later. The Dashboard update itself will gobble up most of the space on your memory card (provided you buy the Arcade). So if you plan to only install game saves on it & nothing else, then I suppose you should be fine with the Arcade model. Else for game installs, demos & HD content storing, you'll need an HDD.

The main reason to go for a PS3 now is because, the 360 doesn't seem to be roping in a lot of exclusive titles. Sony, on the other hand, seems to have an impressive line up for this year. So weigh your options & then go for a console.

If you are planning on online gaming , Xbox Live is miles ahead of Playstation Network in terms of quality of play .. etc .

Heck on PSN .. you can't do an private audio chat with people while playing , can't invite any one to a game .

Whenever me and a friend in UK try and play Killzone 2 .. we end up wasting an hour in getting to a common room . Even though the game has invite / join option still something is not rite about the PSN .

If gaming (specially online) is the only concern , i would get the 360 .

neoronin said:
Can't comment on Sony as I have not personally experienced it. But Microsoft's service was pretty OK.

But ask yourself, why would you want to approach the Service Center in the first place. Sony's hardware is generally rock solid and failure proof [Well, except their phones]

And if you have been researching you would also know about the RROD in Xbox360. If a term is originated on basis of a failure rate of a console, then you should be the better judge. Although the recent models [Jasper and the like] have demonstrated their hardiness, I would never trust Microsoft with my money anymore.

I know very well about the RROD and that's the reason I was asking whether the new XBOX Arcade is Jasper or not. The only thing that troubled me was that the article quoted that Sony was taking more than 1 month to repair/replace faulty PS3s.

Ethan_Hunt said:
The HDD would be required sooner or later. The Dashboard update itself will gobble up most of the space on your memory card (provided you buy the Arcade). So if you plan to only install game saves on it & nothing else, then I suppose you should be fine with the Arcade model. Else for game installs, demos & HD content storing, you'll need an HDD.

The main reason to go for a PS3 now is because, the 360 doesn't seem to be roping in a lot of exclusive titles. Sony, on the other hand, seems to have an impressive line up for this year. So weigh your options & then go for a console.
I have also read that XBOX 360's DVD drive scratches the discs, is that true?
I can't imagine buying game which costs above 2K getting wasted.:(

surbhit said:
I can't imagine buying game which costs above 2K getting wasted.:(

i doubt the scratching thing, nvr seen such incident happening in any of my frnd's xbox.
If u r ready to spend 2k on each game, then go for PS3 w/o a second thought.

I would recommend PS3 over an XBOX 360 if you can afford the games.

PS3's online capabilities are decent though not on the same level as XBOX 360, but for offline gaming (which is what I do most), i found PS3 a much better choice.

As for after sales service/customer care both are just as shitty as any other customer care in India. So you don't have a deciding factor there.

Yep, the Xbox still occasionally leaves love bites on the discs. Sony service maybe bad, but chances of you going to the service centre are rare and I'm pretty sure that service alone does not make a product.

I can't imagine buying game which costs above 2K getting wasted.
That used to be an issue with the previous models, I suppose. I'm not sure if it still exists. But thankfully, with the NXE dashboard update, you can install games on your HDD. After installing the game, it will require the disc only for validation. This should pretty much save the life of your DVD's.

If you're interested in getting the 360, then why not order it from one of GI's deals. They have an excellent offer for an arcade coupled with a 20GB HDD for Rs.18,490. You can strike out Rs.500, if you don't want the bundled 256MB memory card. This seems like a better deal to me.

If you want cheap gaming buy a PC or buy a PS3 ;

forget about xbox360 -as M$ forgot about their xbox original-but old PC and ps2 still rocking

Again I would say...If god forbid you face any problem with your PS3 and it is warranty u get a Brand New Piece against it within a month or sometimes in the span of 2-3 days, depends upon the availability.

If you are not gonna go online, then i would suggest you go for 360 / upgrade ur PC to play the games, as both share the same library.

If you want to play Online and are ready to shell out 2k for each game, I would suggest, dont even keep any second thought and Buy a PS3 str8 away :)

Even if you wanna play online, you dont need to pay anything extra and PSN has improved a lot over the years. U can buy Pre-owned games from Ebay.in if u want (little) cheap games for PS3.

But again, SD TV can (somewhat) ruin the experience for PS3 ;) (but that is not a Big Issue) it still looks gr8 on SDTV too and if ur not bothered with that too u can connect with ur LCD monitor. :)

just bought a 360 pro from Australia for 16k, got burnout paradise and gears of war 2 limited edition free with it!! The PS3 and 360 are pretty much head to head when it comes to games but the 360 has a bigger better game library and its cheaper, game demos usually come first on 360 also.

I bought a 360 simply because it was cheaper, its got a great interface and online features and when I'm bored enough I might just void my warranty and get it flashed to play burned games :)

No , I didn't read any of the points you mentioned just because of the fact that the Sony Playstation 3 outplays the Microsoft X-Box 360 in each and every possible aspect except the fact that the 360 can be modded and the PS3 cannot be modded as of now.

1. If you plan not to mod your console [And I recommend not to] , the price difference in the Games you buy won't be 'A LOT' , so that shouldn't affect your choice.

3. In the Grey market , the new Playstation 3 80GB is available for 21k. [Not the game bundled edition of course].

5. If you're in Mumbai , it'll be available at Alfa Store. If you're in Delhi , you'll easily get it at Palika Bazar.

6. Of course you should own the Sony PS3.

sickizblank said:
In the Grey market , the new Playstation 3 80GB is available for 21k. [Not the game bundled edition of course].

If you're in Mumbai , it'll be available at Alfa Store. If you're in Delhi , you'll easily get it at Palika Bazar.

Also , if you plan not to mod your console [And I recommend not to] , the price difference in the Games you buy won't be 'A LOT' , so that shouldn't affect your choice.

Wouldn't it be better to buy 40GB PS3 from Sony showroom for 22K rather than the gray market 80GB one? I don't think there would be an warranty on the gray market one.

EDIT: The gray market one is discarded as I am not going to stay in Chennai permanently.

Back