Xbox 360 VS PS3 - Which one to buy?

memnom

Adept
Hello folks

I think its high time i get a Console, but even after burning a barrel of midnight oil i don't seem to come to a conclusion that would satisfy me.

Im a SinglePlayer guy, not into MP (atleast not yet), so i have no problem with the MP part of either of these console.

This is what i came up with my searching around...

1. Xbox is easy to mod, therefore the cost of playing would be less at the end of the day. (and i condone piracy :p)

2. Xbox has 1+2 year warranty while the PS3 comes out with 1.

3. PS3 has BD and its less prone to disk scratches.

4. PS3 is hardware wise superior to xbox (purely my opinion)

5. The list of exclusives are almost equal for both of them, but i like UC, KZ better than Halo and Gears of War

6. (I think) PS3 does not have region restriction but Xbox has it.

7. I only have a old CRT 29" TV (so no hd), if this helps..

So with these criterion which should be my obvious choice?

Please post your Choice of Console and WHY?

P.S. PLEASE do not turn this into a mud-slinging contest, i just want a personalized opinion for my particular needs.

memnom said:
Hello folks

I think its high time i get a Console, but even after burning a barrel of midnight oil i don't seem to come to a conclusion that would satisfy me.

Im a SinglePlayer guy, not into MP (atleast not yet), so i have no problem with the MP part of either of these console.

1. Xbox is easy to mod, therefore the cost of playing would be less at the end of the day. (and i condone piracy :p)

5. The list of exclusives are almost equal for both of them, but i like UC, KZ better than Halo and Gears of War

P.S. PLEASE do not turn this into a mud-slinging contest, i just want a personalized opinion for my particular needs.
Not one of those again! :p

1. I'm not sure whether modding without getting banned from XBL is possible, although some people claim its possible. But since you are not into online action so no problems for you.

2. Although the new Jasper chipped Xbox360 pieces are more reliable than the older ones (aka RROD time-bombs), still PS3 is a far more stable and safe console to buy. The YLOD frequency has further gone down with the advent of PS3 Slim (I don't think any YLOD cases have been reported on the slim ones, although I'm not sure).

3. BD is an excellent feature of PS3 but a buying decision can be easily made depending on whether you'll be using it or not, because no point buying advanced technology if you won't use it.

4. You can say PS3 hardware is more stable and runs cooler than Xbox360.
Multiplatform games usually run better on Xbox360, not because it is more capable but because those games are not coded properly for PS3 (usually PS3 gets the ported versions, hence buggy, eg: Bayonetta).

5. I also like PS3 exclusives better than those of Xbox360, because of so much variety (UC2, KZ2, Infamous, Resistance 1 ,2, MGS4, etc) but this is just a personal opinion. So, if you also think so then I guess you know what to do.

6. All the PS3 games are region free. That means it dosent mater where you bought the console, or where you buy your games, they will all be combatible.
There are a few things to be aware of though.
First the games still exist in PAL, or NTSC versions. That means if your are using and older TV wich does not have HDMI, some games will not work correct, you may expirience weird colors, or black white screen or other odd things. If you use a new TV with HDMI there is nothing to worry about. since when using HDMI signals there is no suchs things as PAL, or NTSC.
Second. if you import a game from another region. You must also buy eventual DLC from the store wich your original game is linked with.
Third. Some games have region locked online play. wich means if you import a US game, you will only be able to play online with other people who have the US version.
Fourth. The bluray movies are still region locked. So you cant import US movies to watch on your EU PS3 unless the movie it self is region free.

(Source: Internet, can't remember where)

7. Both will work with your CRT TV but not even close to the full potential.
I guess I have been unbiased and since I own both PS3 Slim and Xbox360 Arcade so I'm not a fanboy.

For most people (not all) it boils down to one very simple thing and that is Exclusives.
So, going by the fact that you like PS3 exclusives more, Sony's the way to go for you.

Since most of the questions are taken care off by kestrel5915, I'll keep my comment short and sweet.

The choice is simple once you decide on the game purchase. Legit or the other way round. If the former then PS3 is you key console and the latter, than it's the 360. So if you don't mind spending on originals then PS3 has a good potential with it's exclusive line up.

Also a few additions to the above points:

1.) 360 has a DVD install feature, which would let you install the whole game onto it's hard drive and then it would just require the DVD only for validation. It won't spin while the game is being played. So that increases your DVD drive's life, your DVD's and also less heat dissipation.

2.) If you plan to mod the 360, the region coding shouldn't matter to you. I haven't found a single game which I haven't got a PAL version of (at least the AAA titles). Most of them are region free and PAL versions are the first to release most of the time.

3.) Also if you said you like UC and KZ2 much better than the 360 titles, then I guess that settles it for your preference.

If you are good with buying originals, then get the PS3.
It has lots of exclusive titles that are already released and some are coming soon (Heavy Rain, GOW III etc).
If u dont want to spend on originals, then get the XBOX 360.
U can always buy 2nd hand PS3 games, in that way u can manage to get the titles for pretty less than the market price.

Since u'll be using a CRT, the gfx delivered by both consoles will be the same (read PS2 grade).I own both the consoles and my PS3 is more than a year old.Till now havent had any probs with the console itself.The controller konked off a few days back & SONY Replaced it with 5 days.
The XBOX is at max 3 months old and till now its running fine.
Regarding the warranty both consoles have 1yr hardware warranty. the extra 2 yrs on the xbox 360 is strictly for RROD & not for other hardware failures.

Till now most games on xbox 360 used to be released on the pc too, but now some studios r saying that they wont release PC versions for some of the games (read Dead Space 2 & Alan Wake).

Weigh ur options & priorities then choose.

Even i was in a dilemma about which console to buy.. After hell lots of research, i've zeroed upon the PS3 & brought one.. Here's my opinion regarding the pros & cons of both..

XBOX 360

Pros:
1) Moddable & can play pirated discs.
2) Controller is a tad better than the PS3 controller (my opinion though).
3) XBL is better than PSN (according to some reviews).
4) Better library of games.

Cons:
1) Very much prone to failure. Earlier versions had a failure rate of arnd 33% :mad: . Jaspers are much better though.
2) Inferior hardware compared to PS3 (as per some reviews).
3) No WiFi & the wifi dongle costs a hell lot.
4) HDD is upgradeable but is too costly & space is restricted.
5) Online service (XBL) is paid. I really hate this.
6) Noisy than PS3 & heats up much more.
7) The huge power brick is an eyesore (though this might not matter much).
8) Tray loading DVD drive (this also boils down to personal preference).
9) Scratches discs.
10) Inferior hardware specs than PS3. This really dosen't matter. What really matters is the games.
11) Region locked games.

Playstation 3

Pros:
1) Better build quality & better hardware specs.
2) HDD is upgradeable & not restricted to manufacturer specific ones. Is much more cheaper also.
3) PSN is FREE.
4) Doubles up as a BR disc player.
5) Games are not region locked.
6) Some models are backward compatible with PS1 & PS2 games.
7) Much more future proof & games will be released even after the next gen console is launched (may or may not be)..
8) BR game discs have a protective coating tht prevents scratching (read this somewhere).
9) Builtin WiFi.
10) Is a better media center (Larger HDD's, better format support & more).
11) Failure rate is very low. Read somewhere as 0.1%.
12) Builtin power supply & better aesthetics.
13) Remote play (usable only if you have a PSP)
14) Supports bluetooth. Means you can use any bluetooth headset.
15) BR discs have much larger capacity than DVD's.
16) Motion sensitive controller. Though nowhere near as the Wii controller.
17) Can download game demos from PSN.
18) Builtin internet browser.

Cons:
1) Unmoddable.
2) Games are costlier.
3) Lesser library of games.

I had the same dilema and chose to buy a xbox 360 (Never mind that I haven't played it in 3 months :()

Things that turned the table for me (towards the xbox 360):

1. u have the option of modding.

2. U generally get deals on the package (last month there was a shop in HYD selling a arcade with 60gb starter kit for 13.5k)

3. Games, games and more games

4. this is quite lame but for me it did some magic for xbox buyout. I had a xbox 360 controller for PC (wireless). So i didn't have to buy 2 controller for purchasing the 360. so now I have 2 wireless controllers for xbox 360 as well as the PC.

i would suggest to go for the ps3. i have owned both consoles together at the same time & i had never used 360 even once when i had the ps3 even though the 360 was modded.

if you are worried about games costing a lot, you can always purchase 2nd hand games from te or ivg, they are priced fantastically & then you can always finish them & sell it off for 200-500rs less than your purchase price.

memnom said:
Hello folks

I have owned all the 3 consoles.. some i bought few times over.. talking abt ps3.. soon 360 will join the list.

Honestly.. the best VFM option is getting a 360 and modding it. nothing else.

but there are some exclusives coming up for Ps3... so maybe if u want that..ps3 is the way to go..

For me its like this..

Exclusives --> Ps3
VFM gaming.. :) .. --> PC and 360..
Most 360 exclusives do come in PC eventually..if u can wait...

and the H/w superior part is getting old.. u need to game in HD r8.. both are very good.

I have seen zephyr 360's working strong even after 2 years.. no RROD and what not. the guy games like 10 hrs a week max.. nothing else...

But if u really want the joy of MP then 360 is the only option..

CRT is a moo point..as both are HD consoles.. so if u play them in SD..they will be in SD..so no advantage here or there.

vinaycm said:
Even i was in a dilemma about which console to buy.. After hell lots of research, i've zeroed upon the PS3 & brought one.. Here's my opinion regarding the pros & cons of both..

XBOX 360

Pros:
1) Moddable & can play pirated discs.
2) Controller is a tad better than the PS3 controller (my opinion though).
3) XBL is better than PSN (according to some reviews).
4) Better library of games.

Cons:
1) Very much prone to failure. Earlier versions had a failure rate of arnd 33% :mad: . Jaspers are much better though.
2) Inferior hardware compared to PS3 (as per some reviews).
3) No WiFi & the wifi dongle costs a hell lot.
4) HDD is upgradeable but is too costly & space is restricted.
5) Online service (XBL) is paid. I really hate this.
6) Noisy than PS3 & heats up much more.
7) The huge power brick is an eyesore (though this might not matter much).
8) Tray loading DVD drive (this also boils down to personal preference).
9) Scratches discs.
10) Inferior hardware specs than PS3. This really dosen't matter. What really matters is the games.
11) Region locked games.

Playstation 3

Pros:
1) Better build quality & better hardware specs.
2) HDD is upgradeable & not restricted to manufacturer specific ones. Is much more cheaper also.
3) PSN is FREE.
4) Doubles up as a BR disc player.
5) Games are not region locked.
6) Some models are backward compatible with PS1 & PS2 games.
7) Much more future proof & games will be released even after the next gen console is launched (may or may not be)..
8) BR game discs have a protective coating tht prevents scratching (read this somewhere).
9) Builtin WiFi.
10) Is a better media center (Larger HDD's, better format support & more).
11) Failure rate is very low. Read somewhere as 0.1%.
12) Builtin power supply & better aesthetics.
13) Remote play (usable only if you have a PSP)
14) Supports bluetooth. Means you can use any bluetooth headset.
15) BR discs have much larger capacity than DVD's.
16) Motion sensitive controller. Though nowhere near as the Wii controller.
17) Can download game demos from PSN.
18) Builtin internet browser.

Cons:
1) Unmoddable.
2) Games are costlier.
3) Lesser library of games.

Check my above reply.. i have seen consoles without RROD... the first gen itself.. i think its more depends on the level of usage. and most of ur other cons are just plain stupid or partial... or just too much googling.. looks like the result of "Xbox 360 issues" result. :)

and abt the cons of ps3.... "used games".. I dont plan on buying new games..or give into hypes for pre-order jitters... just wait till it gets cheap...
and lesser library??.. seriously were u googling again?? :p... that was when ps3 was a year old.. now its a lot bigger and more importantly, better...

*thinks abt ps3 games i have that was never even popped into the ps3 once.*

although the no wifi is a BIG issue... atleast for me..

and oh yeah... most games in 360 are RF... apart from few publishers...

*no offense mate*

Hey,

On a purely graphical front a PS3 should deliver better graphics technically, and it does do so in its exclusives. But for multi-platform games the XBOX360 beats PS3 in graphics simply because the graphics aren't optimised for PS3 enough (differences mainly in shading, lighting etc, nothing major). Someone correct me if I am wrong in this graphics comparison.

Bluray disc prices should come down eventually and the game costs will also come down for the PS3. But, PS3 has only a replacement warranty for the first year, remember that. There will be no repair for it if it breaks down after one year. Keeping an eye on the future PS3 should be a good bet, but seriously the high priced games should be a reason for concern.

@m-jeri - cool signature! PC, PS3, WII gamer . . .

@ethan, i knew u would post infact i was counting on it, thanks mate. But im leaning towards PS3.

@Hellgate, im fine with getting the originals mate, no qualms there. thanks again.

@Red Bull, Valid point bru, may be i will get the PS3 now and xbox once i get into the job.

@VinayCM, thanks for such a long and informative post mate, must've taken you a while.

@vercetti, point taken mate. thanks.

@stromblast, thanks bru. nice to see someone with both the console preferring PS3.

@m-jeri, again thanks for the post mate. I'll get the xbox once i have the money to do so. :)

Making the decision simple:

XBOX 360: If the primary usage is gaming only & don't want to shell out for original games..

PS3: An allround device. But will have to pay a bit more for original games..

Guys, PS3 modding is now possible. which means it is as good as xbox 360 here in India. And not to forget the lower failure rate for PS3

desiibond said:
Guys, PS3 modding is now possible. which means it is as good as xbox 360 here in India. And not to forget the lower failure rate for PS3
If you're referring to George Hotz's hack then it has still not been implemented. Also let's assume if they are able to implement the hack via Linux, then the slim versions wouldn't have this option at all.

desiibond said:

Not quite! GeoHotz hack isn't all that easy as hacking the X360 if you have cared to read through his claim put up in the blog. Besides, we need a blu-ray burner, blu-rays or a gargantuan hard drive(s) inside the PS3 to store the copy of the 40GB odd games etc.

^^ Not to mention the fact that you need to download 15~25GB for each game (Including the padding data) and burn on Blue Ray Discs. That still leaves the mods that need to be done at the hardware level. Will the PS3 BD Drive even play BD-R's. All that Hotz managed till now is to get access to the protected area of the PS3 memory space while using a alternative OS and under certain firmware revisions. There is still a long way to go to get to a practical mod and considering the amount of data that need to be downloaded, the cost involved for burning BD-R's and any hardware mods required, I am guessing by the time PS3 piracy becomes practical in a country like ours, we would have PS4 on the shelves.

m-jeri said:
Check my above reply.. i have seen consoles without RROD... the first gen itself.. i think its more depends on the level of usage.

I think the 360 RROD is more of a matter of luck than any specific logical pattern. A lot of people have had RRODs even though their usage was bare minimal. Some even got them only a month after getting them even though they hardly used the console. Others have not got it even on the first gen consoles even when they used it for hours at a stretch each day. The only pattern I have noticed is that people in India seem to get it a lot. Every one around me who got 360's have had it RROD at at least once except for my own 360. But then I have not touched it even once after finishing Mass Effect. So I am not sure myself if its in good condition.

@Ethan,dunno if u can call this decent now. Q6600 @ 3.3, 4Gig at 1002Mhz, 4870 512Mb, Corsair 620HX. But thats my system

Back