Xbox 360 VS PS3 - Which one to buy?

memnom said:
@Ethan,dunno if u can call this decent now. Q6600 @ 3.3, 4Gig at 1002Mhz, 4870 512Mb, Corsair 620HX. But thats my system

LOL! It's way better than mine. Go for the PS3 as it's exclusives are the one you should be gunning for and nearly most of the titles are multi-platform these days. Your rig should easily handle probably all the multi-platform titles unless the game is poorly coded.

Lord Nemesis said:
I think the 360 RROD is more of a matter of luck than any specific logical pattern. A lot of people have had RRODs even though their usage was bare minimal. Some even got them only a month after getting them even though they hardly used the console. Others have not got it even on the first gen consoles even when they used it for hours at a stretch each day. The only pattern I have noticed is that people in India seem to get it a lot. Every one around me who got 360's have had it RROD at at least once except for my own 360. But then I have not touched it even once after finishing Mass Effect. So I am not sure myself if its in good condition.

Very true.

But the fact remains most RROD are stuck on people that game on their 360's heavily.. The folks i speak spend on their consoles like very few.. even 10hrs of gaming is no much..

see even you. you havent yet got one coz u dont use it much. so no over heating to melt and all... ask others..chance might be they have abused their 360s/ put up in AV racks like DVD player/ corners with no ventialtion/ stuff piled up. trust me i have seen this in LOTS of cases.

memnom said:
@Ethan,dunno if u can call this decent now. Q6600 @ 3.3, 4Gig at 1002Mhz, 4870 512Mb, Corsair 620HX. But thats my system

I am going to slap u in the face for being like that...

I am gaming with a 8800GT... :mad:

and for u i select PS3...

ONE thing to note guys... Even though XBoX360 has inferior graphics hardware, the real output graphics that we see (via eyes) isn't hampered at all, infact it's at par with PS3. And also, the core of X360, the R600 based GPU is stronger than the PS3's G70 GPU. THe PS3 does have a 8-core so it kinda tilts the balance.

I would suggest an Xbox360 or PS3 SLIM

Purely your choice here.

first get a hd tv or monitor with that there is no meaning to the hardware (ps3/xbox360)

and about what to buy from xbox /ps3

see which controller u r comfortable with (for me its xbox 360)

and line up of games comming out this year and what u want to play

i have all three ,a good pc(i7 with gtx 285),xbox 360,ps3

for me its all ways pc it the best because
with around 35-65k these days u can get high end pc with a hd 24inch lcd and the best part is almost all game on pc cost 650 here .also u can use xbox controller for pc

in consoles its xbox 360 for me ( because of games and controller,online play)

and ps3 i mostly use to watch movies and play ex-games

@Ethan, im almost decided on PS3 thanks mate.

@Jeri, instead of slapping me you can have my 4870 mate :p. yes im going for PS3

@@ddict, im going for a PS3 mate.

@akarsh, thanks for the reply mate, will select xbox the next time :)

memnom said:
@Ethan, im almost decided on PS3 thanks mate.

@Jeri, instead of slapping me you can have my 4870 mate :p. yes im going for PS3

@@ddict, im going for a PS3 mate.

@akarsh, thanks for the reply mate, will select xbox the next time :)

when u have a good pc ,ps3 is good choice xbox can wait

akarsh said:
when u have a good pc ,ps3 is good choice xbox can wait

thats rt. I had purchased my xbox 360 after bout 9 months of buying the PS3 cuz i have a very humble pc to take care of my pc gaming needs.
the reason i got the 360 is cuz i wanted to play GeOW II.

After buying the PS3 (try & get the old 80G model), get a HD monitor / TV.
Then think bout xbox 360.

@compaddict

true that, but it'll still take loads of time to develop a way to run backups on the ps3+the problem of downloading 25 gb games and buying expensive blue ray discs to burn them

Hi Guys,

After more than two years my 8800GTX went kaput (due to my CM600 SMPS I guess) and thus instead of going for a Graphics card/ CPU upgrade , decided to move to the Console segment :Comp9: , also want to play Halo and finish the fight :rofl:

I am a total noob in the console (XBOX360) segment and thus my query is as below,

a) If I buy a modded console in Chennai (say in Ritche street) what is the Display format (PAL , NTSC..etc) which I would be getting ?

b) By any chance if it is NTSC then would original games bought in India (PAL) work ? i.e. is there a option to chance the region code like how it is available in some Wii Mods (or) Is it fixed ?

c) Is the XBOX360 modded available in Chennai S/W mod or a H/W mod ( a.k.a. Mod Chip) , also any idea if it would be the Jasper version ?

d) Does the Arcade version come with an internal Hard Drive (or) does that needs to be bought.

thanks in advance for the replies.

aceman said:
a) If I buy a modded console in Chennai (say in Ritche street) what is the Display format (PAL , NTSC..etc) which I would be getting ?
It could be either an NTSC or PAL console, if you're getting it from the grey market. If you're getting the official Indian one, which is highly recommended, then it would be PAL.

aceman said:
b) By any chance if it is NTSC then would original games bought in India (PAL) work ? i.e. is there a option to chance the region code like how it is available in some Wii Mods (or) Is it fixed ?
A PAL game bought in India won't work on a NTSC/US/C/J console. No way to change the region coding unless the console is JTAG'd.

aceman said:
d) Does the Arcade version come with an internal Hard Drive (or) does that needs to be bought.
The Arcade version doesn't have an HDD bundled along with it, however, you can get the 60GB starter kit bundled in some online deals. The Arcade version comes with a 512MB built in memory unit though.

aceman said:
c) Is the XBOX360 modded available in Chennai S/W mod or a H/W mod ( a.k.a. Mod Chip) , also any idea if it would be the Jasper version ?

You can buy a console from ritchie street & get it modded by them itself.. As of now the iXtreme LT seems to be best softmod option.. Modding is not for free, be prepared to pay for that..

If you are buying a new arcade version, the chances that it'll be a jasper for sure..

@ Ethan_Hunt ,vinaycm , thanks for the input guys , much appreciated. :cheers:

Will go to Ricthe street this weekend and check for the offers for XBOX 360 consoles and would update this thread.

aceman said:
@ Ethan_Hunt ,vinaycm , thanks for the input guys , much appreciated. :cheers:

Will go to Ricthe street this weekend and check for the offers for XBOX 360 consoles and would update this thread.

I've enquired abt the price (through a friend of mine in chennai) of an XBOX 360 arcade in ritchie some 2 weeks back & the best price i got was 13K..

vinaycm said:
I've enquired abt the price (through a friend of mine in chennai) of an XBOX 360 arcade in ritchie some 2 weeks back & the best price i got was 13K..

Brother why don't you take ATI 5850 - 16k . It'll be more than enough for your needs . Moreover DX11 will kick in 2011 and Xbox 360 will be replaced by Xbox720 pretty soon

PS3 for sure.

XBOX360 has a inferior hardware compared to PS3, which is one of the most basic point to be considered.

Also, we will have to shell out more for internet.

The new PS3 slim looks far better than XBOX.

I had the same dilemma,but ended up buying PS3. But, I have the older fatter one. :)

Hope it helps,

Rahul Mengale

Anubis said:
Brother why don't you take ATI 5850 - 16k . It'll be more than enough for your needs . Moreover DX11 will kick in 2011 and Xbox 360 will be replaced by Xbox720 pretty soon

Since i demoted myself from a hardcore gamer to a more casual gamer, the console is a better & cheaper option for me.. Don't want to go in through the regular (& expensive) graphics card upgrade cycles.. Ofcourse there is no denying of the fact that the 5850 will produce way better graphics than any console available now..

BTW when is the XBOX 720 expected.. As per the info i've seen floating around in the net, it won't be released till 2011-2010..

Anubis said:

I thought about and actually I was a PC gamer for a loooong time , a decade to be precise from RIVA TNT2 till Geforce 8800GTX but these are some of the points which made me switch to the dark side :),

a) Too costly: I do agree that ATI 5850 would be about 16K but PSU is what caused my old card to fail , thus adding a Corsair Vx550 would shoot up the cost to more than 22K for the combo. It is about 8K more than Arcade XBOX360.

b) A lot games which I would like to play like Halo 3 ( don't flame me , I like cotana ) , GOW2 , Ace Combat ...etc are console exclusives. Also many up-coming games like Dead Space 2, Alan Wake are also exclusives.

c) I love racing games and thus I would need to buy the PS3 for the GT5 ( along with a GT25 wheel) when it is released thus it makes no sense to have XBOX360 + Power full PC + PS3 + Wii ( which I already have).

d) PS3 and XBOX 360 are mutually exclusive as a lot of games are specific to one platform or another. Thus is is best to have both if possible , this leaves the odd man PC out.

e) I am getting old and boring and do not seem to have the patience to keep setting up everything , patching, Driver updates ...etc , with consoles I can format my Windows in my PC and move to Linux completely which is where all my work is.

f) PC runs more queitly without a Massive card and the whole room is more silent now. ;)

g) XBOX 720 is not due till at-least 2 years away ,maybe even more. Even then adoption rate for a first few years would be slow.

Thus console it is. Most probably a modded 360 and a PS3 Slim.

aceman said:
I thought about and actually I was a PC gamer for a loooong time , a decade to be precise from RIVA TNT2 till Geforce 8800GTX but these are some of the points which made me switch to the dark side :),

a) Too costly: I do agree that ATI 5850 would be about 16K but PSU is what caused my old card to fail , thus adding a Corsair Vx550 would shoot up the cost to more than 22K for the combo. It is about 8K more than Arcade XBOX360.

b) A lot games which I would like to play like Halo 3 ( don't flame me , I like cotana ) , GOW2 , Ace Combat ...etc are console exclusives. Also many up-coming games like Dead Space 2, Alan Wake are also exclusives.

c) I love racing games and thus I would need to buy the PS3 for the GT5 ( along with a GT25 wheel) when it is released thus it makes no sense to have XBOX360 + Power full PC + PS3 + Wii ( which I already have).

d) PS3 and XBOX 360 are mutually exclusive as a lot of games are specific to one platform or another. Thus is is best to have both if possible , this leaves the odd man PC out.

e) I am getting old and boring and do not seem to have the patience to keep setting up everything , patching, Driver updates ...etc , with consoles I can format my Windows in my PC and move to Linux completely which is where all my work is.

f) PC runs more queitly without a Massive card and the whole room is more silent now. ;)

g) XBOX 720 is not due till at-least 2 years away ,maybe even more. Even then adoption rate for a first few years would be slow.

Thus console it is. Most probably a modded 360 and a PS3 Slim.

Exactly what i was about to post.. Didn't do that because it'll turn this thread to a PC vs Consoles thread..

Back