XBOX One - News, Rumors & Speculations

Xbox One headset included with all systems

Microsoft has done a rather stupendous job addressing nearly every complaint fans have had with Xbox One. From the big DRM reversal to its recent indie proposal, Microsoft is making good on the nickname "Xbox 180."

Here's another surprise for you. Xbox One systems will now include a headset, thanks to all the hollering fans did when Microsoft said that Kinect was good enough.

A new unboxing video produced by Microsoft shows the contents of the Day One edition of the system: Xbox One console, Kinect, specially branded Day One controller with chrome D-pad, HDMI cable, and yes--the Xbox One Chat Headset (MSRP: $25).

"The chat on Xbox One offers 3x the sampling rate of the Xbox 360. The quality of the Xbox One Chat Headset speaker and microphone have been upgraded to take advantage of the much improved audio quality. It’s also super lightweight-only 44g-with a padded earpiece that can be worn on either your left or right ear, and a bendable, rotating mic boom. You can control mute and volume without taking your hands off the controller," Microsoft details.

The headset isn't exclusive to the Day One bundle, either. A Microsoft spokesperson confirmed to Shacknews that "the chat headset is included in both the Day One and standard editions of the console." You win, internet.

Source: http://www.shacknews.com/article/80548/xbox-one-headset-included-with-all-systems

To be honest, they have done a stellar job of reversing the negative perception developed about microsoft as a "Yank focused" company which has lost its interest in the console's core competency - ie the gaming.
The DRM issue could have been a big dampner in terms of sales especially the publicity that issue was getting after E3.

I also have a school of thought that Sony kinda scored a massive own goal as they should have highlighted the drm factor close to the launch date which would have given Sony a big lead in terms of sales. Promoting the differentiation before the products actually got to the market meant microsoft had more than enough time to change their tactics and get a lot of positive press as a result of that which is happening now.

Xbox One: Kinect does not need to be plugged in

Microsoft has confirmed that the Xbox One will not require a plugged-in Kinect sensor to function.

Reiterating messaging from May, Microsoft’s Marc Whitten told IGN that Xbox One users can disable Kinect entirely, and even unplug the sensor if they like.

“Like online, the console will still function if Kinect isn’t plugged in, although you won’t be able to use any feature or experience that explicitly uses the sensor,” he said.

“You have the ability to completely turn the sensor off in your settings. When in this mode, the sensor is not collecting any information. Any functionality that relies on voice, video, gesture or more won’t work. We still support using it for IR blasting in this mode.

“You can turn the sensor back on at any time through settings, and if you enter into a required Kinect experience (like Kinect Sports Rivals for instance), you’ll get a message asking if you want to turn the sensor back on in order to continue.”

Speaking to Kotaku, a Microsoft representative confirmed that games which use Kinect in a supplemental sense – for non-essential features like optional voice commands, for example – then users won’t need to plug the sensor in to play them. However, you’ll clearly sitll need it for games which use Kinect as a central gameplay feature, like Kinect Sports Rivals.

Asked whether there are plans to sell a Kinect-free Xbox One bundle, which would presumably enable a lower price, the representative said Kinect “is still an essential and integrated part of the Xbox One platform”.

“By having it as a consistent part of every Xbox One, game and entertainment creators can build experiences that assume the availability of voice, gesture and natural sensing, leading to unrivaled ease of use, premium experiences and interactivity for consumers,” the spokesperson said.

On NeoGAF, senior Microsoft PR executive Albert Penello reiterated that the platform holder still believes in Kinect.

“We aren’t interested in splitting the development base. The more demos I’ve seen, the more I’ve used it – the more impressed I am. The team feels strongly about Kinect, and I hope we’re able to prove that when you use it,” he wrote.

“We also have a ton of privacy settings to allow people to turn off the camera, or microphones, or put it in a state just for ‘Xbox On’ and IR blasting – there will be a lot of user control for that.

“The thing we all understood, and hence this change, is that there are some scenarios where people just may not be comfortable. We wanted people to be 100% comfortable, so we allow the sensor to be unplugged.”

Although Microsoft had mentioned the ability to turn off the camera before, many commenters are hailing the unplugging part as yet another policy reversal in response to consumer backlash.

Microsoft’s U-turn on its used games-unfriendly but digital future-proof DRM policy was the first of a series of reversals.

It later went on to confirm self-publishing on the Xbox One, having previously acquired quite a poor reputation among indies.

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/12/xbox-one-kinect-does-not-need-to-be-plugged-in/

Theres still the issue of pricing. A few days ago I spoke to a salesperson at a Game4u outlet, I asked whether he had any idea of the pricing of the new consoles.

PS4 - (30k-35k)

Xbone- (45k)

If this is true and as we know the Indian market is price sensitive, it will be Sony leading the way in the subcontinent.
Now I know that Xbone comes packaged with Kinect 2.0(to justify its $100 extra price tag), but Im pretty sure Microsoft will release a non-kinect bundle here just to compete with the price of the PS4.

What do you guys think?

Xbox One's Will Work In Any Country

We previously reported that the Xbox One console would see delayed launches in eight markets. Microsoft's lead planner for the Xbox One explained the reasons behind the delay as being software issues (localization) and not due to launch volume availability.

"This was simply a software issue in terms of getting local language and voice support in the dash. it's pretty straightforward, but disappointing I know for people who are missing launch. Obviously, I support people waiting for the official supported launch in the affected markets for the best experience."

He also noted that all games for the Xbox One are region free, and that the consoles could be used in any country as long as you have the correct power supply to use it at that location.

The console do, however, region lock on the currency of the launch location, so in order to make purchase in the marketplace the user will have to have some valid method of paying in that currency from the Xbox's current location. It was suggested that people could use pre-paid credit cards to help mitigated the issue.

He added the fact that, "You will still find that music and video content can be geo-restricted based on licensing. (e.g. Netflix works only in supported countries)"

http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/2676/xbox-ones-will-work-in-any-country.html

I have been away from the gaming scene recently. Can some of you folks fill me in as to how the Xbox one is doing on the demand front except the US?

Lol this is a must watch video.
""Do not spank my xbox-one!" :lol:

On a serious note I miss xbox 360 only for 3 games Halo 3 (Which MS should have released for pc by now), Halo 4 & Forza Horizon. They should at least re-release them for x-box one otherwise i am not sure if i will be interested in it.

Last edited:
Back