User Guides [XBOX360] Guide to choosing Solder-free ODDE - Optical Disc Drive Emulators

Alright, most of you must already be familiar with usb loader x360key.. Let us get acquainted with current available options. :)

This thread is created because I'm dumbstruck between x360key and wasabi 360 usb loaders... And of course, to confuse you all equally :p

Wasabi Pros over x360key:

[strike]1. Can load games with xbox controller and gui, xkey used it's own wired remote for this.[/strike] (Feature added by x360key as well via firmware update)

2. Little bit cheaper.

3. Integrated extension to xbox enclosure, looks neat.

x360key Pros over Wasabi:

1. USB2.0 instead of eSATA (eSATA is much faster but user is limited to using only HDDs..adds to expense with eSATA enclosure)

Alternatives:

x360dock:

1. Much cheaper... almost 60% of cost of x360key

But requires a computer to load ISO that are available on the HDDs that are mounted in this PC.

it is more like a split x360key in 2 parts:

I. The ODDE board that sits in the xbob and other part is

II. Remote - This can be purchased separately if you want to load from usb without PC.

Costs a little above x360key if both purchased separately, no clues about a combo deal as 2nd batch is yet to be released; Thus i'm not considering this.

x360dock is a good option for people who have MediaCenter PC or download rigs, you and save around $60 by avoiding investing in extra remote.

Your ISO will be stored on the connected PC and thus you can avoid an external device being connected to your xbox directly...Less clutter.

Boxzii:

Yet to cover this one, will update thread when i'm done.. time for lunch :p

Approximate Prices:

Wasabi360: ~$99

x360key: ~$99-115

x360dock: ~$65-70

Boxzii: ~$70-115

Complete features as per manufacturer websites:

Wasabi360 said:
• Unique, intuitive on-screen user interface - navigate the ISO list directly from the Xbox 360 dashboard using your controller. No need to interact with a small remote/LCD for feedback or navigation. No need to ever leave the sofa. See the demonstration video!

• Solderless installation

• Support for XGD3 games

• Support for AP25 protected games, without needing to patch ISO's

• ESATA interface is used in place of USB providing superior performance, since data is transferred directly between the ESATA HDD and Xbox 360 resulting in impressively high bandwidth, many times faster than reading from a real DVD disc. See our speed comparison!

• Elegant and streamlined console inspired case design

• Versions available for both fat and slim consoles

• NTFS file system natively supported

• Multi-disc games fully supported

• Powerful embedded CPU running performance tuned Real Time Operating System

• Regular firmware updates available free for download

• Fully updatable hardware (MCU and FPGA's) from ESATA HDD including a failsafe recovery mode

• No need to flash or in any way modify your original ODD

• Hardware selectable pass through mode – allowing games to be played from the original disc drive in a 100% Xbox Live safe manner

• Latest supported Xbox 360 dashboard version: 2.0.13604.0

Features to be added in future firmware updates:

• Automatic extraction of the DVD key

• Xbox Live compatibility

• Dumping of X360 ISO's from original discs

Wasabi 360 - Product

x360key said:
  • User friendly: intuitive interface, no soldering required
  • Compatible with both Fat and Slim models
  • Supports most Xbox 360 and Xbox 1 games
  • Supports most file systems, including NTFS, EXT2/3/4, and Mac OS X Extended
  • High speed USB 2.0 interface
  • Stylish USB control pad for selecting games and controlling your x360key
  • Powerful embedded Linux system running from Micro SD card (included)
  • Linux firmware fully updatable from USB media
  • FPGA fully updatable from USB media via built-in, in-system JTAG programming
  • Recovery mode - it is always possible to recover from a bad flash
  • No drive flashing or JTAG hack required
  • AP25 protection emulation
  • Pass-through mode. (Use your Xbox 360 in "normal mode")

• Web Control Panel (Requires a wifi dongle that will be sold separately)
Loading games from NFS and Samba shares*

• Xbox Live support
  • Backup original Xbox 360 games to USB hard drive
x360key features

x360dock said:
Module 1 : Internal Mainboard + USB PC Control Dongle

• SAVE the cost of extra USB HDD or pendrive, Grab the backup Games directly from the PC HDD.

• Cleaning Games management platform based on PC only, No worry about the Xbox360 dash upgrading.

• User INTERFACE friendly, no soldering required

• Compatible with both Fat and Slim consoles

• Latest supported Xbox 360 version: 2.0.13604.0

• AP25 supported

• XGD3 supported

• Plug and Play/Requires DVD Key

• No need to flash or in any way modify your original DVD drive

• Avoid Overheating and >75% 3 Red lights of Death posibilites

• USB 2.0 and ULTRAFAST LOADINGS

• DVD/DL/Multigame compatible

• Full upgradeable by USB/JTAG, Regular firmware updates available free for download

• Drive mode–allow playing games from the DVD drive in a 100% Xbox Live safe manner

• Remote ISO selector by Iphone/IOS/Android systems (Requires WIFI)

Module 2 : X360dock motherboard package + External Full Color 2'2" TFT Touchscreen panel for USB HDD/Pen drive (No PC required)

• High speed ARM games management system

• Full Color 2'2" TFT Touchscreen

• Full Color touchscreen cover flow ISO/config selection system

• 3Ports USB 2.0 High Speed (480M/S) HUB embeded for USB HDD/Pen drive (No EXTRA Hub cost)

• NTFS File system supported

• USB / SD upgrades for FPGA and Microcontroller system

• External SD socket (No needed disassembly if SD card replacement required)

• Full clean installation / Place the module 2 where ever you want

• Easy Installation/Just need plug USB cable from X360dock Module 1

• Automatic extraction of the DVD key (Not sure if it can be done ,but DockTeam never gives up)

• Xbox Live compatibility

• Dumping of X360 ISO's from original discsbr

Products - X360DOCK Official Site - WWW.X360DOCK.COM

PS: Mods, this guide suites this section better, thus posted here; you can move if it is not appropriate.

PPS: Guide is being edited as and when new information is available. Feel free to post or PM me incase you want me to feature similar products and or modify/correct those that are featured.

Re: [XBOX360] Guide to ODDE - Optical Disc Drive Emulators

dinjo said:
You are missing most important thing here which is RGH

already exists a thread for that and this thread is for solder-free solutions :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I'm going for x360key considering extra expense over eSata enclosure if choosing wasabi360.

getting a good deal at ~$100 shipped; so creating a GO for people interested.

will add link when I create a GO.

Will cost around 5.6k if not mistaken no dlc no xbla no title updates no live no fsd not guaranteed how long would it work ms might come and patch some or other day.

Rgh - dlc xbla tu fsd ms cant patch cheaper

To add you have to open the console to fit the x360key in the console

For those people who only want to play only games on their Xbox 360's than these ODD emulator's will serve the purpose but if you want to also run homebrew's, DLC, XBLA, emulators than RGH is the "BAAP".

One more thing I would like to say that If someone is buying these emulator's considering it to be live safe than please don't think that as c4eva has quoted that "x360key is an expensive solution to get banned". You can find this comment at c4evaspeaks.com

More than that to fit ODD emulators you will also have to extract the key of the drive which requires specific tools.

(For Xbox 360 Slim users only)To end it, I would like to say that before buying this emulator, please open your xbox and check your dvd drive firmware version, It should be Liteon (9504, 0225, 0401, 1071), If its among these 4 drives than you are good to go. But If you have a Liteon 1175 or Hitachi 0500/0502 than don't buy the Emulator as there is no firmware extraction method available for these drives so ODD emulator's won't work.

Hope this will help people to take decision between Drive flashing, RGH(JTAG), ODD Emulators.

dragon_unleashed said:
For those people who only want to play only games on their Xbox 360's than these ODD emulator's will serve the purpose but if you want to also run homebrew's, DLC, XBLA, emulators than RGH is the "BAAP".

One more thing I would like to say that If someone is buying these emulator's considering it to be live safe than please don't think that as c4eva has quoted that "x360key is an expensive solution to get banned". You can find this comment at c4evaspeaks.com

More than that to fit ODD emulators you will also have to extract the key of the drive which requires specific tools.

(For Xbox 360 Slim users only)To end it, I would like to say that before buying this emulator, please open your xbox and check your dvd drive firmware version, It should be Liteon (9504, 0225, 0401, 1071), If its among these 4 drives than you are good to go. But If you have a Liteon 1175 or Hitachi 0500/0502 than don't buy the Emulator as there is no firmware extraction method available for these drives so ODD emulator's won't work.

Hope this will help people to take decision between Drive flashing, RGH(JTAG), ODD Emulators.

yup, this solution is only for playing ISOs off usb drives without willing to solder anything on pcb.

No risk with Live.

key extraction is possible by connecting just sata port directly to pc with tray half closed method, worked for me on Liteon 0401; Hitachi 0500 did not work this way :p

I really wanted to get RGH on slim but is the timing issue resolved?

i already opened my slim and the warranty must have gone anyways..

Ok only iso is what you want to play than its good to go.

Warranty can be saved in slims by opening in a proper way with xcm x8 tool.

Yes there is a solution for the timing now. I am waiting for matrix chips to arrive for slim's, I have some chips but they won't fit into slim as space is a problem in slims.

Nice guide...
bye22.gif

Back