XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Discussion Thread

rantingraj

Disciple
Hi I am new to these forums and I was disapointed that there was no thread about one of the best games of the year so far and top seller on steam for around a month in preorders. Just released last week ----- Xcom Enemy Uknown So I made this thread :D

Its Firaxis's (Civilization 5 makers) take on the cult classic ufo-enemy uknown which was a pc hit way back in 1994. They have turned that game into a modern top down turn based tactical shooter with a gripping story line and very decent multiplayer. I personally got the game on flipkart this week and am really enjoying it. Was just hoping to find some other indians to play with when I saw it doesnt even have a thread dedicated to it when games like diablo3 have a thread !!!!! :p

Heres some info about the game and some screens to go along with them!

images

About the Game

XCOM: Enemy Unknown will place you in control of a secret paramilitary organization called XCOM. As the XCOM commander, you will defend against a terrifying global alien invasion by managing resources, advancing technologies, and overseeing combat strategies and individual unit tactics.

The original XCOM is widely regarded as one of the best games ever made and has now been re-imagined by the strategy experts at Firaxis Games. XCOM: Enemy Unknown will expand on that legacy with an entirely new invasion story, enemies and technologies to fight aliens and defend Earth.

ss_94026340326a929b1dce2579117e37a68f137f68.600x338.jpg

ss_9e6e5edfe27c4a85bb02b2034df392a638caf409.600x338.jpg

ss_bc1d9b2d0bc55566f81d37b20928e48cbc1d769c.600x338.jpg

ss_f3962be23a093a7282f97680b605708de8f90edf.600x338.jpg

You will control the fate of the human race through researching alien technologies, creating and managing a fully operational base, planning combat missions and controlling soldier movement in battle.

Key Features

Strategy Evolved: XCOM: Enemy Unknown couples tactical turn-based gameplay with incredible action sequences and on-the-ground combat.

Strategic Base: Recruit, customize and grow unique soldiers and manage your personnel. Detect and intercept the alien threat as you build and expand your XCOM headquarters.

Tactical Combat: Direct soldier squads in turn-based ground battles and deploy air units such as the Interceptor and Skyranger.

Worldwide Threat: Combat spans the globe as the XCOM team engages in over 70 unique missions, interacting and negotiating with governments around the world.

I very highly recommend the game oh and if anybody wants to play with me either Xcom or Civ5 or Company of Heores or Dawn of War Retribution.. add me on Steam [bratprince24]

its because rts genre is really dying with all the shooters flooded in

Hope lives mine friends, sure there are fewer releases but each and every piece is extremely well made.

And very important, CoH 2 and ROME II come next year.

Hope lives mine friends, sure there are fewer releases but each and every piece is extremely well made.

And very important, CoH 2 and ROME II come next year.

tru bro I myself am a very very big fan of coh and am awaiting coh2 with baited breath!!

anyways xcom is a strategy game but its not an rts game.. its a bit like rome and a bit like civilization except different... its a turn based top down tactical shooter one can say

and the other thing is one cant say strategy genre is dying at all. This game was top seller on Steam for quite a decent while recently, civilization also did very well so did total war games like shogun. In rts games, Starcraft also did well and so have other games in recent past like men of war and europe in ruins so yea hope does survive :D

The game is definitely not a RTS. As the last poster mentioned, its a Turn-based Tactical game, much like FF:TA of the past (Sadly enough, I find myself unable to remember any such game from the recent past, there have been games, but the name keeps slipping). Even shooter is stretching it since no targeting is involved, its out and out tactics...

As for the game, I love this genre (key elements- Squad that upgardes and becomes more powerful, hence RPG elements and incentive to keep them alive, technology upgrades, base management and all, and a world that responds to what you do... love it!!!). The screenshots above are definitely amazing, havent in fact come across such nice screens in my almost 15+ hr playthrough so far... but that's probably cos I was too busy enjoying the game itself...

The only downside (that I have heard) is that the game may be too short. In my experience so far, I didnt have so much trouble on the battlefield as I had off it. If you dont plan your base and satellites well in advance, you could lose key supporter nations... in my second game (I abandoned the first), I started in US, the country that provides maximum contirbution and was quite comfortable after many hours with just 1 lost squad and a lot of Captains and 6 carpace armours, and then I lost US after it reached level 5 crisis...!!! My home base!!! Quit at that point :(

#ratingraj , is there multiplayer in this ? I dont play Civ5, find it too much of a deviation from Civ4, but I have spent at least a 1,000 hours in Civ4: BTS. MP for that game sounds quite a stretch though...

@cybermantas Actually Im having the same problems as you, but what I started doing is postponing all the mission objectives and even heavy research/lab/workshop building and concentrated on launching satellites and making uplinks first because that way the nations were appeased better and your income also greatly increases which you can then use to get all kinds of things done. Its my second playthrough as well :D and Im pretty ok with protecting my units by keeping them safe. So for I have lost only two colonels on classic difficulty but yes, planning is very important for making sure that all the member nations are happy very important.

Also yes there's definitely mp in this and its on the main menu itself :p. Its basically 1v1 faceoff with a squad that you can customize and mix and match humans AND alien units. You are given a fixed number of points which you can spend on units/classes/upgrades and create your squad. Theres ranked, basic and custom modes so far. As for Civilization, I missed Civ4 cos I wasn't gaming much back then but got Civ5 when I heard the news that theyr making it so each unit takes one tile now and saw the graphics.

I have both the base game and the expansion Gods and Kings and I'll say its definitely decent fun playing it. The mp.. I only mentioned it because after trying it with my gf (she's into selective games like Civ series, portal2 and even coh which I taught her to play but no fps's) I quite liked it and there's a few friends I sometimes play it with and I must say its decent fun as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, figured that out myself too. First month 2 satellites and second month 5 satellites. Third month to get seven and fourth to get ten. (It is possible this may be five months instead of 4, I may be too aggressive for 5 satellites by 2nd month - dont think there is enough money / engineers to reach that mark, so push everything by 1).

Workshops and Labs are waste, unless you have Europe, and even then, probably not so much. Labs especially since the rate of science is good enough for me that I always have researched weapons ready to be built but not money to build them. Only exception - "Carpace Armor", thats a necessity for saving your troops and a GodSend really!

MP as 1v1, interesting idea especially if aliens are involved, worth a shot! :D. Civ5 was a very interesting concept of 1 unit per tile, but I found it too slow! Gf who plays games and that too intensive ones like Civ!!! Nice!!!

Any idea where to get a retail copy of this in Bangalore?? I tried my luck in online sites and its out of stock everywhere..

Any place near whitefield will be extremely helpful.

Got a copy in the Game Shop @ Orion Mall. It was the last copy with them in Dec's lot. Call them and find out if they have any.
This game simply rocks. There are hours and hours of gameplay.

Lol greenmangaming.com had this on sale for 20$ till yesterday which must be what a 100rs more than the Indian launch price of 999!!?? Maybe the convenience of downloading it justified it as well?
If I had seen ur post earlier would of definitely told u.. anyways do give the game a shot if you can I found it pretty nice myself :)

^^ There was a coupon which brought it down to $16. The dude has issues downloading 12 gigs at once, that's why he's looking for a retail copy.

^^ There was a coupon which brought it down to $16. The dude has issues downloading 12 gigs at once, that's why he's looking for a retail copy.

I finally had to download it and so chose to download some kinda ahem "blackbox edition" and playing it..

Sorry to the developers who cant stock thier product for genuine buyers to spend some money and instead forced to pirate them. I know I could have went ahead with the full download and spent another 1 - 1.5K for the game. But I dont think its worth to spend money on it after me spending the much more precious bandwidth which crippled my speed for rest of the month.

I am using BSNL and i have no private operators in my area :(

BTW.. can someone tell me where can i check for the current mission and objectives??

I am not able to find it anywhere :( <embarassed>

I have completed capturing that communication device from that mind controlling alien, researched on it, got my psychics and upgraded every possible thing. There are random invasions and things happeing for now and that has given me enough money on my upgrades

All I am looking for is the next main mission objective and I cant find any option to check it (most of the games use "tab" to check the objectives)

Back