Xiaomi India Battery Replacement Service Feedback

I'm thinking to get my phone's (Redmi Note 5 Pro) battery replaced. It'll complete 4 years in August 2022 since purchase.
The battery has degraded to the point where I'm getting only about 2-2.5 hours of screen on time with no heavy tasks. Idle drain has increased to like 15-20% overnight.
The battery drains superfast from 100-50% and a little slower after that.

I know it's been a long time and phone might be long overdue to change for some people here but for me honestly I've put Custom ROM on it since purchase and been updating it too. It's butter smooth for me. Everything works fine, no lags, crashes etc running on Android 11. Only battery is an issue.

Did anyone on this forum ever had their battery replaced from the service center? How was the experience/cost/battery backup after service?

I'm a little skeptical because I know some service centers run scams by replacing with non-original batteries and they also keep the original battery with them. I don't want a situation where I get a bad swap and lose my original battery too. They're asking for 1700 INR (+/- 100 Rs.). Is this legit pricing?

EDIT: My update of getting the replacement and feedback about it...

Last edited:
Anyone can check the cost of spares for all xiaomi india products in this site.

https://www.mi.com/in/service/sparepartsprice/

RN5 Pro battery cost 699rs +Service charge+GST.
1650974949254.png

Have replaced my redmi note 3 battery from MI authorised service center 2.5 years back. Costed around 1600rs i think. cant remember.
They returned the old battery when i asked them.

Battery backup of the replacement one was similar to original battery.

Last edited:
Anyone can check the cost of spares for all xiaomi india products in this site.

https://www.mi.com/in/service/sparepartsprice/

RN5 Pro battery cost 699rs +Service charge+GST.

Have replaced my redmi note 3 battery from MI authorised service center 2.5 years back. Costed around 1600rs i think. cant remember.
They returned the old battery when i asked them.

Battery backup of the replacement one was similar to original battery.
Thanks for sharing, yes I did check the prices there but then got quoted 1700 INR for the battery + service charge. I wasn't sure if it's right or not because I've never in my life went to a service center for replacement parts with out of warranty products. Only once for a dead mobo in 2013 within warranty.

Anyways, good to know I can keep my old battery. How much warranty they claim for replacement battery? I was told 3 months only.

I went today for replacing the battery. Here's how the experience was...

1) They asked for the device password/pin to be removed for "inspection" after service. They usually take serial no., IMEI etc.
2) Quoted me 1700 INR on phone a couple days back. When I submitted the device they told me 1600 INR and finally when the job was done and bill was generated it was 1238 INR. Very weird but I got a proper GST invoice.
3) They didn't give my old battery back. No matter how much I said they said their policy is to collect and recycle them. I couldn't argue much after a certain point.
4) When I got my phone back the battery was around 7% almost drained. Right now it's charging.

For information purposes my old battery was manufactured 2018/04 (I took a pic just in case they provided my battery back to crosscheck) and the new battery they provided was 2019/04 (I disassembled the device and checked if they actually replaced). It looks to be genuine but old date doesn't give me a good feeling.
I'll update here on the battery backup of the "new" battery after a couple days.

I went today for replacing the battery. Here's how the experience was...

1) They asked for the device password/pin to be removed for "inspection" after service. They usually take serial no., IMEI etc.
2) Quoted me 1700 INR on phone a couple days back. When I submitted the device they told me 1600 INR and finally when the job was done and bill was generated it was 1238 INR. Very weird but I got a proper GST invoice.
3) They didn't give my old battery back. No matter how much I said they said their policy is to collect and recycle them. I couldn't argue much after a certain point.
4) When I got my phone back the battery was around 7% almost drained. Right now it's charging.

For information purposes my old battery was manufactured 2018/04 (I took a pic just in case they provided my battery back to crosscheck) and the new battery they provided was 2019/04 (I disassembled the device and checked if they actually replaced). It looks to be genuine but old date doesn't give me a good feeling.
I'll update here on the battery backup of the "new" battery after a couple days.
What's the warranty on the battery replacement?

I'm a little skeptical because I know some service centers run scams by replacing with non-original batteries and they also keep the original battery with them.
The only way to figure this out is to weigh the phone before, too late now

and after and whether there is any difference.

The generic batteries weigh 5 gms less and yield half the run time. So you would need a scale that could pick up that much difference.

I doubt this would happen at an authorised service centre though.

The price is pretty good. You'd pay twice that for a sammy i think.

So after 1st charge I was able to run the battery for 1 day 20 hrs which had upwards of 4 hours and 30 minutes of screen-on time (this doesn't really matter as it depends on usage). All this time 5Ghz Wifi was connected and 4G network SIM working at 30-40% signal (bad reception in my home).
Overnight drain has reduced to less than 5% with same above conditions. I don't turn Wifi off at all or put in flight mode.

I'd say that's pretty good improvement over my old battery which lasted my for a day with same conditions and had a horrible standby drain of upwards of 10-12% overnight. When in use also battery depleted like crazy.

Now I'm on 2nd charge cycle. Battery is at 80% since I last charged 16 hours ago with 1 hour of screen-on time.

I'd say if you're happy with your 3-4 year old device and battery is the only issue and you wanna save money then get a battery replacement from official service center and even if this worked for like 1-2 years then it's money saved!

Just another thing to note, sometimes the phone can start acting weird if the battery is too old. A friend of mine had a samsung phone (don't remember the model, but had removable battery) which was acting weird (random hangs/reboot, wifi and cellular drops) but after battery replacement it was all normal.

Just another thing to note, sometimes the phone can start acting weird if the battery is too old. A friend of mine had a samsung phone (don't remember the model, but had removable battery) which was acting weird (random hangs/reboot, wifi and cellular drops) but after battery replacement it was all normal.
Weird, maybe because proper voltage isn't being supplied anymore but if only capacity is degraded I've never had this happened on the few phones I've owned or in my family.

Weird, maybe because proper voltage isn't being supplied anymore but if only capacity is degraded I've never had this happened on the few phones I've owned or in my family.
Mom's Redmi note 7, rooted, had the same battery issue.
On full volume when something is being played on YouTube or anywhere else, the device is used to get restarted.
Or if I try to volume up above 70-80% when something is being played device used to get restarted. I didn't try any performance oriented task or game to test this issue.
1st I thought it was a speaker or battery issue.
Then after discussing this issue on the XDA and telegram groups, they all said to replace only the battery.
After the replacement device is working normally.

Last edited:
Necroing because this came up on whats new section.

This happens because the internal resistance of lithium ion batteries go up as they are cycled (due to formation of dendrites). With higher internal resistance, internal voltage drop also goes up as current drawn goes up. That's why during high power usage tasks (active calls, camera, speaker, games) the battery voltage will drop below acceptable levels. This condition is known as brown out, and depending on which part of the circuit isn't getting proper supply, will start to exhibit undefined behaviour, or fail completely. My old OnePlus 5 after 4 years of use would restart if I were to open camera app, below 40% charge.

This happens because the internal resistance of lithium ion batteries go up as they are cycled (due to formation of dendrites). With higher internal resistance, internal voltage drop also goes up as current drawn goes up. That's why during high power usage tasks (active calls, camera, speaker, games) the battery voltage will drop below acceptable levels. This condition is known as brown out, and depending on which part of the circuit isn't getting proper supply, will start to exhibit undefined behaviour, or fail completely. My old OnePlus 5 after 4 years of use would restart if I were to open camera app, below 40% charge.
This is very insightful, thanks!

Mom's Redmi note 7, rooted, had the same battery issue.
On full volume when something is being played on YouTube or anywhere else, the device is used to get restarted.
Or if I try to volume up above 70-80% when something is being played device used to get restarted. I didn't try any performance oriented task or game to test this issue.
1st I thought it was a speaker or battery issue.
Then after discussing this issue on the XDA and telegram groups, they all said to replace only the battery.
After the replacement device is working normally.
did they reset your mom's phone to miui and lock the bootloader after service?

did they reset your mom's phone to miui and lock the bootloader after service?
no. did nothing. only changed battery.

So, now battery got damaged again and behaving the same way like earlier. 70-80% above volume device restarts.
So this time, I decided to go to the local repair.
Repair guy said note 7 batteries are weak, you will have to replace again after sometime if you replace battery now original, 2nd party or 3rd party whichever..
So he did quick fix "bypassed the bms module using jumper" for ₹200
And that solved problem.
Repair guy said that he have same mobile and did the same thing. never replaced battery.

So, now battery got damaged again and behaving the same way like earlier. 70-80% above volume device restarts.
Repair guy said note 7 batteries are weak, you will have to replace again after sometime if you replace battery now original, 2nd party or 3rd party whichever..
And that solved problem.
Repair guy said that he have same mobile and did the same thing. never replaced battery.
I want to replace battery of my Redmi note 7 pro and when I approached MI sc they said ignore online rates as now rates have inflated and he quoted me 1.8k for the battery.
I walked-into few local shops and they offered me batteries ranging 800 bucks to 1400 and said even MI so called original batteries wont last long as the original ones which got shipped with the phone.

Still not finding time to get it replaced..
And that solved problem.
Beware

Last edited:

And that solved problem.
Countdown to disaster fiddling with battery management system.

I want to replace battery of my Redmi note 7 pro and when I approached MI sc they said ignore online rates as now rates have inflated and he quoted me 1.8k for the battery.
I walked-into few local shops and they offered me batteries ranging 800 bucks to 1400 and said even MI so called original batteries wont last long as the original ones which got shipped with the phone.

Still not finding time to get it replaced..

Beware
Why wont mi official batteries last long? Are they selling sub par ones when compared to the one that came with the phone.
Or is it just something that local repair guys say.

Back