Budget 10-15K Xiaomi Mi3 or Moto G

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
Which one is crowd puller these days and why? Was looking to recommend the Moto G to someone but don't want to regret not seeking the community opinion on the Mi3 as it is the hot topic these days on TE.

Yeah when Quality mattered more than Quantity.
Anyway personally I would still choose and also recommend the Moto G over the Mi3 for these main reasons: the G being some months old I don't have reliability doubt, trusted model everywhere, dual-SIM because you cannot trust a single telecom network operator nowadays, and a much lower price tag. Lowest possible price of the Moto G is 12000 (excluding student 5% and SBI offers) against Mi3's 14k. Won't mention camera quality because its no better than Mi3's.
And as an ardent user of both the sets, I would recommend just the opposite. Even though Mi3 is new in India, it has been in the International market for long, and has been a pretty stable piece of tech till now. Not only that, better screen (FHD; 5 inches), better camera, the price difference not being much, much better processor and GPU. Looks better than G (slimmer profile). It's a no brainer really.
And this is coming from a person who has used both since launch. Launch Moto G user, launch Mi3 user.
@iPwnz: Have you even used a MI3 or is it just an inherent bias you're presenting here ?

Xiaomi Mi3 all the way, Don't know how people are judging service info here, Motorola shut shop in India long back along with their service network, the Moto relaunch is via Flipkart as importer, seller and service provider and both Motorola and Xiaomi share most of their service centres due to which you can read horrible service centre reviews about Moto G on Flipkart. Atleast Xiaomi is committed and are opening new Xiaomi exclusive service centres too along with these shared service centres and customer friendly handset replacement policy.

And as for the underlined part I have my doubt mainly because none of us have owned it for even a month.
You might think that these are baseless claims.
I don't think there will be a problem with the hardware as they use branded components. However if one drops the phone then it will be interesting to see what the response is.

My doubts are over software ie how responsive they are to user complaints. Thing is this device is nearing a year old now and major bugs ought to have been fixed. A browse their forums did not give me that impression though. It's really hard to gauge whether there are outstanding software issues or not. Talking to people here who actually own the device you would think its not bad. Will they say the same after six months remains to be seen. Once they have had time to play around and try different things. Its clear the moto g people are still happy. In six months we should have a pretty good idea about Xiaomi too.

Anyway personally I would still choose and also recommend the Moto G over the Mi3 for these main reasons: the G being some months old I don't have reliability doubt, trusted model everywhere, dual-SIM because you cannot trust a single telecom network operator nowadays, and a much lower price tag. Lowest possible price of the Moto G is 12000 (excluding student 5% and SBI offers) against Mi3's 14k. Won't mention camera quality because its no better than Mi3's.
I would say wait till next month when the successor to moto g will be announced. Why settle now.

Last edited:
Bought myself 2 MOTO Gs at launch one for me and one for my brother and here's my take.
The phone itself is exceptional for its price and we are satisfied with the device so far. But I do regret the decision to jump in on the hype and buy at the launch itself. Firstly one month after my purchase FK offered 10% cash back on Axis Bank cards which could have saved me around 3000 bucks. Secondly It is now available at 2000 less with the last stocks remaining, so if I had bought it around now I could have saved a further Rs.4000.

I think FK is just creating an artificial demand for the MI3, and when the hype dies I bet we can get the same for a discounted price. What you think guys?

That's what i feel . Fk creates artificial demand . Look at the mi3 mess . Moto g and e created the same hype and now their prices have dropped . Mi3 prices too will drop and stock too will be readily available a month later . Be patient . If you like mi3 buy it a month later or if you like moto g buy it now or wait some 15 days and buy the moto g successor .

I think FK is just creating an artificial demand for the MI3, and when the hype dies I bet we can get the same for a discounted price. What you think guys?
They could start offering the 64Gb Mi-3 model ? how many would have opted for that in the first place.

See what Samsung did with the s5, hey here is the new s5, only 50k, one month later its 38k, two months later they offer the snapdragon version that is 4g capable (!), next we hear there is something called s5 prime which is a 4k version of the s5 :banghead:

Moto G2 will mostly be named Moto G itself , looking at the packaging, if this holds any ground, leaks from the Flipkart Warehouse!
In a post on Google+, developer Akshat Mittal shared a picture of the retail box of the Moto G (2014) which supposedly was shot in the Flipkart warehouse. Then he posted the prices for the two variants of the Moto G. “More information for the new Moto G on +Flipkart. Pricing: ₹11,999 for 16GB – ₹14,999 for 32GB. (Or ₹1,000 less for each) Btw, +Flipkart currently have 70,000 units for sale initially,” the second post said. The retail box clearly shows the name of the phone as Moto G, which means Motorola will not be going with a G2 or G+1 as some rumours have said.

Source

I think you should go with Moto G -2nd Gen.

I myself was looking for Mi3 but can't get it in 2-3 consecutive sales, so purchased Desire 816 instead. My friend purchased Xiaomi's Redmi 1s, and he seems to be pretty unhappy with the built and quality of the handset. He is continuously facing hang & battery issues and is in talk with FK to get refund.

So I recommend to wait for atleast 3-4 months more to get a proper user review of Xiaomi's Product before purchasing them.

Bought myself 2 MOTO Gs at launch one for me and one for my brother and here's my take.
The phone itself is exceptional for its price and we are satisfied with the device so far. But I do regret the decision to jump in on the hype and buy at the launch itself. Firstly one month after my purchase FK offered 10% cash back on Axis Bank cards which could have saved me around 3000 bucks. Secondly It is now available at 2000 less with the last stocks remaining, so if I had bought it around now I could have saved a further Rs.4000.

The hype you are talking about is deliberate, happens when phones are launched and a ton of other stuff .. cars too. So Yes you are right. Thing is since you have used the G for months you are thinking like this. If you had not bought the G until now you would've been loosing your sleep over it. That is why the hype is created - to lure customers like you ;)

Back