xp installation problem

VinayaK

Disciple
hey i have a compaq pentium 1.73ghz, 1gb ram laptop the system had a 40gb hdd, i recently got a 160 gb segatte hdd . installed windows. Initially it did startup with the boot preference being the rom as first and hdd as second. after a few restarts it did not go past the windows logo paga where the 3 dots move as progress bar, i tried changing the boot sequence, its still the same. pls help

Vinayak

roadrippersid said:
Well it shud work rit as its not posting or not yet into windows.. so mit work

Chances are very less but he can try ;) ,Lets wait for his reply.I guess HDD is gone bad or some bad sector:S

@Vinayak try the following

1) Hit F8 when u turn on the computer ,u will get windows advanced options menu

2)Select Disable automatic restarts on system failure and try to boot ,this is to check what is the error

3) Try to boot to safe mode

Post here whats happening

yea i had to hard boot since it did not use to get past the window xp splash screen. I tried doin hard boot after waitin for 10-15 min and still it did not move past the splash screen. I dunno what is the problem as I have tried formatting and reinstalling xp over 3 times now. The problem still persists, Still it does not move past the splash sceen. I will try doin wat metal spree told me and update. The boot sequence at xp set up will have to be obviously first optical drive and second hard drive. After xp got installed and I was encountering problems I thought perhaps I need to change the boot sequence once the setup is over. Help

Thnx
-Vinayak

Back