Xperia Z shattered screen - Help

Hi,

A few days back i accidentally dropped my iPad (3rd gen) on my Xperia Z and the screen got cracked at the point of impact and stopped working. The iPad fell on one of its edges from about 1ft. So I took the phone to the service center to hopefully get the screen replaced but I was shocked to here what they had to say. They told me that they don't have authority to open the phone and that it has to go the head office, now the interesting part is that apparently they cannot replace only the screen and will have to replace the entire phone. The replacement can only happen if I pay 80% of the phone cost.
I told them that I was not interested in a replacement and left. Is there any place where they can replace the screen or do I have to throw it away :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tln44jjpmvnrvlx/photo.JPG

Last edited:
Can you take this in writing form from them and make it public ... or sue them in Consumer Court? This will bring them to senses..... You have already paid a handsome price for that phone and they should not blackmail you like this....

But that doesn't mean they ask for 80% of phone cost as replacement charges. Nominal charges are acceptable (but don't say that its water and dust proof body itself is costing 80% of total phone cost). People can buy new good smartphone in that 80% cost.

^^ Exactly...... He can buy a brand new Xperia Z at that cost. I agree the hassles with repairing a dust/water proof body but even then the charges should be reasonable and justifiable...

Not gonna comment on manufacturer service centers ripping the public off because it's old news.

What i wanna know is how you dropped a tablet on a phone? As in was the phone on the floor and you dropped the tablet from your hand? And a 1 foot drop leading to a cracked screen is ridiculous. When they call it gorilla glass it should be able to take more than that.

The post in the whirlpool.net.au forum is even more ridiculous. The person put some load on his thigh pocket in which the phone was and that cracked the screen!

You can check ebay or amazon etc for replacement screens. But they're getting harder and harder to replace easily these days.

wow, 80% WOAHHH!!!

Seriously, I am gonna tell my friends/cousins to not go for this phone. They are gonna get shocked hearing this news.

sony service sucks in india. i had very bad experience with xperia zr which was not waterproof out of the box , the service center guys said its common issue with xperia z and zr and didnt test it , they asked me to submit application and they will escalate the issue, 2 weeks no reply yet and even the mail to sony was not responded. sold off that ZR finally and decided to stay away from waterproof models.

in ur case they ask 80% of phone price and assuming its MRP ( 38k , u will end up paying 30k which is close to what u get using coupons ) , means if screen is broken , phone is as good as nothing according to sony.

some more posts related to screen cracking here http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/127609?start=10&tstart=0

Last edited:
Not gonna comment on manufacturer service centers ripping the public off because it's old news.

What i wanna know is how you dropped a tablet on a phone? As in was the phone on the floor and you dropped the tablet from your hand? And a 1 foot drop leading to a cracked screen is ridiculous. When they call it gorilla glass it should be able to take more than that.

The post in the whirlpool.net.au forum is even more ridiculous. The person put some load on his thigh pocket in which the phone was and that cracked the screen!

You can check ebay or amazon etc for replacement screens. But they're getting harder and harder to replace easily these days.

basically i was taking the iPad out of my bag then it slipped out of my hand and unfortunately my phone was there at the point of impact. I guess there is nothing that can be done here so I have asked my friend in the states to check if something can be done there.

OP, have you tried contacting top management people? Some time it may help!

My personal experience with NOKIA here . I got AT&T lumia 920 and with in two days sim contact got broken and phone became useless:( I know i cannot claim warranty in india, but i was ready to pay repair charges. When i contacted service center, they were not interested in doing service and not even accepted citing AT&T model. Sent a mail to Stephen Elop and got a reply very next day(not sure whether he personally responds or some other person monitors). Next day service center accepted it for servicing and after one month, they returned saying non-serviceable as it requires 80% of the device cost :( I didnt give up and sent one more email citing the design issue... after two weeks got a replacement with free of cost :D

Last edited:
When they call it gorilla glass it should be able to take more than that.
Xperia's don't have gorilla glass on the front screen, its dragontail. Little weaker than gorilla according to this video

The xperias need more care than other gorilla glass screens.

Last edited:

My personal experience with NOKIA here . I got AT&T lumia 920 and with in two days sim contact got broken and phone became useless:( I know i cannot claim warranty in india, but i was ready to pay repair charges. When i contacted service center, they were not interested in doing service and not even accepted citing AT&T model. Sent a mail to Stephen Elop and got a reply very next day(not sure whether he personally responds or some other person monitors). Next day service center accepted it for servicing and after one month, they returned saying non-serviceable as it requires 80% of the device cost :( I didnt give up and sent one more email citing the design issue... after two weeks got a replacement with free of cost :D

Such gestures would definitely help promoting Lumias, kudos

Most companies seem interested in just selling the device to consumers and then forget about customer service.

Then there is no difference in brands like Sony or local brands, if they cannot provide proper service (in reasonable amount).

Better to stay away from Z and switch to Sammy.

Please share Stephen Elop mail id;)

Agree, OP should try and approach their Alfa Center. You might not have bought it there but its a Sony product nonetheless.

I met the person that runs the alfa in my city and he is very effective at resolving such issues. Was in the shop the other day and he was chewing somebody up about replacements. Do it or else kinda thing. I just know if i ever bought anything from this shop that the owner would have my back. Building relationships.

When i first met him, he told me, this is not the kind of shop where the eating occurs here and the digestion somewhere else :)

Am going to go there next week to check out the ZR so will ask him this.

Last edited:
Back