@Tech123

Disciple
Hi All

I was thinking of buying a mobile phone
I am confused between Xperia ZR and Samsung Galaxy S4
Here are my concerns.

The dilemma with ZR

1) Dilemma 1 :

only approx 4.5 GB internal memory available to user , as there is no option to install apps in SD card
So with many apps this space will fill up fast , then what do I do? I am not confident with rooting and I do not think I will be able to Root in the warranty period.

2) Dilemma 2 :

OTG ( USB on the go ) what does wiki mean when it says “Note that OTG mode is not officially supported due to Micro-B instead of Micro-AB receptacle (when compared to Xperia Z). This results that standard USB OTG cable cannot be used, but cable adapter with micro-B plug and standard A socket allows to connect peripheral USB devices such as keyboard, mouse, flash drive, sound card.”
Please check this link( scroll down to connectivity and connections ):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Xperia_ZR
So if I buy a USB OTG cable and connect my USB mouse or pen drive or keyboard will it work? What do they mean by Micro B type OTG, what do they mean by non standard USB OTG cable?

3) Dilemma 3 :

HDMI connectivity- know this phone has MHL capability , but then again I am going to need micro B to Hdmi connector ain’t I. Is it easy to get ?
So basically these 3 were my main concerns about ZR.

Samsung Galaxy S4:

I have heard that initially this phone had lots of problems, heating issue and lag.
Over time I believe Samsung released OTA updates and problems have been sorted.
But have the problems completely been sorted, or is the device still heating up and lagging?

S4 had approx 9GB free space in the internal memory so that is sufficient for me and additionally there is a provision to move apps to SD card. So in terms of memory this phone is good even without rooting.
So friends please help me here.

These phones are not going to be cheap for me and I do not want to have any regrets after buying.
Please help me with the type B micro USB on ZR and pen drive, mouse, keyboard and HDMI connectivity. Will it be an issue to connect to my HDMI TV and connect mouse and keyboard with this phone.( ZR)

Is the S4 completely healed now? Or does the phone still lag and heat up now.
ZR or S4, if you have either one, please share your personal experiences and guide us all. Your help will be appreciated by all.
Waiting for your precious suggestions.

S4 heats up, yes. If you run it on KitKat and have an Exynos model then forget about rooting as it will bring so many problems. So I would suggest S4 if you wanna get the Snapdragon model only.

Hi thanks for your reply, but I guess the Snap dragon is not available in authorized outlets , and if I buy the snapdragon version from unauthorized sources I may land up with a Chinese fake.
Also warranty is required for peace of mind.

Also please enlighten more, is it possible to get an original snapdragon S4 in India.

using the one that is available in India - GT -I9500 is it really going to be that bad.

Check this link
http://whatswithjeff.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-exynos-octa-core-vs-snapdragon-600/

It praises the Exynos one.

I am sure people have successfully rooted their Exynos versions without any issues.

They have rooted the Exynos version, NOT without any problem. There will be several problems as I have mentioned, unless you wanna stay on Jelly Bean. S4 on 4.3 is the most stable one.

I don't see a point of that article either. Only crazies will say Exynos is better than Snapdragon. Anyway, if you wanna have warranty and peace of mind then you will have to buy the Exynos version. If you wanna get the SD then have a look at eBay. Trusted old sellers won't cheat you with fake models, I think.

They have rooted the Exynos version, NOT without any problem. There will be several problems as I have mentioned, unless you wanna stay on Jelly Bean. S4 on 4.3 is the most stable one.

I don't see a point of that article either. Only crazies will say Exynos is better than Snapdragon. Anyway, if you wanna have warranty and peace of mind then you will have to buy the Exynos version. If you wanna get the SD then have a look at eBay. Trusted old sellers won't cheat you with fake models, I think.

Hi
Thanks for the info that S4 on 4.3 is the most stable one, certainly will keep that in mind.
also are you aware of the CCI issue on the S4 the Cache Coherent interconnect issue as it is called. Samsung messed up a little with the 5410 Eynos , the switching between Cortex A-15 quadcore and A-7 quadcore introduces some lag. the CCI is disabled in Exynos 5410 it seems.

Exynos was meant for better GPU's , but since there were no better Mali Gpu's at that time , Samsung in a hurry to launch S4 went with PowerVR SGX544MP3.( At least that is the story , somewhat)

Exynos 5410 and PowerVR SGX544MP3 do not work very well . Read somewhere that the CCI bug was resolved, then again read somewhere that it is an hardware issue which cannot be resolved.

Since only one Quadcore processor is active at one time either 1.6 Ghz ( A-15 Cortex )or 1.2 Ghz( A-7 Cortex) the Exynos 5410 is not as efficient as the 1.9 Ghz snapdragon 600 krait 300 used in the I9505 S4.

Understandably 1.9 Ghz is higher than 1.6Ghz or 1.2Ghz.

Hence users have tried to over clock the Cortex A-15 1.6 Ghz to 1.9 Ghz or more in the Exynos used in S4 I9500 to achieve same or better processing power than the Snapdragon 600.

This limited use of the processor was kind of wastage , the full power and potential of the octa cores are not being utilized.

Heterogeneous Multi-Processing (HMP) is when all the eight cores work at the same time simultaneously, initially it was thought that S4 will be given the HMP update OTA but it was not due to stability and reliability issues.

Samsung galaxy S5 on the other hand with the Exynos 5420 has HMP and all the eight cores can work simultaneously if required or a combination of the A-15 and A-7 quadcores , unlike the 5410 where only one quadcore was active at one time.

So it seems that the Exynos 5410 has a Bug , but still its a mighty processor and there are many possibilities that can be done with this processor.
Someone even managed to use all the eight cores simultaneously but fried the phone, yes the heat generated was too much with all the eight cores running together at the same frequency .

But I think we can overclock the A-15 Cortex Quadcore from 1.6 to say 1.9 Ghz and make it as efficient as the 1.9 Ghz of the Snapdragon600 .

Last edited:
Well I wasn't aware of that detailed info. Do remember AnderiLux saying something about the HMP but didn't really notice it carefully. All I know that whatever Exynos CPU was inside S4 was crap. Cause I was not able to use any governor other than ondemand, and if I had used then upper clock frequency was fraked up, it never reached 1600 MHz! Which was bloody awful. I used to use Interactive as it was most stable and smooth but with S4, nah.

Now I need to make sure if S5 Snapdragon version has this disgusting big or not...

Back