You may get 3 yrs in jail, Rs 3 lakhs fine for downloading copyrighted content

@xman0752 , if you had read the thread, you would have known that the earlier news reports were wrong that in even visiting a blocked site will make you eligible for punishment. That's not true.... as per the latter news reports that came out. Merely visiting a blocked site won't make you eligible for punishment.

Read the thread for more details.

Is there any way to prove that i have accidentally clicked any blocked site or i trapped myself on those unusual pop ups ,,,,,,,,,,to DOT

^^ If you are able to access objectionable AND blocked content without any workarounds then you are NOT in trouble. It simply means your ISP is not keen on blocking the content. You can click anywhere on the webpage/pop-ups etc. But downloading any copyrighted stuff should be avoided, whether our govt issues any notification in this regard or not. People were penalized even before August's warning messages.

Is there any way to prove that i have accidentally clicked any blocked site
So, if your ISP is allowing you to access a blocked site and you still get caught then your excuse can be that you didn't receive the warning message.

And if you are bypassing the block and get caught then you can 'easily' ( :p ) save your ass by saying that
- your WiFi was hacked and your neighbor might be the culprit. Destroy your offending machine to avoid tracing it's mac id.
- your dog or cat did it. Learn to develop a poker face beforehand.

People were penalized even before August's warning messages.

I was thinking about this. What, if any, legal action has been taken against people in India regarding downloads and other online machmach...

- your WiFi was hacked and your neighbor might be the culprit. Destroy your offending machine to avoid tracing it's mac id

No need to destroy and it may still be recovered from the n/w chip. Most network devices MAC ids can be spoofed. No one should be running on the h/w MAC anyway. Only the spoofed id will be recorded in all logs. If you have the time or opportunity to (securely) wipe your OS partition, then they will never be able to prove that it was your physical h/w that was connecting using your userid/password to xyx servers. Now, you can use the must have been hacked excuse. As you can see i've given this some thought ;-)

No need to destroy and it may still be recovered from the n/w chip. Most network devices MAC ids can be spoofed.
Ignore that part... both the points were mentioned in jest. I have spoofed mac ids before. BTW, If you ever get caught on the wrong side of the law then the only person who can save your ass is ram jethmalani :p

I used to work from home when I was in the US in 2008. I tried to download a legal torrent related to linux and my ISP revoked my internet access within a minute. I thought my India office laptop conked off, so I started the download on US office laptop. Again, net access revoked immediately. Before I tried to do the same on my personal laptop, I realized that I might be in trouble. US ISPs didn't like torrents back then.

I tried to reason with the ISP that as they were my office's property, probably my colleague used it in my absence :D. But they didn't buy that story. So, I had no option but to spoof the mac ids. Machines were working fine at home but I had a hard time explaining the IT guys why I couldn't join the LAN while in office. :dead:
If you have the time or opportunity to (securely) wipe your OS partition, then they will never be able to prove that it was your physical h/w
With some effort, the authorities can link your wiped out machine with those downloads. There are so many places where you'd have left a trace. In case of a laptop, they can contact the manufacturer for hardware details. Or checkout your invoice etc. What if you forgot to wipe your router logs? On top of that, a fresh OS install is always suspicious. And such things do happen in real world. I was once interrogated by Israeli authorities as they had some doubts about my laptop and its contents. Everything was fine... I didn't do anything wrong.

You really need to have all your bases covered to exercise "plausible deniability."

what if i use onion router like Tor for anonymous usage
What if i use a separate :LAN card
What are your intentions? Do you want to access the blocked content?

If you are a big fish then there'll be repercussions but they usually let go of small time downloaders with a warning. I don't know what happens if you are the former type... I've read about such stories only in the newspapers. They get arrested and fined etc. If you are latter, then you can expect a notice from your ISP stating when and what illegal content was downloaded from your side. They may ask you to pay a fine and expect a response. Most of the offenders choose not to respond and admit their mistake. They also stop downloading anymore illegal content - which is what the ISPs want in the first place. If the complaint is lodged by some big shots like Sony (or Avid :p) then ISPs fine heavily a few offenders, to set an example for rest of the downloaders. They obviously can't run after each every downloader - so, strict action is meant for big fish only.

It's assumed that ISPs can't see your content if you are using Tor/VPN/encrypted torrent connections etc., but I believe that they can put in some effort to trace your stuff, if they think you are a big catch and worth their time & money.

My friend uses streaming services like Putlocker in the US. You download the torrent on a server somewhere in a Scandinavian country and then just watches it on his PC without downloading it. This saves his ass because of the loophole that he isn't downloading or hosting illegal content on his machine.
I used to use Premiumize.me but I used to download the relevant file from the downloaded torrent to my machine. One can use a VPN for such a download and 99% of the time one will be safe.
Plus, I don't think companies take piracy of foreign stuff seriously in India. Once such providers bring that content to India, then we might have to become serious about covering our tracks.

Plus, I don't think companies take piracy of foreign stuff seriously in India. Once such providers bring that content to India, then we might have to become serious about covering our tracks.

But if they bring the content (at a reasonable price) then why would there be a need to pirate.

Just allow adults to watch/listen to whatever they want in a convenient manner. Piracy will drop off although it will never be 100% eliminated. Same way steam caused me to stop pirating games long ago, and the streaming music services/youtube have caused me to not download a song in almost 5 years. Hotstar/Netflix india/Prime video look promising.

But if they bring the content (at a reasonable price) then why would there be a need to pirate.

Just allow adults to watch/listen to whatever they want in a convenient manner. Piracy will drop off although it will never be 100% eliminated. Same way steam caused me to stop pirating games long ago, and the streaming music services/youtube have caused me to not download a song in almost 5 years. Hotstar/Netflix india/Prime video look promising.
Some people like to hoard. Plus streaming services doesn't give one ownership of the content despite paying for it. One needs to use their app even for downloaded content. Their terms clearly say that even after paying for something, it can be removed at a later date if they have a fall out with the original publisher.

And lastly, there is censorship. I bought Fort Minor's album on iTunes and it had all the curse words removed. Same would be true if I were to buy their CD in India. I don't know about you but one can't listen to hip-hop which usually has a lot of curse words. Same goes for nudity or scenes which show extreme violence. So, even despite paying, one can't get the true experience and hence there always will be piracy.

Some people like to hoard. Plus streaming services doesn't give one ownership of the content despite paying for it. One needs to use their app even for downloaded content. Their terms clearly say that even after paying for something, it can be removed at a later date if they have a fall out with the original publisher.

And lastly, there is censorship. I bought Fort Minor's album on iTunes and it had all the curse words removed. Same would be true if I were to buy their CD in India. I don't know about you but one can't listen to hip-hop which usually has a lot of curse words. Same goes for nudity or scenes which show extreme violence. So, even despite paying, one can't get the true experience and hence there always will be piracy.

I agree. Piracy is not going to go away 100%, it will always have the hoarders and the stingy people, BUT if I am able to access the content easily, most of the piracy will disappear, especially if the content is not censored.

I believe hotstar has uncensored shows. I might give them a try for a month. Dunno about Netflix.

I don't have a TV simply because i refuse to spend 100s of rupees a month on a cable/dth pack and then be forced to watch their stupid ads, which almost seem to be longer than the actual programme. I also don't smoke even though most of my friends do, so i certainly don't need to see that stupid warning subtext everytime someone lights up or holds a glass of fake booze on screen.

I almost never go to the cinema these days because I won't be forced to stand to the national anthem before watching an effing movie like it's a fascist country, as if that proves some kind of patriotism. If anything it's undemocratic and insulting to the national anthem. I also don't like subs being forced into so many english movies even in metro cities. I also don't understand the concept of an adults only movie in the cinema and then everything's cut out. Oh yeah, that's probably because of the stupid couple that brings their infants to watch basic instinct.

there's way too much wrong with the current system and the solution is true uncensored affordable streaming. but i'm sure they'll mess that up too here...

I don't have a TV simply because i refuse to spend 100s of rupees a month on a cable/dth pack and then be forced to watch their stupid ads, which almost seem to be longer than the actual programme. I also don't smoke even though most of my friends do, so i certainly don't need to see that stupid warning subtext everytime someone lights up or holds a glass of fake booze on screen.

I almost never go to the cinema these days because I won't be forced to stand to the national anthem before watching an effing movie like it's a fascist country, as if that proves some kind of patriotism. If anything it's undemocratic and insulting to the national anthem. I also don't like subs being forced into so many english movies even in metro cities. I also don't understand the concept of an adults only movie in the cinema and then everything's cut out. Oh yeah, that's probably because of the stupid couple that brings their infants to watch basic instinct.

there's way too much wrong with the current system and the solution is true uncensored affordable streaming. but i'm sure they'll mess that up too here...
Don't you watch any sports?

pretty much all i watch too, live footie i can understand the urge, but f1 i've grown accustomed to watching slightly deferred. since kat is down though, everything is a bit more difficult..

What if someone accidentally visits a banned site ?
Then you would be charged with "Involuntary Manslaughter" instead of "murder" LOL .....
Just Kidding :)[DOUBLEPOST=1475765969][/DOUBLEPOST]
what if i use onion router like Tor for anonymous usage
TOR is not for torrenting Please refrain from using TOR for torrenting because it would deteriorate the user experience for every other TOR user because of the TOR network can't handle the excess load.
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/bittorrent-over-tor-isnt-good-idea

Last edited:
Only if I could go anonymous here then I would state the heart of every Indian about torrenting.
Well,anyway....
I read all the comments here and I am very surprised to find that no one even once cared to mention anything about "Net Neutrality".
http://tech.firstpost.com/news-anal...-and-why-it-is-important-in-india-262120.html
For me, Net Neutrality is the right of every user to have access each and every corner of "the internet" with reasonable speed.(Source:AIB)
And blocking any p2p file sharing site or any other website contradicts the NET Neutrality.
So it's a high time for us to stand for our rights!!!!!

Back