Your Gaming Backlog/Progress Report!

Ghost of Sparta and Chains of Olympus are a part of the series but not directly related to the events that happen in the three titles. Chains of Olympus serves as a prequel to God of War and Ghost of Sparta is sort of an interquel, set between God of War and God of War II.
GOW has nudity...:O
I didnt know that...I was happily playing it in my drawing room. Was lucky no one saw it...:p

Haha yeah it does. :hilarious:

Hey but don't miss out on those mini games. You are going to get a better dose of it as you progress through. And hey create a GOW Collection discussion thread in the Consoles section. We don't have one for the remastered I & II versions. You can post more about the two titles in that thread. :)

Started Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - HD Edition (PS3).

I started playing the HD collection with this game long ago and instantly ditched it due to shoddy controls. How did you connect with the storyline having going through the series in reverse order? Also, how quickly did you get adapted to the gameplay? Did you go all stealth?

This is probably the only major stealth action series I have missed out on till now.

Completed Mass Effect 3.

Extremely boring last moments. Can't even skip the very long cutscenes.

The ending of some very important characters was very abrupt too.

There wasn't an auto save right before you're supposed to make the final choice. I didn't care much for the ending. Just wanted the game to get over. Mass Effect 2's Suicide Mission owns ME3.

^^ Isn't it supposed to be the best MG title?

Downloading Dota 2 on Steam and League of Legends. Haven't played an RTS in ages since Dragon Age Origins haven't seen anything isometric.

I started playing the HD collection with this game long ago and instantly ditched it due to shoddy controls. How did you connect with the storyline having going through the series in reverse order? Also, how quickly did you get adapted to the gameplay? Did you go all stealth?

This is probably the only major stealth action series I have missed out on till now.

I started with MGS4 and frankly couldn't understand the parts of the story where the game kept referencing incidents and characters from the past games, specially where Old Snake had those flashbacks. But nevertheless... the game was a masterpiece and never have I really enjoyed viewing cut-scenes like in this title. When I got the MGS HD pack I straight-away started with MGS2 but after a few minutes of trying I quit. The controls were very awkward and it hit me harder as I had just completed MGS4 which had much better controls. Playing the game in top-down viewing aspect and then switching to FPV while aiming was not a very smooth process. It was clunky and it quickly frustrated me.

I went on to MGS3 and I was impressed! This game was just just fantastic. If you have not played MGS3: Snake Eater... this is the part I strongly recommend it to you mate. I think this game just encompasses everything that a good title needs. Great story, fantastic stealth-gameplay, great long cut-scenes, apt environment and the way Snake has to use the environment to his advantage with different camouflages, the healing system, the stupendous boss-fights... I mean I could go on. The game plays out in third-person view and is a lot like MGS4. However, the aiming still feels a tad stiff with the controller but after a few hours into the game I felt much at ease with the controls. The only area where I could strike off a few points are the graphics department which seem dated now, but that's justifiable. To me personally, the MGS series reached it's pinnacle with this game.

After completing MGS3 I started MGS: Peace Walker. I'm not going to really write anything much about this game. I didn't complete it, this didn't feel anything like an MGS game to me. No actual cut-scenes (substituted by comic book styled sequences), boring game-play and the game's AI wasn't impressive at all. I went as far as completing the first chapter of the game and then had pretty much had enough of it. Quit.

The stealth quench in me wasn't filled yet because the lingering thought that I probably should have invested a bit more time in MGS2 made me give it a another try and this time lo and behold the entire control mechanism of switching to FPV (while aiming) and playing the rest of the game in a third-person top-down perspective didn't feel all that bad like it felt when I first tried it. I really have no clue how this happened but it did and I wasn't complaining! I completed the game and it was a gratifying experience. I would say when you do pick up the game Ethan give the controls a bit of time to get accustomed to. To begin with they are a bit frustrating but once you get the hang of switching to FPV quickly this game really shines. Moving around is easy in the game, it's the aiming part that needs a bit of practice to get right.

My recommendation to you would be two games largely from the MGS HD pack: MGS 2: Son's of Liberty and MGS3: Snake Eater. Do play them!

A word about the stealth aspect: I went complete stealth, as far as I possibly could. It's just way more easier to get through the game when your putting guards to sleep and making your way through, crawling and walking softly as and when needed. Both in MGS2 and 3 the AI is sharp (even on normal difficulty mode) and guards will not hesitate to investigate sources of immediate noise. Whenever I did get caught I restarted from an earlier save point. You can evade alerts in this game by hiding when the alert mode kicks in if Snake is seen but being the subtle stealth guy I like to be in these kind of games, I had to try and keep things nice and clean. That being said... I couldn't get through MGS4 with no kills, I plan to re-play that title sometime soon and go for that pristine no-kill stealth feat.

Story-wise I wouldn't say I lost much by playing the game in reverse order. I didn't feel story elements got ruined due to this factor while playing MGS2 and 3. The titles felt equally riveting to me. I must mention here MGS2 has so many twists in it's story it can put a tangled wire to shame!

P.S. Sorry for the long post... hate to be sketchy regarding MGS. :)

Excellent! I think I made the wrong choice of starting out with Sons of Liberty. The controls scheme really put me off and I was playing on the Xbox 360, while the people on other gaming boards said that it was better on the PS3 (being a PS2 title). From a chronological stand-point, I understand that Snake Eater is supposed to be the very first Metal Gear game. So would it be ideal to play that, move onto MGS4 and then try and attempt Sons of Liberty?

Is it really necessary to play Sons of Liberty? I mean from a story-line perspective. Thanks!

Is it really necessary to play Sons of Liberty? I mean from a story-line perspective. Thanks!

I would give it a play-through personally. Once you get past the control issues, and with a little practice and persistence it can be done, this is a great game mate. The many twists and turns in the game right upto the end will keep you hooked. :)

P.S. The controls are easy once you develop that habit of switching to FPV while aiming down a weapon. Get that mastered and this game will flow smooth from that point on. Be sure to save your in-game progress pretty frequently as well!

Done with Halo 3. Visuals were a bit appalling but I am to be blamed for playing such an old title. Shall continue with the series and begin ODST today. It was good to reunite with Master Chief after a long time. :D

PC:

Shank - Co-op
NFS: Hot Pursuit
Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions
James Bond 007: Blood Stone
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - Co-op
Deathspank
Deathspank: Thongs of Virtue
Red Faction: Guerilla
Red Faction: Guerilla DLC
Dead Space 2
Painkiller: Resurrection