Your recent experience while shopping internationally from ebay.com?

GeeBee007

Disciple
Ordered a kb from ebay...Need to know any kind of problems i might face and precautions i should take..product value is 4k

I had purchased a keyboard of 6k in the past. As long as the seller mentions a price lower than $30, it is likely to go through without additional charges.

If it is shipped from China, there is a likelihood that customs won't let it through. But the Chinese sellers ship from all around Asia, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Had ordered a few Baseus cables (under $5) with free shipping around Feb. Took over 90 days to reach, the seller was based out of CN, and it mostly went via several countries before reaching me.

Ordered some internal laptop fans from eBay. Came in 22 days (Free shipping) package was first shipped from Guangdong, China to Malaysia then to India & the value was marked as $15 so no customs duty.

Can someone point me towards a comprehensive guide or give out few tips on avoiding customs? The thought my parcel being stuck with customs with a 50% something duty on it has kept me from ordering anything from abroad. Sorry for hijacking your thread op.

Can someone point me towards a comprehensive guide or give out few tips on avoiding customs? The thought my parcel being stuck with customs with a 50% something duty on it has kept me from ordering anything from abroad. Sorry for hijacking your thread op.
+1, never ordered anything international due to this except from a couple times from ibhejo recently.

Ordered fans from UK (~40$) just after the end of covid lockdown, went through customs without a hitch luckily.
I have ordered a Lenovo part today which is around 40$, the will ship through FedEx l. Let's wait and watch the customs drama now

FedEx is almost certain to trigger not only customs but also their own service fee for the pleasure of paying the customs fee. Had a terrible time with Fedex handling a low value package from Adafruit last year.

Low value and small sized packages are going through relatively smoothly now through regular EMS/ regular post. Recently received multiple packages through the same. And CN sellers have already routing packages through places like Netherlands for a couple of years since the country-based discrimination started.

Ordered some analogue replacement sticks for controllers worth ~ 600 from ebay in March this year. It was delivered to me in around 20 days, nothing was stopped by the customs & everything went smoothly. Package was delivered by some Chinese courier company via Hong Kong to India (This only took 3 days) & later by India Post. However, ebay still shows my ordered in shipped state & not delivered so I am not sure what to make of it.

Honestly, I would only order low value items through them as higher value items will most likely attract customs. I also only invest the amount that I am ready to lose in case something goes wrong, though most likely ebay will help you out in such scenarios.

FedEx is almost certain to trigger not only customs but also their own service fee for the pleasure of paying the customs fee. Had a terrible time with Fedex handling a low value package from Adafruit last year.

Low value and small sized packages are going through relatively smoothly now through regular EMS/ regular post. Recently received multiple packages through the same. And CN sellers have already routing packages through places like Netherlands for a couple of years since the country-based discrimination started.
Yeah they took 75$ for FedEx shipping, so let's see what kind of drama happens now. I will update this thread..
Ordered some analogue replacement sticks for controllers worth ~ 600 from ebay in March this year. It was delivered to me in around 20 days, nothing was stopped by the customs & everything went smoothly. Package was delivered by some Chinese courier company via Hong Kong to India (This only took 3 days) & later by India Post. However, ebay still shows my ordered in shipped state & not delivered so I am not sure what to make of it.

Honestly, I would only order low value items through them as higher value items will most likely attract customs. I also only invest the amount that I am ready to lose in case something goes wrong, though most likely ebay will help you out in such scenarios.
When you quote 600, is in USD or INR? If INR of course no body is concerned from customs..

Yeah they took 75$ for FedEx shipping, so let's see what kind of drama happens now. I will update this thread..

When you quote 600, is in USD or INR? If INR of course no body is concerned from customs..
You are definitely going to pay customs and handling fee. The customs is on item cost + shipping, so you are going to pay a lot more because of the shipping cost alone.

It is easy to get away with around $30-40 worth of items and even somewhere close to $100 if it has cheaper generic equivalents. Beyond that, it is definitely not going to escape customs. Also, I received all items that were shipped via other countries and none shipped directly from China over the past couple of years on eBay. That is another reason to not go for expensive items, since sellers have no problems reimbursing for cheap items, but will not do so for the expensive ones.

A long time back I had purchased a $500+ item from AliExpress but I had mentioned to the seller in advance that I would purchase it only if he refunded the custom duty, which he actually did because he had a 100% rating on AliExpress, but those instances are extremely rare.

You are definitely going to pay customs and handling fee. The customs is on item cost + shipping, so you are going to pay a lot more because of the shipping cost alone.

It is easy to get away with around $30-40 worth of items and even somewhere close to $100 if it has cheaper generic equivalents. Beyond that, it is definitely not going to escape customs. Also, I received all items that were shipped via other countries and none shipped directly from China over the past couple of years on eBay. That is another reason to not go for expensive items, since sellers have no problems reimbursing for cheap items, but will not do so for the expensive ones.

A long time back I had purchased a $500+ item from AliExpress but I had mentioned to the seller in advance that I would purchase it only if he refunded the custom duty, which he actually did because he had a 100% rating on AliExpress, but those instances are extremely rare.
Yeah I got that, sadly that part was not available in India, so I don't have a choice either unfortunately Today I have received a call from FedEx for providing the KYC. Let's wait and watch the customs drama...

Today, I received the customs invoice after some delay drama from customs clearance. The part I have ordered is 39.5$ and FedEx shipping is 75$. Attached is customs need to pay while delivery.
IMG_20220813_192514_817.jpg

Back