YouTube Vanced discontinued after a legal threat from Google

I really liked this twitter post also read everything was fine until they tried directly profiting off it.

Currently installed versions will work just fine, until they become outdated in 2 years or so.
newpipe, Puretuber, ymusic.io , Odysee,

Attachments

• FNvzvLeXIAcsNtu.jpg
    FNvzvLeXIAcsNtu.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
What I really like about Vanced, on top of all the great features that it already has, is the ability to swipe left and right for brightness and volume respectively on full screen. Shit is awesome and I doubt the official Youtube app will ever have it.

Shame it has come to this.

Vanced is an open project. Some dev might develop it further but in the dark..
Its not open as its just a modded or patched version of the youtube app. Afaik the mods are not open source as they violate blah and blah.. As to if something else turns up as a true replacement, I doubt it. What I will miss most is the sorting and filtering capabilities for rhe search results which are not available anywhere else.

Its not open as its just a modded or patched version of the youtube app. Afaik the mods are not open source as they violate blah and blah.. As to if something else turns up as a true replacement, I doubt it. What I will miss most is the sorting and filtering capabilities for rhe search results which are not available anywhere else.
MicroG is https://github.com/YTVanced/VancedMicroG

For YT someone (team itself) might release it in the dark once news settles down..

MicroG is https://github.com/YTVanced/VancedMicroG

For YT someone (team itself) might release it in the dark once news settles down..
Neither have the code for Vanced. MicroG just allows you to connect your Google account to Vanced, should you choose to use it.
The other is just the updater for Vanced.
So no, Vanced is not open source. At least not yet.

View attachment 129258

Google for more.. microg is open source..
Yes it is and its not even originally developed by the Vanced team. Check the wiki link I posted. The Vanced team are just adapting it for their own use and to comply with its original open source license, are required to post the entire modified MicroG code. It is used just to connect your Google account to Vanced so you get your account specific features. MicroG is not Vanced.
Besides, this is all moot as the Vanced apk was just a reverse engineered and patched version of the original youtube apk.

Last edited:
I have been watching both mozilla and brave and for some reason, at this point I trust brave more than mozilla. Besides, chromium is just plain faster than gecko and I don't think that's changing anytime soon.
Brave is a for-profit organisation that reveals hardly anything about how it makes money, apart from promoting crypto-related stuff everywhere. Mozilla is run by a foundation that unfortunately has become solely dependent on the money paid by Google to make it the default search engine. If you are looking at these browsers from a privacy perspective, Mozilla is far more trustable. It is true that Mozilla made some silly decisions regarding the product roadmap to get more revenue, but at the end of the day, it is far more transparent.

Blink will definitely be faster than Chromium, but that is more due to nearly every website being made for Chromium based browsers. In terms of standards compatibility, you will find Gecko does better. I find it idiotic when some websites insist on installing Chrome on Android or Safari on iOS as it is simply lazy coding. We need more "browser-engine" variety and not less. This has unfortunately become another IE6-like situation, except no one notices the resource-hogging of Chrome, as devices have become much faster.

This is the reason for the C&D order I guess. Others which scrap youtube website and somehow make things like ad blocking and sponsor block work, they should not be impacted. I use smart tube next on firestick and cerecube on iPad / iPhone and hopefully they don't have any issues.
Been there, done that. Cercube is yet another modded app though, with the original source being much more obfuscated compared to something like Vanced. At the end of the day, found that using YT on Safari with extensions is the best thing ever. If you just want to block ads, then use the Adblock extension. If you want nearly all the premium features, then just get the Vinegar and SponsorBlock extensions for Safari on iOS which cost INR 179 each. Otherwise, you can get most of it through user scripts, which involves a lot more work.
View attachment 129258

Google for more.. microg is open source..
MicroG is just an open-source GAPPS replacement. It provides an alternative to most Google APIs so that apps dependent on Google Play Services can continue to work without any proprietary google code.

Last edited:
I have been watching both mozilla and brave and for some reason, at this point I trust brave more than mozilla.
Totally agree with you.
Mozilla created a "privacy" myth around them, and its as bad as google chrome in its default state.
Although with aboutconfig tweaks, and few extensions with right settings firefox can be made good.. but the hassle is to much and with these setting even Chrome would be fireproof.

Where as by default, Brave is much better even for less techy person. and webpage rendering is much beter then Firefox.

If anyone really like the firefox-type they should consider waterfox instead.

In mobile, I kind of settled with duckduckgo browser after the downfall of safari.

Totally agree with you.
Mozilla created a "privacy" myth around them, and its as bad as google chrome in its default state.
Although with aboutconfig tweaks, and few extensions with right settings firefox can be made good.. but the hassle is to much and with these setting even Chrome would be fireproof.

Where as by default, Brave is much better even for less techy person. and webpage rendering is much beter then Firefox.

If anyone really like the firefox-type they should consider waterfox instead.

In mobile, I kind of settled with duckduckgo browser after the downfall of safari.
No one is arguing that Brave is by default better for privacy. However, if you observed the trend, Brave is trying to bring everything in-house, be it the crypto wallet, adblocking (or rather its own adnetwork), VPN. It is great for the noobs until they end up getting tied to their ecosystem.

It would be illogical to use Firefox in its default form as you do have to turn off telemetry and set up your extensions. I agree that I have a soft spot for it because I started using it even before it hit v1.0 in 2004, but that also implies most current Firefox users are power users who have set everything up properly. The main reason to use Firefox is to support it since they earn money from searches and alternatives rob it of revenue.

On iOS, it doesn't matter since every browser has to be based on Safari WebKit. I only use Safari for YT with extensions.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the main issue is that Google can make tracking changes to Chromium that every Chromium browser has to abide by. Yet again, this is the reason you need options.

Manifest v3​

Manifest v3 broadly refers to Google’s planned changes for browser extensions. These plans have been heavily criticized by privacy organizations and developers. Among other concerns, Manifest v3 weakens how extensions can block trackers, including (unsurprisingly) Google’s new generation of tracking scripts. Google has begun promoting “server-side tagging” capabilities in its tracking libraries which can be used to circumvent privacy tools. Clever extensions can use Manifest v2 capabilities to block server-side tagging1 trackers; Manifest v3 removes these capabilities, making server-side tagging effectively unblockable.

Last edited:
Pay for youtube?
Paying for youtube only solves ad and background playback.

Vanced player was actually more usable than stock youtube player. Even my parents who are not tech-savvy people want to change brightness/volume with swaying up and down. Unadulterated youtube or for that matter google search can be very phishy for non tech-savvy people.

Sponsor block was for me was a godsend to block super loud intros and outros. The creator of the sponsor block was working on another awesome functionality which would flag misleading videos (dislike on steroids).

Brave is a for-profit organisation that reveals hardly anything about how it makes money, apart from promoting crypto-related stuff everywhere.
+1. I was a casual Brave user. Then they started mining crypto in the users' browsers or something.
btw I had no idea the demise of Vanced would affect so many users here lol. I honestly don't mind the ads except for the inappropriate ones and the political ones which are forced. I just close the video when it happens.
Would love to support a browser which is transparent about the ads and how they make money. I would run ads in a dedicated page in the background. I have so much of unutilized resources anyway.

Back