terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
The following 2 Z68 motherboards with built in SSD using an mSATA port

1] Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD [Rs 16250/-]
This uses an Intel 20GB SLC SSD 311 series module

2] Asus P8Z68-V PRO [Rs 13550/-]
This uses an 18.6GB SSD

Now should the built-in SSD be used as a cache drive only or a primary boot device?

Has anyone on TE tried these boards?

On various online sites & reports there are conflicting & difficult to configure/understand [to me at least!!] how best to use this feature - the SSD caching in the form of Intel’s Smart Response Technology. Basically ISRT allows you to add an SSD and use it as a cache for your existing HDD. ISRT only works in RAID though, not AHCI or IDE, so you’ll have to reinstall Windows 7 on your HDD and set it up with RAID, unless you want to be greeted by BSOD galore.

Of course, I am ready & willing to learn how best this feature can be exploited to the fullest. Now the price factor is huge. There are also other fantastic features on both these mobos. The Giga just races a little bit ahead than Asus in most of the benchmark tests.

So does the above work only in RAID? What about standard SSD drives - does one have to configure it always in RAID and not NTFS?

Nope, the facility can be used in tandom with existing SSD drive to cache information. Also this feature is useful only if you have smaller capacity SSD. If you planning to buy a 128gb or higher, go for the P67 platforms...

Aces170 said:
Nope, the facility can be used in tandom with existing SSD drive to cache information. Also this feature is useful only if you have smaller capacity SSD. If you planning to buy a 128gb or higher, go for the P67 platforms...

Buddy u got me confused on both counts now - 1. Both mobo tech reviews state that they can primarily b used as stand alone ssd, either for caching or boot device (of course other ssd's can b added).
2. I thought Intel Z68 is far, far superior to P or H67 platforms. It optimizes sandybridge to its fullest potential...... !!!

Buddy u got me confused on both counts now - 1. Both mobo tech reviews state that they can primarily b used as stand alone ssd, either for caching or boot device (of course other ssd's can b added).

Hmm, let me read more on that part. Hmm you are right, I think it can be used as a stand alone boot device:

Z68 Express motherboards from Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI - The Tech Report - Page 3

I thought Intel Z68 is far, far superior to P or H67 platforms. It optimizes sandybridge to its fullest potential...... !!!

Not really, in fact enthusiasts yet prefer a good P67 board.

guys wuldnt a seperate ssd drive be better .

had brought 64gb crucial ssd for 8k from ebay GEB .

I think seperate ssd will be more value for money

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

snow said:
guys wuldnt a seperate ssd drive be better .

had brought 64gb crucial ssd for 8k from ebay GEB .

I think seperate ssd will be more value for money

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Hmmm broad consensus would naturally advocate this view.
Aces170 said:
Hmm, let me read more on that part. Hmm you are right, I think it can be used as a stand alone boot device:
Z68 Express motherboards from Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI - The Tech Report - Page 3

Not really, in fact enthusiasts yet prefer a good P67 board.

Toms forums are full of guys discussing the pro's & cons of the "built-in" ssd
[Solved] Anyone has GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD LGA 1155 Intel Z68? - ssd - Storage

I am also looking at integrated GPU on my mobo to match with Intels 3000 & not 2000 [The proc that I will be going in for is the i5-2500K]. This means that the P67 would have to be ruled out as I would have to spend on a discrete GPU & at this point I just do not have the budget.

The Asus is VFM but the Giga GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD is uber-cool [which will set me back by a whopping 16.25K]. I am looking at settling for a Giga Z68 mobo [with or without built-in ssd]. I also think that stand alone SSD would take another 12-18 months or so before capacity + speeds + performance + prices come down to earth.

Lastly I am looking to build a "hackintosh" with dual boot Windows 7 & Mac OS X with Snow leopard or Lion - each on a 1TB drive & the general view at tonymacx86 is that "Intel & Giga" are best for this purpose.

Now if the "built-in ssd" is gonna complicate my bios & dual-boot then I am willing to drop this adventure ?

are you sure Asus P8Z68-V PRO has an inbuilt ssd ?

ASUS QUOTES: "SSD Speed with HDD Capacity Intel® Smart Response Technology boosts overall system performance. It uses an installed fast SSD (min 18.6GB available capacity) as a cache for frequently accessed data. Harness the combination of SSD-like performance and response with hard drive capacity, that's 4X faster than a HDD-only system."

cyber_cat said:
are you sure Asus P8Z68-V PRO has an inbuilt ssd ?

ASUS QUOTES: "SSD Speed with HDD Capacity Intel® Smart Response Technology boosts overall system performance. It uses an installed fast SSD (min 18.6GB available capacity) as a cache for frequently accessed data. Harness the combination of SSD-like performance and response with hard drive capacity, that's 4X faster than a HDD-only system."

You answered the Question rightly brother. Asus V-Pro does have an built in ssd..... but in no way matches that of the giga board.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

asingh said:
Aren't those native SSD sizes too small, even for OS stand alone.

Yes at first glance. but then as has been reported here on TE .... win 7 takes 14 GB of space.... so are these boards worth their value ? Strangely here in India, I cannot track anyone daring enuf to have tried these boards..... lol, I know u guys will pounce on me now... but..... until so many doubts r cleared... I dare not venture into the unknown. Who knows 2 years down the line, these built-in ssd 64-120 GB would b standard things!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

To sum up this discussion [which remains inconclusive at this stage of "Whether these built-in SSD's are worth it & have they been tested by anyone in India/TE?"]...... FRANKLY SPEAKING I AM GROPING IN A BLACK HOLE .... and still searching my way through this maze.

The Z68 mobo's with built-in SSD's are only 2 (from Asus & Giga) as listed at the start; and these (ssd built-in) are among the most premium of all the varied features of the Intel 1155 series... How best can these be used or are they just gimmick's??

And today after more than 4 weeks of limitted R & D into the new RIG that I want to build for myself.... I am as lost as ever as to "picking the BEST mobo from just Asus & Giga" that will fully suit my needs.

I have yet to come across a singular detailed analysis & tech-report about DECODING THE Intel Socket 1155 series with all their Flavours & Iterations. I wish I could have done this excercise myself although I do not have the technical expertise ..... and even then collating info of this magnitude [leave aside the testing & benchmarking] would take 2-3 weeks & I just do not have this time & space; so....

..... Just to give you an insight:-

Asus has in its Indian Avatar H61; H & P67 & Z68 subdivisions [each having 4-8 mobos]..... and WAIT now the USA site also has 2 additional Q67 & C206 series !!!!!

Gigabyte also has all the 6 main subdivisions as above. BUT just in their Z68 stable they have a whopping 22 mobo's!!!!! .............. I seriously wonder that "How many of these 22 Z68 mobos are really & readily available in India at any given point of time in any city" ????

Granted that all of them offer from "entry-level to work-station" iterations, but the sad part is that there is NO CLUE WHATSOEVER TO a novice on how to "decode all these crazy iterations.

Not Asus or Giga offer a "sort-table" for user's to pick the features that they want and then "display" the results..........

So to cut a long story.... On TE I often find that most newbie's [and I am one of them} are forced to depend on the recommendations of a few regulars who merrily push the same "component & brand" down most users for weeks or month's

To illustrate:
Cabinet: Why is the NZXT Gamma still being pushed - wake up guys and recommend usb 3.0 front side ports at least ? I would not like to spend 2K on trash today - when there are so many usb 3.0 options [in cabinets & devices that one will use over the next few years]?

Mobo's for the Intel: Why Intel when both Asus & Giga have so many flavours within the same budget?

Monitors & Display ports: HDMI 1.3 & 1.4a is the present & future ? How many of you consider these? or so many other things.

So at TE, what usually happens is that MOST who wish to build a RIG go by "popular recommendations" without being patient & aware that for the same amount of money - so many newer options do exist that will offer each one VFM & future-proof solutions withingn their budget [for each of the assembled components purchased].

Please, I beg of you all those "regular guru's" at TE, my angst is not against your "zhat-phat" solutions.... [and I know your defence would be that these are "time-tested" components and also the availability of these at even mofussil areas in India]. If companies offer so many "Flavours" of their components, then we have a collected responsibility to DEMAND that these be made available to us here in India - even if we have to go through a "waiting period" of a few days or weeks. I have the highest regard for TE as a premium forum/site who can achieve this dream.

I would personally like to seek and search for the BEST components that are available even for a 10-15K budget person.

Just to illustrate again ..... more than 8 years ago [which is like a century in the computer world].... I spend more than 3 months searching the streets & gullies of lammy to get the "best" components for my RIG & mind you those days the "Internet" was not so easliy accessible to all & yet two of my prized finds were a VIP cabinet that had 9 slots at it's front [from top to bottom] to fit in any amount of drives..... I used the bottom most for my Audigy front panel and other's for a dvd-rom & dvd-writer & internal 2 other HDD's were accomodated too. But the other find was a cheap portable internal & detachable 5.25" drive that I could pull out my 200GB HDD anytime from the front. Point is "amazing solutions" exist and we need to share this information with all.

I hope I will not be black-listed from TE for this tirade of mine. We all need to educate ourselves constantly and share this knowledge with other's. Let us not always depend on hearsay and to this end I raise a toast to all you guys on TE who labour & work tirelessly ...... just push yourselves a little bit more.

Regards
Terry

I would suggest you to get a stand alone SSD drive instead of an SSD-caching solution of Z68.

Then again, it depends on your priorities and budget. If you want performance, an SSD drive would be better than SSD caching + normal HDD. It would cost a little more but would be worth the difference.

With an inbuilt SSD, you will have very limited space and I doubt you will be able to install a full OS on it (if it is possible). Even if you do, you will have no space for additional applications. Also keep in mind that the performance of SSD depends on the amount of free space available. A completely full SSD will give less performance than an SSD with some empty space.

If you're not looking for the best performance, SSD caching does seem a great option since it still improves the performance greatly than a normal HDD.

I would personally go for a good SSD drive like the new Corsair Force GT or the OCZ Vertex 3 and get a decent Z68 motherboard with it.

I would personally go for a good SSD drive like the new Corsair Force GT or the OCZ Vertex 3 and get a decent Z68 motherboard with it.

Thats the point, if you are getting a good SSD, dunno how SSD caching will help there.

Terrence: List out the options you have on cabinet, the NZXT Gamma has a very good layout and airflow. USB 3.0 front side headers is not the only criteria people look for when buying a cabinet. The layout and airflow should be the primary things one should be looking at, in addition to build quality. VIP cases back when I saw them, had a pathetic layout, and even more pathetic internal airflow. I would say if you are going to tinker around with your system, and planning to oc it, it makes sense in spending more on the cabinet. Corsair Carbide 400R at 5k is just a too good a deal.

http://www.techenclave.com/theitwares/corsair-carbide-series-400r-gaming-cabinet-200074.html

In addition are you planning to over-clock your system? If yes I suggest get a slightly cheaper Asus P8P67 pro, and buy a cheap discrete graphics (HD 5450 is for 2-2.5k odd and is miles ahead of Intel HD3000 series...).

Cabinet: Why is the NZXT Gamma still being pushed - wake up guys and recommend usb 3.0 front side ports at least ? I would not like to spend 2K on trash today - when there are so many usb 3.0 options [in cabinets & devices that one will use over the next few years]?

Mobo's for the Intel: Why Intel when both Asus & Giga have so many flavours within the same budget?

Monitors & Display ports: HDMI 1.3 & 1.4a is the present & future ? How many of you consider these? or so many other things.

Cabinet: A vast majority still uses USB 2.0 based devices. Chassis with the USB 3.0 ports do not come exactly cheap either. OTOH, you can invest in a motherboard that bundles a USB 3.0 fron panel header which can be installed on the 2.5" cage of the chassis. The Asus P6P67 Dlx bundles one.

Mobo's for the Intel: Because Intel makes some no non-sense and extremely stable boards. Not many tweaking to be done for the average home user who needs to setup a no-frills PC. Not to mention they are VFM.

Monitors & Display ports: HDMI 1.3 is the norm. 1.4a supports stereoscopic 3D among other changes (such as the increased maximum resoution, ethernet channel etc) but do you intend to use these features? If you have a display that supports stereoscopic 3D, it may be a good idea to get a device (such as the AVR) that supports 1.4a.

viralbug said:
I would suggest you to get a stand alone SSD drive instead of an SSD-caching solution of Z68.

Thanks yes it makes sense & I can save 3-4K [going for a built-in ssd mobo]
Aces170 said:
Terrence: List out the options you have on cabinet, the NZXT Gamma has a very good layout and airflow. USB 3.0 front side headers is not the only criteria people look for when buying a cabinet. The layout and airflow should be the primary things one should be looking at, in addition to build quality. VIP cases back when I saw them, had a pathetic layout, and even more pathetic internal airflow. I would say if you are going to tinker around with your system, and planning to oc it, it makes sense in spending more on the cabinet. Corsair Carbide 400R at 5k is just a too good a deal.
http://www.techenclave.com/theitwares/corsair-carbide-series-400r-gaming-cabinet-200074.html

In addition are you planning to over-clock your system? If yes I suggest get a slightly cheaper Asus P8P67 pro, and buy a cheap discrete graphics (HD 5450 is for 2-2.5k odd and is miles ahead of Intel HD3000 series...).
Thanks Sahil: Incidently the VIP that I mentioned was way back in circa 2003! and It has served me very well till date. Now of course today I am looking ONLY at NZXT or Corsair or Thermaltake - my requirements are " excellent ventilation" willing to add more fans if necessary.

Now I am not into gaming & doubt very much that I will OC.

Why I need front usb 3.0 - I already have 2 usb 3.0 devices [and sadly most of these devices come with a very short length cable; so it's very difficult each time to connect it to the rear usb 3 ports]. And in future I will be adding more such usb 3.0 plug-n-play devices.

Your last suggestion - go for a cheaper mobo & a discrete graphics card. I will look into it. I have targetted "Gigabyte" coz I want to explore the possibility of a dual boot system [win 7 & Mac]. But yes what I need are front side usb 3.0 header port

The Corsair Carbide 400R is a beauty - but honestly this is an overkill & will be wasted at my end. I an not going to ever have a dual GPU in sli; nor am I going to add any further cards [at the most a HDTV Tuner Card] and re-using my Audigy2 Platinum PCI card.

I had targetted the "NZXT Source 210 Elite" @ 2.9K - but again I am not happy with the front panel ventillation.

Gannu said:
Cabinet: A vast majority still uses USB 2.0 based devices. Chassis with the USB 3.0 ports do not come exactly cheap either. OTOH, you can invest in a motherboard that bundles a USB 3.0 fron panel header which can be installed on the 2.5" cage of the chassis. The Asus P6P67 Dlx bundles one.

Mobo's for the Intel: Because Intel makes some no non-sense and extremely stable boards. Not many tweaking to be done for the average home user who needs to setup a no-frills PC. Not to mention they are VFM.

Monitors & Display ports: HDMI 1.3 is the norm. 1.4a supports stereoscopic 3D among other changes (such as the increased maximum resoution, ethernet channel etc) but do you intend to use these features? If you have a display that supports stereoscopic 3D, it may be a good idea to get a device (such as the AVR) that supports 1.4a.

My work also involves creating 3D Stereoscopic content and that's why I wanted my rig to be future-proof.

BUt thanks again you guys have given me lots of advice to fine-tune my rig.

dragon_unleashed said:
I already own a Asus P8Z68-V PRO, but i never new that it has an inbuilt ssd and i cannot find it nywhere even not in the mannual...????

I am really flummoxed. As per the the details given on their website
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
see the section
Intel® Smart Response Technology
"It uses an installed fast SSD (min 18.6GB available capacity) as a cache for frequently accessed data"

I have been searching for reviews of this feature on the Asus board but ????? Whereas the giga board is more clear about the actual built-in ssd.

I also understand that you need to active this setting from the BIOS...... I am Still confused

terence_fdes said:
I am really flummoxed. As per the the details given on their website

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P8Z68-V PRO

see the section

Intel® Smart Response Technology

"It uses an installed fast SSD (min 18.6GB available capacity) as a cache for frequently accessed data"

I have been searching for reviews of this feature on the Asus board but ????? Whereas the giga board is more clear about the actual built-in ssd.

I also understand that you need to active this setting from the BIOS...... I am Still confused

Look into "Test Configuration" that ASUS has included on the web-page advertising Intel® Smart Response Technology. They have mentioned a separate SSD used in test config.

Morever, specification of this board do not list any SSD.

I guess you guys are right. So we have only 1 ssd built-in mobo the Giga then and unless it's configured and utilised properly the high-price tag would only then make sense..... On my part I will leave it for now.

Terence,

The P8Z68-V PRO does NOT have a built in SSD.

What it does is uses an SSD that you add in, to cache (therefore speed up) data from other drives. I'm going to quote a post of mine from another thread :

rrb said:
Yep, overall, for most of us the SSD caching is not really that useful, but it does have a few cool advantages.

For example -- if you have a 1TB drive and an SSD, you can just install EVERYTHING (OS, Programs and data) to the 1TB drive, and then just transparently slip in the SSD, and the SSD Caching feature will automatically handle the rest.

Ofcourse, this is mostly useful if you have a small SSD (32 - 64GB).

However, in cases like BikeAdvice, where he'll probably be working with 40GB of video per project (just a guess), it might make sense to have a 120GB SSD, and use SSD Caching? That might speed up project work, without the stress off "will all the raw footage, and project renderings fit on this SSD with my OS?".

Though the bummer is that its still NOT as fast as just the SSD. Infact its slower than a mechanical drive on the first read (while it caches to SSD).

Here's a good article : Intel Makes Caching Easy : Intel Z68 Express Chipset Preview: SSD Caching And Quick Sync
As far as motherboard choice goes, unless you are on a super-tight budget, or you're a bigtime overclocker, i say get the Z68
rrb said:
Motherboard
  • H67 : Has built in graphics, but no overclocking.
  • P67 : Has overclocking abilities, but no built in graphics
  • Z68 : Has the advantages of both the above. But more-so, it also supports SSD caching and Lucidlogix Virtu GPU Virtualization (this in particular might be useful to you?).
  • (I'm still deciding between the ASUS P8Z68-V and the ASUS P8Z68-V LE)

cya
R

Back