• Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
  • Single Sim
  • 13MP rear camera with LED Flash
  • 5MP front shooter
  • 2500mAh battery
Source 1 | Source 2
Buy NOW

Picture Courtesy of Amazon.in/ GSMArena.com

Why does India always get the inferior (read 'shit') version?

Snapdragon 800 vs 801 in the International version
2500mAh vs 3100mAh

Did you look at the price tag of device?
S800 is more than good enough than shitty mediatek sold in every micromax device...
I don't have anything against ZTE. Hell, my first Android phone was the ZTE Blade, an iconic dev device. Anyway, I appreciate the price point and price to features ratio of this phone. My main concern about the different version is that if there's any amount of dev support for the International version, it won't translate to this Indian version because of the different chipset.

You do make a good point about the SD 800 being better than others in its price range. Also, the Mi3 has the same processor, I believe, and used to sell at the same price in India.

Did you look at the price tag of device?
S800 is more than good enough than shitty mediatek sold in every micromax device...

Mediatek is more than a worthy rival to Qualcomm and Qualcomm themselves give them the due credit and respect by fearing them as their closest rivals. The fact that you are getting fairly decent smartphones for under 15k is because of Mediatek and if Qualcomm have had no rivals, you would still be paying 30~35k+ for a SD800 device leave alone a SD801 or 805.

If you want to blame anyone for issues, blame the shitty manufacturers that brands like Micromax source their devices from.

As for this particular model, its crippled from the get go by the weak battery. SD800 is a fine SoC and there is nothing to crib about for its price point, but that 5.5" FHD display will kill the battery fast. Even the 5" FHD phones based around SD800 use a 2600mAH + batteries.

Honestly will there be hype if no shortage is there ? ... then what is to separate these guys from other chinese oems ? ( I know build quality is better than micromax and lava etc ... but only time will tell if they will last )
No offence intended to anyone
I have an s3 , s4 , redmi 1s , moto g , e , micromax a110 .
Stock android is best (moto g,e) , touchwiz only works fast on samsung flagships (s3 , s4 ) , Micromax does not update oncel releases phone (a110) , miui is still buggy with heavy Chinese influence (redmi 1s ) .
So comparing all and stating my personal observations .

is the andriod version that big a factor??
I do like to have latest version on my phone, but my wife doesnt care at all. All she needs is whatsapp/facebook working without lag. I believe thats what a normal user wants, to have their day to day apps working without issues.

A bit of discrimination for Indian markets offering a lesser battery and SD 800, but that would not make much of a difference (SD 800 to 801 not much of an upgrade either) considering the price point. Seems like a VFM phone.. Well build of a ZTE phone is top notch , I have a ZTE Nubia Z5S (has a 2300 mah battery but still runs for a day with medium/heavy usage) and they do provide not regular but latest updates sooner (past 3 months got 2 major updates 4.4.2 then 4.4.4) as currently 4.4.4 is available for most ZTE phones. but OoB they giving 4.2.
UI suc**, big time so just rooted and removed the crap UI and enjoying with CM Launcher.
But one thing doubtful is if they have installed Play Store as I did not get on mine (Nubia Z5s) so had to install it separately.

Honestly will there be hype if no shortage is there ? ... then what is to separate these guys from other chinese oems ? ( I know build quality is better than micromax and lava etc ... but only time will tell if they will last )
No offence intended to anyone
I have an s3 , s4 , redmi 1s , moto g , e , micromax a110 .
Stock android is best (moto g,e) , touchwiz only works fast on samsung flagships (s3 , s4 ) , Micromax does not update oncel releases phone (a110) , miui is still buggy with heavy Chinese influence (redmi 1s ) .
So comparing all and stating my personal observations .

Are you saying that had there been no shortage, people would have preferred to go with something like Moto G rather than a High end SD 800 based phone at same price point coming from a reputed brand which managed to sell more phones than Moto?

Do you think Apple's manufacturing and stock availability woes are also a gimmick to sell more phones and they would not be able to otherwise?
Xiaomi was the 3rd largest manufacturer of smartphones after Apple. If a company like Apple with all the resources at its disposal still faces stock issues barely making one (or two) models with varying capacities, why would you think that Xiaomi which is next on the list but has a fraction of resources that Apple has won't have such issues?

Xiaomi is technically still a start-up having been around for barely 4 years and have been making phones for 3 years only. While they have come a long way and have a lot of financial resources, its not easy for such companies to cope with demand in massive countries like China or India. They know the sales potential and they know very well that there is no reason to hold back when they have the market potential. It is actually detrimental to their business to do this.

is the andriod version that big a factor??
I do like to have latest version on my phone, but my wife doesnt care at all. All she needs is whatsapp/facebook working without lag. I believe thats what a normal user wants, to have their day to day apps working without issues.
Android 4.2 is just fine, imho, unless you're buying a device low on ram (something Kitkat apparently addresses).

^^ Why would 4.2 do in a time when 5 is released? SOC is not the solution for everything.

This is a no brainer, there is no support for the phone from devs, and ZTE is not going to release any updates. Skip the device, and wait for Mi4/One plus one, or spend more and get Nexus 5.

At this point of time, I have a feeling that Electronics like automobile will move towards efficiency rather then benchmarks.
While I hate Mediatek Processors in general, I do like how long (atleast the newer ones) last....

small battery + practically no dev support might just kill this phone for techies...
As for normal people, they will go for a motorola or a samsung at a similar price range.

Most "Normal" people skip the Soc part, and actually prefer phones with "Android 4.4.4 Kitkat", which means more moolah for mediatek and less for ZTE.
They could have launched with kitkat. A big marketing fail imho...

Android 4.2 is just fine, imho, unless you're buying a device low on ram (something Kitkat apparently addresses).
I find myself satisfied with 4.2 but tbh at this point of time time I wouldn't but something that doesn't have 4.4 if not 5.0, especially at 15k

Well, I'm assuming his wife has liked this phone & he's just kinda stuck on the Android version. So all in all, I wouldn't ever say that the Android version should be a deal breaker if it checks all the other boxes, unless the phone owner himself/herself wants the latest. For instance, a phone like a Gionee s5.5 has a different USP compared to any Nexus devices. So you can't always be hung up on such things.

Back