Zune 30gb (1st gen) for ~3500

boomshankar

Disciple
Hey Guys,

Just found this awesome deal for a brand new first gen Zune 30gb For $72 with free worldwide shipping (via Singapore Post), which totally comes to around Rs.3300, also the seller will mark the item as gift and much lower value so not much chance of paying anything as customs

New Zune 30gb mp3 Player,zune player,zune 30gb,Black - eBay (item 260699121709 end time Jan-26-11 01:27:56 PST)

I think this is an awesome deal for anyone looking for a good sturdy, slightly Bulky, portable player.

I have one (got it second hand from the market a yr ago for 4k :bleh: ) so i cal tell u the sound and build quality is quite amazing for the price ur getting it at.

I think even Rs 4173 is a still a really good deal for this,

Btw I though a package marked as a gift does not attract custom duty, also package value will be marked down to 20-30$

If it is marked as a gift, there won't be any duty provided the value is below 10k which in this case, it is.

But do remember that Customs Officials are not nuts and they know that not all 'gifts' are really 'gifts' so buy it only if you are willing to pay up the extra amount (duty) if called upon to do so.

It is upto the customs official to decide the truth behind the claim of an import package being a 'gift'.

Okie...

BTW how is the SQ of Zune compared to the iPod Classic. I am planning for an upgrade from my classic so have been looking to upgrade. Was mainly thinking about the Sflo...

I think that the white one at DX is confirmed as a original. I am damn fool to order from Ebay, but I don't have any other option rather than forget around 1k loss :(

@letmein:Nice find,

It looks quite genuine but from some of the reviews I think these are refurbushed, also it comes with come some "sony" headphones and not original microsoft ones (which are suprisingly good for bundled headphones) and third party charger,

It strangely does not mention Microsoft anywhere,

nehaladsul said:
If it is marked as a gift, there won't be any duty provided the value is below 10k which in this case, it is.

But do remember that Customs Officials are not nuts and they know that not all 'gifts' are really 'gifts' so buy it only if you are willing to pay up the extra amount (duty) if called upon to do so.

It is upto the customs official to decide the truth behind the claim of an import package being a 'gift'.
but how would the custom officials decide on the claims of a gift? whats the criteria for them to find out if the sent item is a gift or not, this has always been a mystery to me

saurabhnarula said:
but how would the custom officials decide on the claims of a gift? whats the criteria for them to find out if the sent item is a gift or not, this has always been a mystery to me
Well, it is a mystery alright....!!! :p

They'll send you a Show Cause notice stating that the goods have been retained for non-payment of duty and you'll have to show cause as to why you shouldn't be charged duty.

In reply, you'll have to provide details as to how the sender is related to you for him to send you a gift. Additionally, the Customs officials are empowered to open the package for inspection and when they find the invoice in the package, they know the true value of the product.

Even if the product is undervalued on the invoice, they have enough arbitrary powers to ascertain the value of the product based upon current market rate (in India) for the same or similar product!

So, in the end it all depends upon the customs official that handles your case. Most of the times, they let go off the packages if it is a small value say like below $100. But if you are unlucky, u'll have a really tough time with the customs.

I once had my air rifle locked up with the customs for almost 2 months!! I had to go through enough hassles which included but was not limited to meeting my zonal DCP, getting a NOC from my local police station, getting a recommendation letter from my rifle range and what not... and thereafter, I got my rifle but it was obviously opened for the dead wood test and the test certificate was missing... Whats more, my tin of pellets was never found!!! :mad:

Its bulky and 30gb isn't enough to contain the music library of most people who aren't already satisfied with ~16gb. But yeah, the zune interface is pretty good... and the buttons on these are better than in the Zune80 too. Decent buy, if only for the reason that there aren't any viable hdd based players coming out nowadays.

saurabhnarula said:
^ lol i guess that happened coz you had "air rifle" ordered.
Yeah... But mine was not marked as a Gift even though it was sent by a friend of mine. Moreover, for registered shooters, the import of an air rifle is duty free.

But the procedure is same for all packages. Whether they are air rifles or medial players!! :p

I am not saying that this is what would happen with the Zune; just saying that the Customs procedure is erratic and one might get entangled in unnecessary hassles at times.

Back