The Nokia 5230 / 5233 Thread

Srirama

Adept
Sep 26, 2009
Chennai
YUp hacking is so easy..enable rompatcher options after installation..thats all.

you can now install any app,without need of signing.

EDIT:

i meant the hellox2 application should be installed first.

pranut

Adept
Aug 13, 2008
New Delhi
@viralbug

got a question........what if the updated hack is available and i hack my phone and then again a new firmware update is available, so will i have to uninstall the hack or the update will override it ?

Praks

Skilled
Sep 26, 2007
Guys, if I hack then I cant update firmware from Nokia site right ?

I need to wait until site release new version of firmware, something like Blackrain for iPhone ? Is that right ?

If I want to keep Original firmware & still use apps then I need to sign each app, please clarify.

viralbug

Skilled
Mar 7, 2007
Navi Mumbai
'Hacking' on S60 is nothing like iphone. You can directly update your firmware from Nokia on a hacked phone, there's no problem. You can also uninstall the hack very easily.

There is no modification done to the firmware. The Symbian OS checks if the sis file being installed is signed or not. The hack just disables this so you don't have to keep signing every file.

Reactions: 1 person

siddhantmahajan

Disciple
Jun 7, 2008
guys need some help

i got my software of nokia 5233 updated to 12.1.092.C01.01 from nokia care and also got my phone formatted

but now i m not able to hack my phone using HelloOX 2.03 signed at cer.opda.cn/en

the hello installs fine but hangs up at "installing root cert.."

can anyone help please

Praks

Skilled
Sep 26, 2007
viralbug said:
'Hacking' on S60 is nothing like iphone. You can directly update your firmware from Nokia on a hacked phone, there's no problem. You can also uninstall the hack very easily.
There is no modification done to the firmware. The Symbian OS checks if the sis file being installed is signed or not. The hack just disables this so you don't have to keep signing every file.

Thank you bro, You made me understood.

Now how do I do this in simple steps ? Any URL /method ?

viralbug

Skilled
Mar 7, 2007
Navi Mumbai
^ Look at the first post of this thread.

Vasishta.Sushant said:
Any 5233 user here, who can assist me in getting my Ovi maps work ? I could never make them run on my device.

Does it really work or its there for namesake ?

I'm trying to do the same. :p I installed Nokia Map loader on my PC and connected my phone. The first time it ran ok, but I didn't download any maps that time. The second time I tried to run, it would show an error something like 'Error getting catalog for Nokia 5233'. I just deleted it from my PC after that. :p

I suppose you need to install maps using Map Loader first.

May 16, 2007
Gurgaon
I installed the maps using the maploader. Have an unlimited GPRS connection. Nothing works.

All it says is WAITING FOR THE GPS SIGNAL. Even when I am network based navigation.

Talking to nokia helpline is worse than banging head on the wall.

Anyone ?

vinodh89

Disciple
May 30, 2009
Vasishta.Sushant said:
I installed the maps using the maploader. Have an unlimited GPRS connection. Nothing works.

All it says is WAITING FOR THE GPS SIGNAL. Even when I am network based navigation.

Talking to nokia helpline is worse than banging head on the wall.

Anyone ?

Connect the phone in PC suite mode, and download and install Nokia Ovi suite. Download the maps for India to your phone. And you're all set !
GPS works better when you are outdoor, So try it from your house terrace it should definitely work.

I have a Nokia 5230, And initially I was the same figuring out with maps and GPS.

tosh79

Adept
Oct 8, 2007
vinodh89 said:
Connect the phone in PC suite mode, and download and install Nokia Ovi suite. Download the maps for India to your phone. And you're all set !
GPS works better when you are outdoor, So try it from your house terrace it should definitely work.

I have a Nokia 5230, And initially I was the same figuring out with maps and GPS.

Mate,

any idea about what could be the problem here !

I downloaded the pc suite & tried to install OVi maps for India which is 103 mb download but iam getting a strange message of "Memory card full! try after freeing some memory'' though the memory i guess is plentyfull close to 5 Gb out of my 8gb capacity !

Thanks

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
All those people wanting to install maps for India using PC suite i suggest you directly get that 103 MB download from somewhere else (direct download) and copy it to you phone's memory card. Downloading using the OVI / PC suite is painfully slow (irrespective of your broadband connection speed). I am not at home else would have uploaded the maps on some public sharing sites and shared the URL with you all.

vinodh89 said:
C

Yes i too had similar issues when i tried using GPS inside my home. I thought GPS was broken in my phone but using it outside is a charm. Combined with Google maps it works very well.

PS: Currently google maps uses inbuilt GPS in my 5230 to locate me but uses my network's GPRS/EDGE to render the maps. Is there any way to have offline maps so data connection is sort of never required.

Amien said:
Guys, has anyone tried the new Nokia 5230 firmware latest update v20.0.005?

I have installed the latest firmware but did not find any noticeable difference. Someone here told that the auto rotate feature is better now but since this thing is subjective, i did not find anything new.
Rest all seems to be same.

My issues of auto restarting is still not solved. Problem is that occurs mainly while messaging like this

I compose message
I send message
I get message delivered notifcation
Boom....phone restarts :mad:

lide

Disciple
Jun 7, 2008
I've just got the 5230 after using a windows mobile for over a year. Really miss the Smart Dial feature of WinMo, it's really phenomenal. Is there anyway of getting similar functionality on this phone?