Aadhaar card

Everyone of us here MUST read this article : http://forbesindia.com/article/big-...i-took-aadhaar-past-the-tipping-point/36259/1

It reveal's a lot more than what 99% people have been told or know about Aadhar, including what is now well known - the real motivation & ambition of the man behind this steamrolling plan.

Some Excerpts :

A few days after we met, credible news reports said Nilekani—IITian, ex-CEO of Infosys, best-selling author, world-flattener and chairman of the UIDAI—could soon add another title to his glittering CV: He was likely going to contest the 2014 Lok Sabha elections from Bangalore as a Congress candidate. (When we asked a follow-up question later, he wouldn’t comment on it.)
The fundamental right's of the lay man v/s one man's ambitions?

“We felt speed was strategic. Doing and scaling things quickly was critical. If you move very quickly it doesn’t give opposition the time to consolidate,” says Nilekani.
Is it any surprise that the speed gained by going through 3rd party enrollers resulted in screwed up process and dogs & illegal immigrants being granted UID cards?

“I believe I’ve convinced the three who really matter,”
The sheer arrogance of this statement.

Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi, her son and Congress vice president, were the first two. By October 2012, Aadhaar was emerging as one of the Congress Party’s primary poll planks. At a public meeting in Rajasthan, Sonia Gandhi launched the Direct Benefits Transfer (DBT) system which would, over time, convert most government-run subsidy and welfare schemes to cash in Aadhaar-linked bank accounts.

Usha Ramanathan says, “UID wasn’t originally meant to enrol Indians, but only manage the back office, databases and co-ordinate enrolment. But Nilekani was impatient and thought that the government takes too long for most things, so he decided to go ahead with enrolments too.”

But using Aadhaar as sort of a ‘magic key’, a determined government (or powerful adversary) could piece together very detailed information about citizens that is today scattered. These include banking transactions, online purchases, travel itineraries, mobile phone usage, location history and practically anything else that can be electronically recorded.

In a world where identities are created, stored and stolen online, many people are wary of the fact that Aadhaar does not offer any legal protection for citizen data.
When asked about the UIDAI’s policies on breach disclosure, liability or data-retention policies, Nilekani candidly admitted that there were none currently, but that his team was working on finalising them

“Look, we’re amongst the most prepared government agencies when it comes to privacy. But the work on the privacy law had to happen in parallel. Certainly we need one, not just for UID but also for various other aspects like mobile phone records. In fact I myself have been emphasising the need for a privacy law for the last 3 years.” says Nilekani.

Oh really?? he's been merely complaining about the privacy aspect for 3 years... yet why didn't he display the same zeal and ruthless enforcement to drive the need for data protection and privacy as well as he has with the enrollment and enforcement of Aadhar? A man celebrated for his "achievements" with Aadhar is merely happy by emphasizing a need that is pivotal to the security of his entire project that aims to cover over a billion Indian citizens?

Friends - I have not received physical copy of Aadhar and neither e-aadhar is generated. Its being more than 4 months now.

Should I enroll again or wait for the card? Will it cause any issue - like both gets rejected?

Status shows - Aadhar is under generation. Check after few days.

I appreciate if anyone has any input to share.

I got my adhar last week after 5 months of waiting. I actually had got a sms that my adhar will be received two months ago. So guess you have to Just be patient And wait

My father got it in about 7-8 months with address mentioned as " Sub area , New Delhi " . Hence he could only get e-aadhaar . I probably won't be applying , if it becomes absolutely necessary in future will apply for one and may be get it in 4-5 months after rush eases down

A few days after we met, credible news reports said Nilekani—IITian, ex-CEO of Infosys, best-selling author, world-flattener and chairman of the UIDAI—could soon add another title to his glittering CV: He was likely going to contest the 2014 Lok Sabha elections from Bangalore as a Congress candidate. (When we asked a follow-up question later, he wouldn’t comment on it.)
I think the first sentence says it all. Being an IITian and ex-CEO of an organization which just got lucky in the wave of globalisation somehow makes him an expert on everything. The amount of arrogance it brews is just amazing. I think this whole drama is going to be his swansong - he has bagged an IT project with a non-demanding client (Indian government) with an unlimited budget (our taxes).

If anyone's interested Usha Ramanathan gives a good rundown on whats wrong with this whole thing on 7th Oct 2013:

And here's the chart of countries applying biometrics from wikipedia (not hotlinked, please click the link):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Biometric_map.png
Notice anything interesting? Most of the developed countries dont have it.

Last edited:
I think the first sentence says it all. Being an IITian and ex-CEO of an organization which just got lucky in the wave of globalisation somehow makes him an expert on everything. The amount of arrogance it brews is just amazing. I think this whole drama is going to be his swansong - he has bagged an IT project with a non-demanding client (Indian government) with an unlimited budget (our taxes).

If anyone's interested Usha Ramanathan gives a good rundown on whats wrong with this whole thing on 7th Oct 2013:

And here's the chart of countries applying biometrics from wikipedia (not hotlinked, please click the link):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Biometric_map.png
Notice anything interesting? Most of the developed countries dont have it.
Yes very true. I have also said about the demerits of having Aadhar and how the developed countries have avoided this, in some of my previous posts.
I have no idea why are some people trying to act smart.
Like i said some ministers did not even know, whether Aadhar is a card or a number. :)
Good thing is the Supreme Court decision of not making it mandatory, else this UPA govt was making it mandatory in all places.
There was also a good blog that i read about Nandan Nilekani regarding aadhar, cant find it now though. :(

Yes very true. I have also said about the demerits of having Aadhar and how the developed countries have avoided this, in some of my previous posts.
I have no idea why are some people trying to act smart.
Like i said some ministers did not even know, whether Aadhar is a card or a number. :)
Good thing is the Supreme Court decision of not making it mandatory, else this UPA govt was making it mandatory in all places.
There was also a good blog that i read about Nandan Nilekani regarding aadhar, cant find it now though. :(

Supreme Court has not come up with a final decision yet & still gas agencies/companies are pushing people to get Aadhaar enrolment done..

Friends - I have not received physical copy of Aadhar and neither e-aadhar is generated. Its being more than 4 months now.

Should I enroll again or wait for the card? Will it cause any issue - like both gets rejected?

Status shows - Aadhar is under generation. Check after few days.

I appreciate if anyone has any input to share.
Hello mate it take 6month or more in some cases I have heard It may go more then a year.. U dont have that receipt...? till your adhar come to you have to use that receipt when needed..!
Some time post man puts the adhar card in post box of building instead of delivering it to home... Lazy postmans..;)

Back