Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

of course multi driver ones will always have the advantage if tuned right with a good crossover circuit.
but here all the ones in comparison are dynamic ones and its a shame they have a very poor bass(vs ex083)

i too loved my mee a151 till i heard some good dynamics,i wowed to never get a single driver balanced armature again.
but based on reviews mee a161p has a very good bass despite being a ba

I heard the @santhoshr s meelec a161 day before yesterday and I was floored by it. For a single ba driver it had one of the most inoffensive yet detailed and balanced FR ever! Absolutely zero sibilance! While the presentation was very upfront and staging a bit narrow, it's tonality was very lovable! I would place it right after the triple fi in my ranking! If the meelec had a little bit more extended treble while avoiding sibilance like it is now and had a better soundstage I am sure it will laugh and run circles around triple fi for sure!!

Last edited:
XBA1 and XBA3 do not even sound like normal BA phones. I don't think there's a resemblance between XBA3 and MH1.

MH1 lacks bass? It isn't. At the same time, Eterna lacks nothing against MH1C as far as bass is concerned - quantity, impact or extension. Also, Eterna and CDD both sound clearer next to MH1. But then, I am not doing attentive listening and I did not adjust them for equal loudness.

The reason most people like MH1C is that it has an inoffensive signature and it was cheap. It is no longer cheap at $60 or so it was selling at. It is quite a nice IEM, but what I do not find amusing is how it gets higher SQ rating than PFE112 on clieOS' list.

And A161P still has BA bass.

PS: Before I finished this one message, you guys have typed three!

Lol exactly 3 again hahahaha

I heard the @santhoshr s meelec a161 day before yesterday and I was floored by it. For a single ba driver it have one of the most inoffensive yet detailed and balanced FR ever! Absolutely zero sibilance! While the presentation was very upfront and staging a but narrow, it's tonality was very lovable! I would place it right after the triple fi in my ranking! If the meelec had a little bit more extended treble while avoiding sibilance like it is now and had a better soundstage I am sure it will laugh and run circles around triple fi for sure!!

yup,ppl are really loving that thing.
only thing bad is the build quality which looks suspect at best.
they are available for only 5200 from ebay.in

i say that is a very very good deal

yup,ppl are really loving that thing.
only thing bad is the build quality which looks suspect at best.
they are available for only 5200 from ebay.in

i say that is a very very good deal

Yup, it's a great deal! No doubt about that! And Fischer audio SBA-3 is supposed to be the same thing but with better build quality. Do you mind posting the ebay.in link ?

@sardar17,

I agree with you. When hype machine starts rolling, people hear what they read.

There was a Black Friday sale for A161P @ $50 though :)

RE0 is 160 ohms? I am pretty sure it was 64. RE-1 had 150 ohms though!

@sardar17,

I agree with you. When hype machine starts rolling, people hear what they read.

There was a Black Friday sale for A161P @ $50 though :)

RE0 is 160 ohms? I am pretty sure it was 64. RE-1 had 150 ohms though!

u get the point.
yes i may have confused the two.

fortunately i am atleast happy with gr07 mk2
they are miles better than brainwavz m3 and mh-1.also i paid only 130$ so all is well[DOUBLEPOST=1388590082][/DOUBLEPOST]@esanthosh

any demo or experience with monster turbine pro copper??
or even gold?

Last edited:
Wow... This thread has chugged along quite a bit!
I don't know...I feel like I want to hear the MH1(especially with the mod). The majority of the reviews makes it sound like it would be a signature I would enjoy, especially on the go. Also, they're only around 1000Rs via eBay UK.

Actually they're quite a few "Definitely want to try" iems. List incoming!

Budget tier
Sony MH1/C
Vsonic VC02
Steelseries Flux
Monoprice 8320
Brainwavz M2
Signature Acoustics Elements C-12
Xears N3i
Philips SHE 3580

Budget stretch tier to <150$ tier
Yamaha EPH-100
Head-direct RE0
Sony XBA-H1
TDK BA200
Sony MDR-XB90EX
Sony XBA 30
ATH-CKN70
Zero audio Carbo basso
Philips fidelio S2
Philips fidelio S1
MEElectronics A161P
JVC HA-FXT90
Vsonic VC1000
Monster Gratitude

We're getting serious now tier >150$-~220$
VSonic GR07 MK2 Pro
Phonak Audeo PFE 112
KEF M200
T-peos H200
DUNU DN-1000
Onkyo IEHF300
RHA MA750
Ortofon e-Q5

You better know your preferred sig tier >220$
Custom art Music One
Etymotic Research ER-4S
JVC HA-FX700
Astrotec AX60
HiFiman RE-272
Monster Miles Davis Trumpet

Will I ever spend this much tier
Sony EX-1000
JVC HA-FX700
InEar StageDiver 2
Sony XBA-H3
Cardas Ear speakers
UE900

Will definitely never spend this much(I hope) tier
JH Audio JH13 Pro Freqphase
Unique Melody Miracle
Ultimate Ears Custom In-Ear Reference Monitors

Dream tier
Noble Kaiser 10 : It is my dream to have this unique beauty.
TA 1plus2 : I desperately want to experience that bass and soundstage

And these are just off the top of my head.
What am I missing?

Wow... This thread has chugged along quite a bit!
I don't know...I feel like I want to hear the MH1(especially with the mod). The majority of the reviews makes it sound like it would be a signature I would enjoy, especially on the go. Also, they're only around 1000Rs via eBay UK.

Actually they're quite a few "Definitely want to try" iems. List incoming!

Budget tier
Sony MH1/C
Vsonic VC02
Steelseries Flux
Monoprice 8320
Brainwavz M2
Signature Acoustics Elements C-12
Xears N3i
Philips SHE 3580

Budget stretch tier to <150$ tier
Yamaha EPH-100
Head-direct RE0
Sony XBA-H1
TDK BA200
Sony MDR-XB90EX
Sony XBA 30
ATH-CKN70
Zero audio Carbo basso
Philips fidelio S2
Philips fidelio S1
MEElectronics A161P
JVC HA-FXT90
Vsonic VC1000
Monster Gratitude

We're getting serious now tier >150$-~220$
VSonic GR07 MK2 Pro
Phonak Audeo PFE 112
KEF M200
T-peos H200
DUNU DN-1000
Onkyo IEHF300
RHA MA750
Ortofon e-Q5

You better know your preferred sig tier >220$
Custom art Music One
Etymotic Research ER-4S
JVC HA-FX700
Astrotec AX60
HiFiman RE-272
Monster Miles Davis Trumpet

Will I ever spend this much tier
Sony EX-1000
JVC HA-FX700
InEar StageDiver 2
Sony XBA-H3
Cardas Ear speakers
UE900

Will definitely never spend this much(I hope) tier
JH Audio JH13 Pro Freqphase
Unique Melody Miracle
Ultimate Ears Custom In-Ear Reference Monitors

Dream tier
Noble Kaiser 10 : It is my dream to have this unique beauty.
TA 1plus2 : I desperately want to experience that bass and soundstage

And these are just off the top of my head.
What am I missing?

if u listen to rock,pop and especially rap
mh-1 just sucks.

get ex083(for 700-800) instead.but if u like details and very smooth treble they are very good at that.

dammit,with a better seal bass has improved on mh-1!!:D[DOUBLEPOST=1388595953][/DOUBLEPOST]
Is it Similar to the Sony EX082?

looks are the same but i read somewhere that 083 were the improved version.
take notice when i say that bass on these is>gro7 in quality and quantity both
soundstage is same.

no hype but they are extremely enjoyable for a 800 rs pair

all right final impressions
ex083 vs gr07 mk2
bass quality and quantity ex083>gr07 mk2

soundsatge=same

mids gr07>>ex083

highs gr07>>ex083

but 083 have no sibilance and are very very enjoyable.

i am serious when i say that for rock,pop and rap these are better than brainwavz m3 which severely lacks in soundstage and bass.

i also purchased mh-1 believing the hype and i must say i am pretty disappointed.i paid about 30$ for oem version with no warranty,then bought a 8$ omtp to ctia converter so all in all 40$ for these.

sound is ok but the biggest prolem is that they need a lot of power.my clip+ at 0 volume(u know what it means,0 db for rockbox after which + volume starts) sounds a bit loud when while using gr07 mk2 i don't go beyond -11 or -12!!

bass as compared to brainwavz m3 is more but quality is lacking.compared to ex083 and gr07 its totally lacking in quality and quantity.

mids are fine,a bit muddy compared to gr07.m3 but better than ex083

highs are pretty smooth like m3,maybe treble lacks a bit of extension vs gr07,again better than ex083 marginally.

but still on an overall scenario for rock,pop and expecially rap

gr07 mk2>>ex083>>brainwavz m3>>sony mh-1

for vocal intensive songs having no drums or little bass

brainwavz m3>gr07 mk2>>mh-1>>>ex083(but m3 have a really weak soundstage so preference may change)

if u guys think mh-1 has huge bass then just listen to gr07 and especially ex083,damn now thats called a punchy bass

source----

clip+ rockboxed

update:

for the relaxed listening without thinking too much into technicalities
brainwavz m3>sony mh-1(both are unoffensive with liquid smooth treble and no sibilance at all)>gr07 mk2>ex083

gr07 mk2 has more sibilance and the drums are damn punchy especially if u listen to TOOL,METALLICA,OPETH
they are more enjoyable too but for long listening one may get fatigued but i typically never listen to same set of genre,i shuffle between indian,western,rock,pop,rap so its not really a problem

Last edited:
Why do you guys crank up the volume so much? But, seeing that this has been the norm (Fah33M and another C-12 review I saw on HFV recently), may be I am the exception here.

I rarely venture beyond -30 these days with the Clip+. I used to listen around -20 in the early days, but after a long break, find these volume levels to be enough. I do slightly below -40 with SE535 and FX700.

The thing is bass quantity is a function of the seal and many times, the deeper you can insert, better your perception becomes. The other important thing is the interface between ear and the IEM - the tip. Tip rolling is highly recommended once you have built a sufficient number of them. Bass and treble, due to equal loudness contour, are always heard better when you crank up the volume. The third spoke in the wheel is the IEM's sensitivity (impedance and sensitivity rating, though these can feel so wrong sometimes, like with FXD80, I had to crank up the volume far higher than any IEM). An efficient IEM can sound a lot louder at the same volume in Clip+ compared to another (like MH1C) which requires higher volume. So, better match the loudness of the mids when you are comparing IEMs.

Why do you guys crank up the volume so much? But, seeing that this has been the norm (Fah33M and another C-12 review I saw on HFV recently), may be I am the exception here.

I rarely venture beyond -30 these days with the Clip+. I used to listen around -20 in the early days, but after a long break, find these volume levels to be enough. I do slightly below -40 with SE535 and FX700.

The thing is bass quantity is a function of the seal and many times, the deeper you can insert, better your perception becomes. The other important thing is the interface between ear and the IEM - the tip. Tip rolling is highly recommended once you have built a sufficient number of them. Bass and treble, due to equal loudness contour, are always heard better when you crank up the volume. The third spoke in the wheel is the IEM's sensitivity (impedance and sensitivity rating, though these can feel so wrong sometimes, like with FXD80, I had to crank up the volume far higher than any IEM). An efficient IEM can sound a lot louder at the same volume in Clip+ compared to another (like MH1C) which requires higher volume. So, better match the loudness of the mids when you are comparing IEMs.

-30 is inaudible to me,,,damn
my father was comfortable at -22 to -24!!

it varies with songs too,with gr07 mk2 i remain within -12 to -18 depending upon the song
but with mh-1,i move between 0 and -5

My listening volume always maxes out at -24(RB clip zip). And more and it get very comfortable.
Also, when I start off listening, I usually find the -35to -30 level comfortable. And after a while I slowly adjust to -26 and settle there.
The RE400 does sound better at -24 :D. I usually adjust the volume according to the mids but the RE400 needs a few extra dBs to push that bass through

My listening volume always maxes out at -24(RB clip zip). And more and it get very comfortable.
Also, when I start off listening, I usually find the -35to -30 level comfortable. And after a while I slowly adjust to -26 and settle there.
The RE400 does sound better at -24 :D. I usually adjust the volume according to the mids but the RE400 needs a few extra dBs to push that bass through

dammit!!
am i going deaf??
i am 26 years old.u guys are about the same or difference is 15-20 years??

i listen at -30 but at times may be -28.I do feel -10 is pretty high.Try to get around -25,would be good for ur ears and u would enjoy music much better for years to come:)

Back