1080p <24in Monitor advice request

calvin1719

Mostly harmless.
Adept
Hi all,

My 15 year old 900p finally decided to die, so I need to buy a new one pretty urgently. Also don't have a large budget, so sticking to a max of around 13K.

What I want from the monitor is
  • 1080p <24in
  • a decent enough refresh rate and response time, 144hz preferable but 75hz is also ok,
  • decent colour accuracy.
  • Edit: also, no/low backlight bleed

I'm pretty sure all panels in this range have 72% NTSC coverage, and around 250 - 300 cd/m2 brightness, don't think there'd be a lot of differentiation there.

Brand preferences:
  • LG - I think LG makes their own panels? And I've generally heard good things about their service.
  • Acer - heard bad things about their service
  • MSI - Generally a decent experience with MSI products, but again heard a couple of horror stories about service
What I'm considering right now:
Appreciate any thoughts, feedback, or advice.

Edit: Primary usage is gaming, movies, general browsing.

Aopen 24" 144Hz - personally using this from the last few months, pretty good panel considering the price, and will provide a much better experience than any 75hz monitor for not just gaming but general smoothness and UI elements.

Backlight quality is good? Top amazon review mentions terrible backlight and bleed issues.
On my particular unit it is pretty even. Only "issue" I have is smearing in dark scenes, which is a characteristic of VA panels anyway and is partially fixed by using overdrive settings. Not perfect, but not unbearable either. But the contrast ratio is noticeably better than my laptop's IPS panel, and makes watching movies and shows far more enjoyable as a result.
Also considering this one: Acer KG241QS
That's a TN panel, would avoid that when IPS and VA options are available for not much more. Viewing angles and contrast ratio are quite bad on TNs.

LG 24MP59G. I have been using this for the past 4 yrs now.. Right at the end of 3 yrs, its panel went kaput and luckily LG changed the entire panel and from then, its part of my dual monitor setup. Its a good one for gaming and browsing but currently its lying ideal as i got used to my 2K 144 Hz monitor a lot..

Backlight quality is good? Top amazon review mentions terrible backlight and bleed issues.
Also considering this one: Acer KG241QS
I have this. It's pretty good for my use case which is CSGO and other fps. The brightness is excellent and viewing angles aren't bad as people make it out to be based on what they read about TN panels instead of actually owning and using it.

Back