240v to 120v....how?

rishia said:
^ You're confusing between the audio power vs. the electrical power. The audio power stated for the receiver here is the peak power rating calculated by the peak Current and Voltage, while the actual rating is the based on RMS values so you will need to divide the the peak power by the square of root 2 (ie. 2) to get the power rating of the receiver, which comes out to be 500 W.

I've been using my 1000W receiver and a 200 W woofer using a 750 W transformer without any problems. Got it at around 1.5 K from S P Road Bangalore. Although I also use a Monster power conditioner just in case there is an issue with the 50-60 Hz thingy or any other electricity problems here in India to be really sure :)

Of course I am very well conversant with things like RMS, etc, etc. I was just curious about the power consumption of the receiver! Where did the "audio power vs. the electrical power" come in?:S

Power consumption of the receiver (W) = power output (W)/efficiency

So a receiver with an efficiency of 50% will require 500 watts for an audio output of 250 watts.

Given reasonable loads, a receiver should be using about 100 watts for most of its lifetime.

And efficiency is typically in the 65-70% range.

The problem is that budget receivers use very small power supplies. A receiver specified for 100 watt x 5 will typically have a 300-350 watt power supply. Which makes it a generator. But that's another story.

Music is by nature dynamic, and movies are even more dynamic (differences between average and peak sounds is very high), there can be peaks of over 20dB in the overall range. Let's say 26dB, which is 20 times. So for a steady output of 100 watts, you can have a peak power draw of 2000 watts for a few miliseconds at a time. If the amp can survive (and some can!), the power supply should be able to supply it, and the mains should be able to survive it but

The problem is that budget receivers use very small power supplies.

There are tricks to hold up the amplifier for some of these peaks, and usually there is some dynamic headroom in all amps, but this is why amps sound nasty at high levels: poor power supplies. The best amps will specify output power after adjusting for headroom, the budget ones will over-spec and under-deliver.

A transformer is a very good bet, as long as it's wound with an oversized wire and slightly oversized core. This is because it only transfers the energy, it does not create it. So the ratings are more about thermal limits of the winding wire and insulation (lower current rating = thinner wire=more resistance=more heat), and magnetic saturation of the core. Very small transformers can sustain very high power for small durations, but not continuously.

Sorry for the length, but oversizing never hurts, not when it comes to a power supply. Or a post :)

Wraith said:
Thanks for the replies guys....the Pioneer is rated @ 390W..

janitha said:
Where did the "audio power vs. the electrical power" come in?:S

Coz there is no ambiguity in the fact that the receiver is rated 390 W, although the Audio output is about 1000 W ( @ 130 W/ Channel), so it could be any ones guess that where the 1KW could be coming from. Correct me if I'm wrong. The calculation I did might be wrong though, doesn't factor in the efficiencies.

Looks like just the right thread for my query. I have an electric shaver from the US which will run only on 120V. The wattage written on the shaver is 2W, which sounds too less to me. I've tried finding an adapter (thats what I was calling it till now) to convert 230 to 120 but the least powerful that was available was also 20W. Most of them were 50W upwards. The shaver is lying unused for the lack of a good converter.

Please advice if the 20W regular adapter that we get in the electrical hardware shops will suffice.

Kneo said:
Looks like just the right thread for my query. I have an electric shaver from the US which will run only on 120V. The wattage written on the shaver is 2W, which sounds too less to me. I've tried finding an adapter (thats what I was calling it till now) to convert 230 to 120 but the least powerful that was available was also 20W. Most of them were 50W upwards. The shaver is lying unused for the lack of a good converter.

Please advice if the 20W regular adapter that we get in the electrical hardware shops will suffice.

Why not? :p A more powerful adaptor wont hurt it ;)

Just chekc if the PS3 power adapter is a universal one..I thought all PS3 ship with a lappy style universal power adapter. Maybe it might be mentioned over it. In that case just buy a US-India power jack

Raghunandan said:
@Kneo, The 20W adapter will work well. Oversizing the adapter is fine. Shaving machines dont use much power, 2W seems fine.

Great - I always thought that higher wattage would blow up the shaver !! Thanks for the info mate

Help needed please!!!!

I had purchased a Sony HT from US and now I am back to India. problem is with my surround sound which is not working . I doubt it may be because of input supply, here in India is 240v/50HZ but US specification is 60HZ and that might be the problem??? Can any one let me know please if this could be a reason and where can I get the 120V/60HZ step down transformer. Please help me . input is highly appreciated.
Thanks

Have a Pioneer reciever and got a step down transformer for 500 watts rating at 1500 Rs. Working like a charm since 6 months, leave it on all the time so no heating issues or anything of the sort.
As far as PS3 is concerned, I thought its PSU was 220-120 and many forumers who got theirs from US have theirs working here without converters...

neergup said:
Help needed please!!!!

I had purchased a Sony HT from US and now I am back to India. problem is with my surround sound which is not working . I doubt it may be because of input supply, here in India is 240v/50HZ but US specification is 60HZ and that might be the problem??? Can any one let me know please if this could be a reason and where can I get the 120V/60HZ step down transformer. Please help me . input is highly appreciated.
Thanks

Surround has nothing to do with 60hz or 50hz. Its just your clock that you set on the reciever that would not work properly caz of that....

So try some other settings. Are you using 5.1 input to get 5.1 output? Caz regular stereo content would work only on 2 speakers unless you override using virtual surround or something... Read the manual and things should become clear.

Thanks for the info. actually I used original DVD (US edition) but that also is not working and I am unable to play it in any surround mode as system refused to changed to any surround mode.It is only playing as 2.1 channel.

Sorry for resurecting an old thread. But i just got a rotary tool which needs a step down convertor. Its a black and decker rtx model with 2 aps written. Which one should i get

Power (watts) = V (volts) x I (amps)

Rating of tool:

V = 120V

I = 2A

Wattage = 120 x 2 = 220W

Nin rounded it up to 300W to be safe. As mentioned in this thread, is always a good idea to over-spec the transformer.

Well got one from sp road today wwith the brand name raksha. Now every time i plug it into a power strip the power strip just trips. Its a 500 watt model as 300 was not available. What do u guys think it is?

Back