Monitors 27" LED from (Korea)

saumik_

Adept
Hello peoples,

The bug has finally bitten me and I want to buy one of these WQHD 27" IPS LEDs from ebay (shipped from korea) since an HD 27" from Mumbai itself will cost around the same but will carry what 1-2 yrs warranty? not worth it IMO.

Here are my two options both pixel perfect ($60 more but why risk it?):

?Perfect Pixel ? QH270-Lite ? ShiMian 27" QHD 16:9 DVI-D Wide 2560x1440 Monitor | eBay

New YAMAKASI CATLEAP Q270 SE 27" LED 2560X1440 WQHD DVI-D Monitor *Perfect Pixel | eBay

Now the only issue is customs, I have no idea how the whole thing works. I will obv tell the seller to mark the item at say $125 but even if it were $250, since its under 25k does customs duty, excise etc apply?
Also will they stop and hoard the monitor until I go and claim it? or will it actually reach my door.

^this is my only concern as of now, dnt care about the warranty bit.

Pls advise :)

Saumik

Insist on Fedex or DHL for shipping and they will get it cleared with no hassle. Duty will be about 28% and courier company will charge an extra 300-350 Rs as handling charge for customs clearance.

Avoid EMS Speedpost, if at all there is a problem with customs, it will be a big headache.

@saumik_

So did you buy the monitor? Would appreciate if you can post your experience ie how long it took, dead pixels if any, customs duty etc! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
^ You forgot to add the 90 USD for shipping. :p

And eitherway ShopAbroad will not buy items which are not shipped from within the US.

^^ Damn.. forgot to add shipping... Anyway I've already ordered it through shopabroad... Damages Rs.25,000 from Ebay.com seller Dreamseller

I was going for the ACD 27" but decided to gamble on this...

People get it around 19k to quote
user-offline.png
from another forum via Fedex from seller and Fedex cleared all customs etc

they have taken it as 11.8k
+28% customs
+870 octroi
+300 "other"
=4.6k

^^ Damn.. forgot to add shipping... Anyway I've already ordered it through shopabroad... Damages Rs.25,000 from Ebay.com seller Dreamseller

I was going for the ACD 27" but decided to gamble on this...

They accepted the order from a seller outside the US? I had asked them on 2-3 different occassions and they said no! :no:

Anyway why did you order through ShopAbroad? They directly ship to India right.

Shopabroad takes care of customs duty and doorstep delivery... No hassles... Guaranteed delivery of the item in original condition with full refund if damaged in transit.

Shopabroad deal with US sellers only...

The seller is based in the US and a reputed one on Ebay.com He has been recommended by many buyers on both Hardforums & Overclock.net forums. He imports from Korea and sells it in the US.

They accepted the order from a seller outside the US? I had asked them on 2-3 different occassions and they said no! :no:

Anyway why did you order through ShopAbroad? They directly ship to India right.

^ But there are sellers from Korea who have listed on eBay.com who ship through Fedex or DHL like the one you linked above or the ones on the first post. :confused:

Fedex / DHL will also deal with customs and there is zero hassle, you just need to pay them at the time of delivery. Am I missing something?

As far as total amount spent is concerned Fedex method may fall more expensive with payment done through paypal....

Fedex doesn't inform you in advance about customs duty. With shopabroad its quite clear what charges you are going to incur. I don't know about how much expedited shipping is on ebay.com to India.

I've paid a shipping of approx Rs.5000 & duty Rs.3300

Edit: Just checked Fedex shipping charges shipping to India for this monitor is $257

ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-Lite Quad HD 2560x1440 16:9 D-Sub Computer Monitor | eBay

So basically you're saying that shipping is free with this monitor ?? So instead of shipping it from the US the seller will ship it from Korea ??

I haven't used paypal but i guess commission charges will add to the total cost...

Just check any listing from Korean sellers, all are including shipping. This is 300 USD shipped to India by Fedex / DHL-- New ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-Lite 27" WQHD LED HD DVI 2560 x 1440 Computer Monitor | eBay

17.5k + 4.5k duty = 22k, So a difference of about 3k.

Btw can you post the listing from which you ordered?

^ But isn't that a Korean seller who ships from Korea? :confused1:

Item location: 614-090, Korea, South

ShopAbroad was fine with placing an order from that listing?

Edit : Yes, shipping to India is free and is included in the price. In your case, it will go from Korea --> US > India (and you are paying US -> India shipping cost again)

If you had ordered directly, it will come directly from Korea --> India.

Not much of a difference, ICC's conversion rate is 56 and when paying through PayPal it will be about 58.5. Customs will be almost the same in both cases.

I guess I missed the item location... Too bad !!!

You can check out shopabroad's shipping policy with full refund and free shipping back to the seller if the item is damaged in transit...

Does Fedex or the seller offer the same convenience ??

^ But isn't that a Korean seller who ships from Korea? :confused1:

ShopAbroad was fine with placing an order from that listing?

Edit : Yes, shipping to India is free and is included in the price. In your case, it will go from Korea --> US > India (and you are paying US -> India shipping cost again)

If you had ordered directly, it will come directly from Korea --> India.

Not much of a difference, ICC's conversion rate is 56 and when paying through PayPal it will be about 58.5. Customs will be almost the same in both cases.

Well, its clearly given that they do not issue a refund if the item is purchased from eBay.com and once you accept the package no claims can be made.

** Shop Abroad will not refund orders purchased through ebay.com or other sites that are not listed on the shopaboradonline.com. In these cases Shop Abroad may try to assist in the refund, but will not guarantee and refund and any refund will be made if and when the original store where it was purchased from has credited Shop Abroad.

Well, you can do all this if you order directly as well. I feel, you are more protected if you order directly, as there is no middle man involved. You can open a PayPal or eBay dispute if something is wrong, yourself.

Anyway you have ordered it, and I have nothing against ShopAbroad, infact I order a lot of items through ShopAbroad. Its just that, IMHO ordering directly may have been a cheaper and a better option in this case.

This is a glossy monitor with choice of tempered glass... Some owners have successfully overdriven it to 100Hz or more with supporting graphics cards...

Some panels are already at higher refresh rates out of the box...

Dell uses heavy AG coating that some people do not prefer. As far as I know Apple Cinema Display uses the same panel with glossy screen and costs $999 presently

So what's so special about these monitors other than our regular lg,dell and samsung ips panel ?

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

The shopabroad no refund policy on ebay is due to sellers shipping products not totally 100 percent to specs in accordance with ebay listing.

In that case shopabroad had to refund a lot of people's claims in the past hence the policy.

I've already spoken to shopabroad customer service earlier regarding this policy with assurance that in my case the monitor is fully guaranteed against damage. However the specs are not guaranteed...

In my haste I did not look at all the options... I did not want to take the risk of damaged item or starting an ebay dispute (time consuming). shopabroad handles all the disputes if any. I remember a TE member's post where Fedex heavily charged customs duty on an item. can't find the post right now.

Well, its clearly given that they do not issue a refund if the item is purchased from eBay.com and once you accept the package no claims can be made.

Well, you can do all this if you order directly as well. I feel, you are more protected if you order directly, as there is no middle man involved. You can open a PayPal or eBay dispute if something is wrong, yourself.

Anyway you have ordered it, and I have nothing against ShopAbroad, infact I order a lot of items through ShopAbroad. Its just that, IMHO ordering directly may have been a cheaper and a better option in this case.

Back