2nd hand laptop vs Netbook

singenaadam

Skilled
After looking at a lot of netbooks/their specs, I was thinking :
1. Would a 2nd hand (~1-2 yr laptop) be a better choice than a Netbook?
{Esp., given that many netbooks can't play all multimedia (720p/BR Rips) etc.}

2. Dell is referred to as flimsy build. Build-wise will Toshiba, Lenovo, HP (Pavilion, not Compaq series), Sony, Samsung be better than say, MSI, ASUS, Acer?
3. If the above is true, how to identify a good 2nd hand laptop?!

4. The only thing that is holding me personally is that if it were a desktop, I an strip & do whatever changes myself, but I heard in the case of laptops that is not true and we have to rely significantly on the "services" of the vendor.

Any thoughts?

1. If you can find a good 2nd hand laptop in good condition at an acceptable price go for it. But one thing to consider is that the battery life of any laptop decreases after an year of usage.

2. Build quality does not depend on the manufacturer but on individual models. For example the Thinkpad lineup from Lenovo has excellent build-quality but the Ideapad lineup is exactly opposite.

3. That is up to you. Check the config, sturdyness, heat dissipation, scratches, repairs made, parts replaced, etc.

4. Most components of a laptop cannot be changed by the user except for the Optical drive, HDD & RAM. So it is essential that the laptop be backed up with good warranty.

Hope that helps.

what i have seen and experinced after 3-4 years of usage of different laptops , you have to have warranty on them , these days laptops are coming as they are just meant to survive till the warranty period .

My suggestion will be get a laptop but do make sure its under warranty or alteast extended 1 else go fir new netbook and have peace of mind .

I haven't actually decided to buy now. Just thinking of having a portable device for my kid to read, play 720/1080p downloads.

Probably an ultra-portable is the best fit.

The problem is that most of the laptops do not come with a matte screen. I have a HP/Compaq laptop & find it very irritating to have a clear (but reflecting) screen. If I need to see my reflection, I prefer a mirror!

At present the only one that seem to fit the bill is the yet to be launched Lenovo X120e.

Are you aware of any other models. I have time (~6 months).

1) A second hand laptop would be a better choice if it is good condition.

2) I personally prefer Dell and have recommended it to n number of people who use it without build issues. I think Dell has really good build and it is second only to Vaio. But Vaio is expensive.

I am not considering the Thinkpads and the Macboks as they are essentially expensive than similar specced competitors.

3) A good secondhand laptop has hinges that are 'tight'. By 'tight' I mean that the hinges don't feel loose.

All the keys on the keyboard work well and are not loose or have play. The screen doesn't have bad spots or dead pixels.

The HDD doesn't have bad sectors. The Optical drive has no read/write issues.

The battery life is good. The touchpad doesn't have excessive signs of usage. Preferably has a warranty remaining.

4) If the lappy is in warranty, you'll get free service and replacement of parts from the ASC. But after that, only the RAM (and if you are an expert, the HDD) is user serviceable.

Who says netbooks can't play 720p?

I have ASUS 1201T and it plays even 1080p files.

I think netbook term is redundant as netbook conveys surfing internet that's all.

Today's netbooks do almost everything for example video encoding,multi programing,watch movies,MS office,surfing internet.

Netbook may not be suitable for photoshop or very processor intensive requirements.

Get a 12 inch Netbook instead of a Laptop or else get a netbook with an emply Mini PCIe slot & put a Broadcom Crystal HD decoder. Then it will play HD videos without any issue.

My preference would be a New Netbook over a 2nd hand Laptop.

Thanks for the replies.

I had shortlisted the 1210T but the glossy screen.....

No one has mentioned about the screen (matte/non-reflecting). That is a top priority & the only reason to look at the "business" laptop segment.

^ I have used in the past Samsung ,Sony,Acer and now using ASUS 1201T.

Samsung has matte screen AND YOU SEE NOTHING IN SUNLIGHT.

Companies are making fool of their customers.

I am using ASUS without any issues.

Are you going to use sunlight/indoor lighting coming from behind of you?

rohit3192 said:
Samsung has matte screen AND YOU SEE NOTHING IN SUNLIGHT.
And why would anyone want to use their laptops and netbooks which have matte displays under direct sunlight? If readability under light is an issue for matte displays, then the glossy ones have reflections. Like a mirror, it reflects everything in front of it and I suppose this is even worse!

I have been using a Samsung N128 netbook for almost a year and a half without any issues (the fan broke down a week back - repaired it myself after cleaning it off the dust and with the help of some WD40 drops). The netbook is rarely switched off (not taking into account the power cuts), serves as my primary download machine + a NAS. It cannot play 720p rips but I believe the newer Samsung N150 can, which has a better processor onboard. I have had no complaints regarding the build quality of the netbook. It has been serving me pretty well.

^^
And why would anyone want to use their laptops and netbooks which have matte displays under direct sunlight? If readability under light is an issue for matte displays, then the glossy ones have reflections. Like a mirror, it reflects everything in front of it and I suppose this is even worse!

I owned N210 (was FS in another forum and now sold) so I am talking from personal experience.

Samsung is known for making screens but they do not put high quality screens in their netbooks.

ASUS has decent screen and I can't comb as it is not a mirror.

The use is indoors only. Pl. note the screen is the primary deciding factor. I am quite fed up with my HP/Compaq which reflects quite well, I can even comb (the fast receding hair-line)!

Jokes apart, I need the laptop (I agree that 'netbook' is unnecessary term) for use by two kids - with both able to see the screen clearly, indoors.

With my limited experience in scouring for laptops in various malls/shops, I am not able to find any glossy screen that permits that. That is the only reason to look at definitely more expensive "business-class" laptops.

There was one Samsung Q530 for sale on craigslist - supposed be the poor-mans Mac-Air, but again with a glossy screen....

Back