3G Internet Connection(Chennai) - Help

ggsarankumar

Disciple
Hi,

I am planning to get a 3G Connection. Can you guy suggest me a good provider?
I am in Chennai.

One more question, Is it possible to share the 3G Connection for more than one system?

Re: 3G Internet Connection - Help

I'm using Tata 3g data card, i get frequent disconnection (2-4times) at night time, everyday, other than that speed is very good.

plan:Rs.1250
data limit: 10GB

Sharing:
I'm using a PCI wifi card - ASUS PCE N-13 dual antenna.

It has a s/w Access Point (AP) mode, thru that i share internet from desktop to laptop & update my Android phone apps :p

but it was a pain in the ass to get the s/w AP to work (had to d/l other driver....)

In Chennai, BSNL has the best pricing. Other options are Airtel and Vodafone, which are quite expensive in my opinion.. Aircel is suppose to have but there are no waves about it..

Get a BSNL 3G SIM, try it out with some cheap starter pack or on pay as you go basis. (The compulsory first recharge of 120 used to have some free usage but dont know if it still has.)

If you don't experience any frequent disconnections and the speed is OK, take a data plan that suits you.

And about sharing with other computers, you need to have a wi-fi router which supports and reads 3G USB sticks, which is not very common.

vizmax said:
In Chennai, BSNL has the best pricing. Other options are Airtel and Vodafone, which are quite expensive in my opinion.. Aircel is suppose to have but there are no waves about it..

Get a BSNL 3G SIM, try it out with some cheap starter pack or on pay as you go basis. (The compulsory first recharge of 120 used to have some free usage but dont know if it still has.)

If you don't experience any frequent disconnections and the speed is OK, take a data plan that suits you.

And about sharing with other computers, you need to have a wi-fi router which supports and reads 3G USB sticks, which is not very common.
BSNL aint that cheap anymore. But its better than the private providers in the city. By the way it also depends upon what volumes of data are you gonna download.

If its large GIG's of data stick with a BB, there are good offers. If it just mail check and stuff, go with Reliance or TATA, Air0tel and Vadaphone is Expensive.

Also there are rumours doing the rounds that other service providers who havent won in a particular circle might come on sharing basis so.. its pretty much gonna make it more competitive!

abracadabra said:
BSNL aint that cheap anymore. But its better than the private providers in the city. By the way it also depends upon what volumes of data are you gonna download.

If its large GIG's of data stick with a BB, there are good offers. If it just mail check and stuff, go with Reliance or TATA, Air0tel and Vadaphone is Expensive.

Also there are rumours doing the rounds that other service providers who havent won in a particular circle might come on sharing basis so.. its pretty much gonna make it more competitive!
BSNL is the cheapest.. I know the 700pm days are gone.. But still its way cheaper than private looters..

Chennai Private Players are Airtel, Vodafone & Aircel, and I don't see any alliances coming soon. Even if it does it won't make a huge impact since all the private players are similarly priced across the nation. More over the partnership will aim at providing 3G connectivity while roaming. It may not be possible to get a 3G plan from a provider who does not have license in that circle.

Aircel has an unlimited 3G connection for 1275. Can you beat that? AFAIK no FUP, but still confirm before buying!

rite said:
Aircel has an unlimited 3G connection for 1275. Can you beat that? AFAIK no FUP, but still confirm before buying!

Do you have any solid details regarding this plan? I couldn't find it anywhere other than on some blog. Nothing is mentioned on Aircel website as well.

Exactly, As I mentioned in my first reply, there is no concrete info on Aircel 3G Plans... Apparently its a plan only for Data Cards bought from Aircel (IMEI Locked), but they are yet to launch their Data Cards. And I am sure they will review their pricing before launching..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

ggsarankumar said:
Thx to all.

I have planned to try BSNL. Going to by a 3G sim and use adapter. Can you guys suggest any good adapter?
What kind of adapter??
Do you mean Data Card / USB Modem??

hey any similar 3g (sim based) reasonable plans for mumbai, I want to use it on my tablet.

although there is a workaround for Mumbai users .. buy a bsnl 3g sim from pune and use it in Mumbai.
no roaming charges is in data, it uses mtnl's 3g network, speed is Oky.. I get around 150-180 KBps download speed on IDM on my XP laptop.

but getting recharge done is pain in the @ss, hence looking for an option,

for easier recharge and oky surfing speed on tablet presently I am on docomo edge 2.5 gb / rs.65 and easy recharge /topup online is kinda kool. :) with Oky surfing and around 25-28 KBps download speed on my notion ink Adam android tablet.

hope I am not hijacking the thread. just sharing information on what friends in other cities are upto.

ggsarankumar said:
Thx. Is there any easy way to share the connection for more than one system?
yes u can. ..
got you a pagefull options for router's which support 3g dongle or 3g sim to share you internet with 10 or more devices simultaneously over wifi.

starting from rs. 1900

shop.ebay.in/i.html?_nkw=3g+router&_sacat=0&_odkw=3g+mifi+router&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
enjoy. :p

waatavr said:
yes u can. ..

got you a pagefull options for router's which support 3g dongle or 3g sim to share you internet with 10 or more devices simultaneously over wifi.

starting from rs. 1900

shop.ebay.in/i.html?_nkw=3g+router&_sacat=0&_odkw=3g+mifi+router&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
enjoy. :p
Thx a lot.

You can also setup an adhoc network (works only if your comp/lappy has wireless card) and share upto 5 computers... No need for router or anything :)

Back