50K All Purpose Rig!

^^ Mukesh Bhai, is it you?

"Overclock better" doesn't mean pushing a chip to max for SuperPi or Cinebench. It means the clocks for running a CPU 24x7 in the maddening heat of Delhi.

forget about the reviews. To know how well Thuban overclocks, you need to watch retail pieces. Even if i7 930 is clocking just 4Ghz, it will do so by consuming less juice.

As I stressed in earlier post, in multi-threaded applications Thubans will pull ahead. But in rest of the stuff they are still no match for i7. The truth, for good or bad, is that Phenom architecture can't keep up with Nehalem. Phenom's IPC is just plain in-competitive and Core i CPUs crush Phenoms in memory subsystem. AMD may try and fight with low prices and more cores (doesn't really work except in the case of X4 6XX series), but until Bulldozer doesn't arrive and succeed, the company will not be able to match Intel.

If OP would have been building a rig for 35K or a rig specifically for encoding videos I would have suggested X4 640 but that is not the case. And I am not too sure about "virtual stuff" and how number of cores can affect the virtualization performance, so I won't comment on that.
This part from Anand's review sums Thuban best:

Applications like video encoding and offline 3D rendering show the real strengths of the Phenom II X6. And thanks to Turbo Core, you don't give up any performance in less threaded applications compared to a Phenom II X4. The 1090T can easily trump the Core i7 860 and the 1055T can do even better against the Core i5 750.

You start running into problems when you look at lightly threaded applications or mixed workloads that aren't always stressing all six cores. In these situations Intel's quad-core Lynnfield processors (Core i5 700 series and Core i7 800 series) are better buys. They give you better performance in these light or mixed workload scenarios, not to mention lower overall power consumption.

The better way to look at it is to ask yourself what sort of machine you're building. If you're building a task specific box that will mostly run heavily threaded applications, AMD will sell you nearly a billion transistors for under $300 and you can't go wrong. If it's a more general purpose machine that you're assembling, Lynnfield seems like a better option.

AMD's Six-Core Phenom II X6 1090T & 1055T Reviewed - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

I am not fond of hardware that guzzles 10% more power for 5% performance boost. Current crop of Core CPUs are great for multi-purpose machines, less power hungry and faster than what competition offers. The only problem is price, but I believe someone spending 70K on a PC needs to give a serious thought to i7 CPUs.

Also because you talked about gaming, take a look here: AMD's Phenom II X6 processors - The Tech Report - Page 6

Totally! Been doing a lot of moral policing in the forums offlately - reporting useless OT posts, market sale threads which do not go by the rules, posts with sms lingo or other languages, threads with improper titles, posts with hotlinked images, you name it. :(

@ All TE Members

I'm sorry as I was not able to reply and continue this thread. But there is some good news which I would like to share with everybody here - I'll be shifting in my new home by next month end and I just can't wait to shift to a new place. :hap2:

Also due to this reason I'll have to delay buying my rig by a month. Hope the prices will fall during this period and I'll also get some more options for my rig & valuable inputs/suggestions from all dear TE members. Also I'll post the pics of my rig with unpacking pics of various parts once I get them.

I know that this is off topic but I wanted to share my excitement with the members (family) here. :yahoo:

Hope to see the suggestions coming for my new rig. ;)

Thank you all for the support I've got from the members here. :thanx:

Back