Car & Bike 60km daily travelling, bike or car??

My joining is delayed to August :(, so i still have time to think about it, I currently banking on my bike for the travelling. I wish I could get a flat near Hinjewadi, don't about the availability. Basically my place is 30kms from it and its highway so not much of a problem, but traffic near office would be. So basically I'll have to consider the relocation option.

Traffic in Hinjewadi is hell believe me. I travel everyday on this route and morning is not an issue since i reach office (phase 2) at 8 AM but after 8:30 the inflow of cars and bikes creates havoc. Evenings anytime after 5:30 is bad.
On top of that i believe you have to travel on the Highway between Hinjewadi and your home so when coming from Hinjewadi you need to first cross the bridge and come the other side to wakad and then take a turn around for the highway so you see it is not straightaway highway access.

Sorry for the OT query, but is this a one way 60 km commute (i.e 60 + 60) or 30 km? Traveling 120 km a day can be tiring as hell! :blackeye:

I travel to my workplace (20 + 20) in the company operated bus with decent push-back seats and yet it is a tough ride. Can't imagine how a 120 km ride on a bike is going to be. Ride safe nonetheless.

@Gannu

It is 30+30 and i myself do a 15+15 daily in office bus which btw is either sh1t government bus or even worse private ones. Push back is not there.
But the only reason i have my journeys pleasant is because i watch TV series traveling to and fro.

Last edited by a moderator:
I travel 17+17 daily to Magarpatta on 7 year old Activa :banghead:

Oh man brings back memories... I remember travelling from Magarpatta to Hinjewadi... The days I missed my shuttle I would half consider bunking work.. 450 rs (one way) was the least I was ever charged for a rickshaw!

@Gannu

It is 30+30 and i myself do a 15+15 daily in office bus which btw is either sh1t government bus or even worse private ones. Push back is not there.
But the only reason i have my journeys pleasant is because i watch TV series traveling to and fro.

I mostly sleep during the commutes. There are 2 railway crossings (for goods train) and with some luck, we get stuck and that gives us some 10~15 minutes more for the sleep! :D

+1Car OR Moving to a location near you office. I did suggest walking distance if possible.
If you are already renting the place, then its better to move. You will save on petrol/Diesel, daily travel hassel. It will be monsoon soon, so the travel times will be more than the normal dry days.

Walking distance might not be possible for the OP i believe as per the layout of different phases here. But yes moving close to office, preferably in Hinjewadi will save a lot of time when traveling.

hmmm.. myself riding 35+35... I am getting aged. CAR in Bangalore is fine on a long run. Bike better (with side effects). Pune traffic is very bad i am told though. Think before investing. Talk to your friends (daily commuters) and parents too (experience matters).

I stay in Baner and commute by car mostly and ocassionally by the office bus. I agree that 2 wheeler is not preferred for such daily long distance trips due to the reasons already mentioned above. Also, PMC has to improve the infrastructure otherwise the traffic situation will only worsen. In my office, they have stopped giving car parking stickers to new cars as there's no parking space left. Meanwhile, I roll up the windows, turn on the AC and music to improve my mood while negotiating Hinjewadi traffic.

@Gannu

Offtopic, Tell me one thing. When you watch the TV series, do you find people peeping in your screens.
I really dont like people peeping into my screen. I am really scared if some Adult Scene pops up and the my neighbour happens to be a girl, then things might get embarassing.

Ok from April I will need to travel 60 km daily. In which 40km is highway and 20km is medium-heavy traffic. So I am confused whether a bike will be best or car will be better for it??
I mean I just have a budget of 3-4lakh if car is suggested and 1-1.2lakh for a bike. I can get either a car or a bike.
So what u guys think? a bike would be better or car??
I am 6.1 feet and 60Kg guy. Also I only drive cars, if it is a bike then it will be my first ever bike.
I mean if it is a car I am thinking about EON and if a bike then ZMR or FZ or 180 or something??? :)
I have traveled all my life.
Longest being 120 Km to my Engg College everyday.
Like people have said here, since you would be facing heavy trafiic, its better you take company bus.
Having lived in Mumbai for so long, especially before all the Western Exp Highway flyovers came(It becmae hell, when they started building flyovers), I know that taking a car is also very stressful. Constant Braking, Clutch-DeClutch, Gear Changes can get very stressfull. I had pain in my ankles sometimes because of that. it used to take 3 hours just to cover 15 Kms.
Thats why I always preferred Company Bus.
Now that i have shifted to Mangalore for good, It hardly takes 30-40 mins in Company Bus and 25 mins in a Car.

Since you are from the same city,
a) Renting a flat near office will cost you, and you will be away from family, so see if you can handle that
b) Bike, daily travel entails risks
c) Car, daily travel entails scratches, and will cost you
d) Bus, a little crampy, but like raksrules, can utilize the time. I used to travel 75+75 kms every day for three years. used the bus ride to do some reading (tough on a 3.2" screen 6 years ago), and catch up on the news, stocks, etc.
Hell, i know 3-4 couples who've formed their relationships on the bus, and later married!!

Offtopic, Tell me one thing. When you watch the TV series, do you find people peeping in your screens.
I really dont like people peeping into my screen. I am really scared if some Adult Scene pops up and the my neighbour happens to be a girl, then things might get embarassing.

I can very much relate to this. Now the thing is that in morning bus there is less crowd so usually there is no one besides me and i keep my bag there.
In the evening i take a seat which is single so no one besides me. But yes there are instances where there is someone besides me and they do peep sometimes but i don't care. I usually know if the series has nudity or not and one can sense based on the premise that whether the scene will come or not. In such cases i either pause the video or tilt it other way for the part of the scene. :p
On top of that mine is iPhone 4S in which i watch the series so it does not grab that much attention due to smaller screen. But yes if i were to carry a galaxy note 2 and watch videos then yes i would surely get more peeping.

I was thinking about all the point that Vince mentioned, my priorities that time will be 1. Time 2. Happiness 3. Money, I am ready to spend to save time.

1. If I travel by bus then mostly it will take 2+2 hours which is too much, but advantage is it is safe,confortable and cheap.
2. If I go by car there is high chance of getting struck in traffic + petrol cost too much these days, don't see much of advantage here.
3. If I shift near office I will be separated from family that means extra money for staying, will have to spend quite much on maintenance like food and stuff but advantage is time is saved quite much and no travel tension.
4. If I go by bike then health issue, not safe??, advantage is it takes only 45 minutes in early morning to reach from my house, efficient.

So what do you guys say?

I would anytime take bus. I used to be a bike rider but then i shifted to bus because of safety reasons. However disciplined i try to ride the bike, there are others who ride haphazardly and i did not wish to take that risk. The time saving was not really worth it for me. Yes the downside is that i need to adhere to bus timings but i am ok with it. Since i watch TV series in my travel time, i am more than happy.

Basically time saving is important to me as I have to finish side projects, I am not into entertainment much, though I can spend time gaming, btw how much time does it take for you on bus and whats your office and bus timings?

If you can safely ride a bike, nothing like it. But sometimes, it doesn't matter whether you're driving safely or not... If a large vehicle hits and runs, there's nothing you can do (like my accident in January).

Basically time saving is important to me as I have to finish side projects, I am not into entertainment much, though I can spend time gaming, btw how much time does it take for you on bus and whats your office and bus timings?

I hope time saving does not mean you drive fast. Forget entertainment, the only reason I am saying bus is to be safe. I know that on stretch between Hinjewadi bridge and chandani chowk lot of accidents happen.
My morning bus comes at 7:30 to pick and evening I take 6 pm bus. There are buses between 7:30 and 8:00 at my place but I prefer the first bus.
Morning it takes me less than half hour to reach office due to very less traffic. In evening almost 50 minutes from office to home (get in and get down).

Back