Graphic Cards 6850 and 6870 reviews

speedyfreak said:
I most games The OCed GTX 460 beats HD 6870 @ stock !!

If GTX 460 Price Cuts Then Many of us have to reconsider Buying HD 6870 !!
The OC'ed GTX460 you are talking about is a Premium EVGA card overclocked 26% over stock clocks
as Mr.Anand Lal pointed out, it is Blasphemous to call this Humongously overclocked piece a 460,
rather a whole different name like GTX 461 would do it justice
it is even equal to GTX470
mach9 said:
It's not just about the performance in terms of scores or FPS.. IRL the difference between a few FPS is hardly noticeable.

Take a look at the power, temp & even noise to get the whole picture.. lower power consumption is always a BIG +ve as well as an even bigger +ve for lower temperatures.

Thats what makes the newer gen ATI cards a winner overall.
yes Temps and Power consumption are quite biggeer factors than FPS difference less than 5%
impulse1992 said:
guys any news about 6770???
is it even gonna be released
no there isn't gonna be any HD6770 or lesser series
HD57xx and lower series will continue till Q1 2011 and will be replaced by AMD Fusion processors
rajuwaste said:
Compared with 460 ,Ati 6850 consumes less power but creates more heat :(
if you look at the fan profiles in the tests
you'll see that the default fan profile reaches 50-60% under Furmark
so it is logical that with some more fanspeed tweaking using utilities like TRIXXX and such, the rate of heat dissipation from the graphics ore can be increased considerably

speedyfreak said:
I most games The OCed GTX 460 beats HD 6870 @ stock !!

If GTX 460 Price Cuts Then Many of us have to reconsider Buying HD 6870 !!
The factory OCed 460 is also priced similar to 6870. So, what do you think will happen if you OC 6870? Yep, it will be even more faster. So, when you are paying the same price which one would you pick? The one which is already at its limit or the one which can be pushed even further?
impulse1992 said:
guys any news about 6770???
is it even gonna be released
Afaik, the 68xx series is the successor to 57xx. Only, the naming has been changed. So, I dont think there will be anything called 6770. BUT, you never know. It might still come up as an HTPC aimed card.

pretttt said:
The factory OCed 460 is also priced similar to 6870. So, what do you think will happen if you OC 6870? Yep, it will be even more faster. So, when you are paying the same price which one would you pick? The one which is already at its limit or the one which can be pushed even further?

but according to the tomshardware review they were able to push the 6870 just buy 50mhz more.

_

well lets consider a hypothetical situation , 11k 460 vs 15k 6870 , 460 does 50 fps and 6870 does 60 , now you oc both and their scores are 60 fps vs 67 fps , it depends if you want to spend that extra 4k for the bit more fps. In my personal situation I wouldnt because I would take the 460 for physx as well as considering a 2nd one in the future, but thats my personal view.

DigitalDude said:
but according to the tomshardware review they were able to push the 6870 just buy 50mhz more.

_

Actually, yes, without voltage tweaking, 6870 is very miserly with OCing. Too bad I couldnt see any review site going into all that. :(
Zloyd said:
well lets consider a hypothetical situation , 11k 460 vs 15k 6870 , 460 does 50 fps and 6870 does 60 , now you oc both and their scores are 60 fps vs 67 fps , it depends if you want to spend that extra 4k for the bit more fps. In my personal situation I wouldnt because I would take the 460 for physx as well as considering a 2nd one in the future, but thats my personal view.
Yes, buying a normal GTX460 and doing OC by yourself would be best. But, the EVGA FTW doesnt look better than a normal 6870.

Zloyd said:
Then how abt buying a 6850 for say 9k cheaper than 460 and OCing it....

I see it as equal in most games

people tend to forget one thing.

Its not easy to get GTX460 to run at 900 odd Mhz.

Not every card will do that. And in Indian environment, without A/C even GTX 460 will heat up quiet a bit at those clock speeds. Even at 850Mhz, you it does hot up here where room temps easily go to high 20s and even 30s.

I am yet to experience HD6800 series first hand, but from the numbers on the web, it looks very strong against GTX460, stock or oced.

Then there are cards like ASUS DirectCU 6850 which have been proven to go beyond 1000Mhz core and still run perfectly fine on stock cooling.

It will be interesting to see its performance at that speed.

No MSI please

at least until they stop the practice of not properly cooling the memory VRM

Sapphire or Gigabyte or Powercolor only

after having switched from a 5850 to a 460 HAWK Talon Attack running @900Mhz i can see the difference in many games.. i was never really satisfied with the performance of my 5850 and i never got the results depicted in the reviews... driver and feature wise nvidia still has the upper hand. Many people may disregard physx but as of late many games are implementing it and it is somewhat of a bonus.

ubergeek said:
MSI HAWK 6850 Anyone?

ill buy these in a heart beat starting to save up so far i have pooled in 5k more 4k to go :D
i've already pooled around 9k:hap2: but dunno wat to get monitor or graphics card

currrently using 15' crt:mad: lol

There is worrying trend I am seeing with MSI HAWK and TFII series of cards.

Their samples sent to Reviewers are cherry picked ones. I know it first hand. The retail samples I bought never really lived upto the hype. And I am not alone. They were ordinary in terms of ocing. The only benefit was cooling. But max clocks were same or worse than reference cards.

Coming to performance between say oced 460 and stock 5850 or oced 5850. Half the times, the marginal noticeable difference between two equivalent cards depends on mental perception of performance by the user. Our mind plays tricks on us :p It wants to believe we really got something better than our previous hardware. But many times, its not the case.

And like I said many times before. If you really want to enjoy full fledged PhysX experience, you need dedicated physx card. 460 class cards or even 470 is not enough to give butter smooth performance with Physx enabled in current games that has physx implemented at 1200P and 1080P. The problem is, you need something like GTS 450 for perfect PhysX setup.

Keeping my fingers crossed for pricing in India. Lately many products have been priced in India similar to what they have been priced in US. Don't be surprised if you see prices on par with international pricing. :p

AMD is always screwing with naming scheme.

They did it by dropping ATI brand.

Now they have named new barts as 6870 and 6850 which have lower performance than cypress 5870 and 5850 respectively. This kinda make casual buyer think as if 6870 is the best card out there. Don't take it wrong, coz everybody don't look at reviews before buying.

I'm sort of surprised that nobody is seeing AMD's endgame with the new naming.

There is a very valid and logical reason behind the new naming change for Radeon cards... if you notice, AMD is not going to introduce 6700 series cards, at least none are mentioned in roadmap. But current 5700 cards will still continue. So AMD's Radeon lineup is going to look something like this....

Top end (Dual GPU): Antilles (6990 or 6970X2 probably?)

Top end (Single GPU): Cayman (6970 & 6950 - effectively successor to current 5870 and 5850 respectively)

Mid-high end: Barts (6870 & 6850 - effectively successor to current 5770 and 5750 respectively)

Mid-low end: Juniper (current 5770 and 5750, maybe sometime in future this area will be filled with same generation chips with HD7000 series)

Now the low end spectrum and entry level spectrum is eventually going to die down. Why? what will replace it? Simple... AMD's fusion chips. Top-tier Fusions chips are going to offer you 5600-like performance with on-processor GPU. Onboard GPU's have huge market compared to low-end discreet GPUs and AMD needs the fusion GPUs to align properly with current GPU offerings so the naming change/shift was required to achieve that. I think the new naming convention will come full circle with HD7000 series where all market segments from Top End to Mid-low End will be occupied with same generation chip along with fusion chips also using HD7000 architecture.

While I agree, that for most of the end user this is going to create confusion... and for some folks even bit of disappointment (when they find that 6870 isn't faster than 5870). I think, AMD should have launched the Barts and Cayman SKUs with even smaller time gap but then again from sales perspective AMD would have wanted to 6800/Barts cards to achieve enough sales momentum. Also, probably to generate enough speculations about Cayman's performance. It's a good marketing nevertheless, even if it's slightly deceiving.

On a totally unrelated note, I miss that old bat-mobile shaped shroud present in the 5870/5850 cards. It used to lend that card that ooomph look! :p

The newer ones looks like a dabba! :|

I'm waiting for the Caymans now! ^_^

ronnie 6850 is 11k not 9k so for about the same price you would rather go with the 460, it depends on your preference I would choose the 460 for its extra features and I believe driver support will be better with it. All cards wont do 900 on stock volts but really most cards should do 800 which is a good upgrade from the stock 675. After looking at all the charts again really 6870 460 6850 all more or less the same, like shripad said whatever performance difference you percieve will be in your own head mostly. Now if the 470 became available here for 15k that would be the best buy imo.

Back