Graphic Cards 6850 and 6870 reviews

iGo said:
I'm sort of surprised that nobody is seeing AMD's endgame with the new naming.

There is a very valid and logical reason behind the new naming change for Radeon cards... if you notice, AMD is not going to introduce 6700 series cards, at least none are mentioned in roadmap. But current 5700 cards will still continue. So AMD's Radeon lineup is going to look something like this....

Top end (Dual GPU): Antilles (6990 or 6970X2 probably?)
Top end (Single GPU): Cayman (6970 & 6950 - effectively successor to current 5870 and 5850 respectively)
Mid-high end: Barts (6870 & 6850 - effectively successor to current 5770 and 5750 respectively)
Mid-low end: Juniper (current 5770 and 5750, maybe sometime in future this area will be filled with same generation chips with HD7000 series)

Now the low end spectrum and entry level spectrum is eventually going to die down. Why? what will replace it? Simple... AMD's fusion chips. Top-tier Fusions chips are going to offer you 5600-like performance with on-processor GPU. Onboard GPU's have huge market compared to low-end discreet GPUs and AMD needs the fusion GPUs to align properly with current GPU offerings so the naming change/shift was required to achieve that. I think the new naming convention will come full circle with HD7000 series where all market segments from Top End to Mid-low End will be occupied with same generation chip along with fusion chips also using HD7000 architecture.

While I agree, that for most of the end user this is going to create confusion... and for some folks even bit of disappointment (when they find that 6870 isn't faster than 5870). I think, AMD should have launched the Barts and Cayman SKUs with even smaller time gap but then again from sales perspective AMD would have wanted to 6800/Barts cards to achieve enough sales momentum. Also, probably to generate enough speculations about Cayman's performance. It's a good marketing nevertheless, even if it's slightly deceiving.

IIRC, AMD had leaked Turks and Caicos codenames in Catalayst 10.8. These are thought to replace HD54xx/HD56xx as low end. Regarding Fusion chips to replace low end spectrum, i think quite opposite. AMD has to deliver discrete low end solutions to Intel platform owners, and that is quite a lot of market for them to offer discrete low end solution. for the reason they won't skip the discrete low end cards for the sake of having fusion exclusive for low end market. :)

I think there will be 67xx for this series and that will be about it. The naming change seems to have been prompted by helpless situation of Nvidia coupled with future Fusion performance goals by AMD. So they dont might not have wanted capable cards like 68x0 to be named as mainstream, mid budget x7xx or x6xx parts which might be equivalent to future Fusion chip performance bracket.

Who knows but it looks possible.

5870>6870>5850>6850

The 68XX series are marginally slower then their 58XX counterparts, but are much cheaper. 6850 is marginally faster then a gtx 460 1gb at stock speeds.

Back