8 Mbps From Airtel

SharekhaN said:
sir , if you dont plan to download heavy files , what is the difference between a 2 mbps connection and a 8 mbps connection :)

I trade the stock mkt, every bit of faster response from the oder server counts. If our system crashes, takes about 5 mins for it to get back online - if that could could be knocked to under a min, WOW .. we may need it just once a year, or never at all, but its there and that is what counts.

Also, I suspect, they would consider these as premium accounts and give a lil better attention then the mass accounts.

Comdey Circus and Laughter challenge 3 has ended na .. so these guys plan to maintain a continuity and wanna keep tickling our funny bones.. thats hw u reason out with sch plans..

I dunno whos the big Idiot who decides upon all these plans ...

ppl in countries are getting behemoth connections with speeds good enuf to break the neck of our poorly fed connections and then this board of No Good men get these plans out cuz they know they have a monopoly ..

Wots that well covered and reg celebrity show cause jogger Anil Ambani doing for the sake of providing competition to the likes of Airtel/bsnl ?

i guess every one wants their share of the indian sweet melon (read ppl like us who want to have a decent virtual roads if we cant have the real asphalt ones...)

And one more thing with all these isp's.....none of them have proper availabitlity in any of the cities!!

You'll always find the so called big nationwide isp's dont provide service in your neighbourhood!!

And then they have the nerve to come up with the most stupid tariff plans.....these guys shld be whipped in public!!

"Tariff plans and product offerings are also being worked out to enable customers, who do not want a 24-hour eight mpbs speed but want them for certain applications or a short duration of time, to avail the new offering. "

airtel guys r smart enof to make this point :mad: :mad:

TheIndian said:
I trade the stock mkt, every bit of faster response from the oder server counts. If our system crashes, takes about 5 mins for it to get back online - if that could could be knocked to under a min, WOW .. we may need it just once a year, or never at all, but its there and that is what counts.

Also, I suspect, they would consider these as premium accounts and give a lil better attention then the mass accounts.

can you explain how a system can crash with a slow internet connection:eek:hyeah:

Roxtin said:
As of now I am using Airtel 128kbps Unlimited for 700/- what would be a better upgrade: Airtel 256 unlimited for 999 or BSNL 2mbps for around same cost??

BSNL sux in terms of customer care and tech issues in Delhi and NCR

BSNL doesnt give 2 mbps for the same cost.

One 2 mbps plan costs 250/- and has a download limit of 1 GB. The other for 500/- has a download limit of 2.5 GB. But the 500/- plan has night unlimited. whatever you download between 2 am and 8 am isnt counted towards your monthly limit.

You have to make sure you restart your modem at 2 am and restart it again at 8 am.

I would still stick to airtel 256 kbps for 999/-. Decent customer service and very less downtimes.

6pack said:
i hope BSNL counters this with a 10mbps UL plan!!

BSNL's current Infrastructure limits them from going above 8Mbit. 10Mbit ADSL requires ADSL2+ technology (since ADSL2+ can go to 24Mbit)

Key Objectives
  • To provide high speed Internet connectivity (upto 8 Mbps)

Taken from BSNL's site.

Hacker said:
It will lower their profit margin, more data you download, more they have to pay to their isp.

Is that true? I was under the impression these guys just paid a flat rate based on bandwidth (and not data usage) to whoever they lease the backbone connection from.

Putting data limits on end users might be a way of extracting more from the same amount of bandwidth though.

BSNL's current Infrastructure limits them from going above 8Mbit. 10Mbit ADSL requires ADSL2+ technology (since ADSL2+ can go to 24Mbit)

LOL BSNL is ADSL2 + only if u didn't knew.

ITU G.992.5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote frm the link

India

India has an indicative 50 million wireline connections which are likely to grow to 500 million over the next six years because of liberalisation and privatisation. India is a fast growing telecom market, adding 8 million telephony subscribers each month (in 2007). Wireline services are provided by the incumbents (MTNL and BSNL) and the new private sector players (Airtel, Tata, Reliance, Shyam and HFCL). In addition India has ISPs like VSNL and You Telecom. [BSNL][12] offers ADSL2+ Broadband under brand name DataOne with speeds up to 8 Mbps Download. MTNL offers ADSL2+ Broadband under the Triband brand name.

You have to make sure you restart your modem at 2 am and restart it again at 8 am.

No restarts required...that issue has been fixed months ago :)

Supra said:
LOL BSNL is ADSL2 + only if u didn't knew.

Some information about line Attenuation on wikipedia

Beyond the 8Mbit/s ISP Cap

Most people believe ADSL1 (G.DMT) can only achieve a maximum throughput of 8Mbit/s, this is indeed false. If a users Line Attenuation is less than 30dB they can achieve more. Attenuation around 15dB Allows for the full 12Mbit/s Sync Rate.

Bsnl is using G.DMT which means it is ADSL1

even BSnl says so

SmartAX 882 ADSL Modem Configuration

also i tried connecting with other interfaces but failed here my D-link only connect with G.DMT, may be thier network may be capable of more but now they are using on ADSL only

Guys are you not getting this?

Airtel's strategy is now to steer clear of heavy downloaders like us. They are now targeting casual surfers/chatters who want high speed access for short durations like while doing video conferencing or watching online videos.

Effectively they are targeting high-paid executives who rarely get time to access internet at home but still want always available internet for email access and video chats with clients etc.

This is a well thought out strategy. Dont be mistaken that Airtel people are foolish. Their goal is to earn maximum profits from minimum bandwith. They are also succeeding at that.

Back