OC & Modding 980X + Gigabyte x58 UD9/Classified E760 + MSI 480 GTX SLI + Dragon F1 EE/Harshal Pot

thebanik

Skilled
So we had a E overclocking meet of sorts at my home last saturday with Kid0man, Shatter and HarryNeoPotter with Javed coming in for an hour or two for a friendly visit, :D

The hardware at our disposal was :

1. Intel Extreme Edition i7 980X 3.33 Ghz 6 Core CPU

2. Gigabyte x58 UD9

3. EVGA Classified 760

4. Gskill Trident 1600CL6

5. 2 x MSI 480 GTX 1536 MB SLI

6. CoolerMaster Benchtable (graciously sponsored)

7. CoolerMaster Silent Power Pro N 1000W
8. Dell E2408
9. Dragon F1 EE

Thanks to SMC Intl (Mr Saini) for graciously helping us put this event/meet together. Thanks to CoolerMaster for showing interest in the event by allowing us to use the CoolerMaster Bench Lab and Silent Pro 1000W for running the show!

With all that hardware we were certainly hoping for amazing results but sadly our PSU didnt agree with that. Had a lot of problem with the EVGA Classified Motherboard, PSU and Delhi heat, still we had to move on. Though it was also because we were completely new to the setup. Neither of us had a chance to overclock the 980X, and the boards earlier.

Silent Power Pro 1000W was certainly underpowered to run such an overclocked system. We tried connecting another Real Power Pro 850W system but we were not applying our brains and it was not in series with the 1000W PSU, this made the EVGA classified getting stuck at FF code in the beginning it self(which can mean the CPU or the mobo is going bad). So we took out the classified and tried getting familiar with the Gigabyte x58 UD9.

UD9 is an awesome board and the latest F2 bios seemed to be great. With 7 PCIe slots (supporting 4 x CF/SLI), SATA 6GBPS and USB3.0 this board has everything an enthusiast can ask for and a bit more. Within 30 minutes we were confident about the board and put it under LN2 though again with the single 1000W PSU. The beauty of this board was that almost everything except for Vcore, Vtt, Vdimm and IOH were at auto and still we were able to reach around 5.6Ghz with it.

Our MSI 480GTX were pretty good too and overclocked as good as any other 480GTX card.

So below you see the SLI runs we got on the UD9, sadly my insulation job on the board was a quick one, and it seems that the board is dead since we saw some sparks coming out of the board as soon as we were able to complete the below runs. :no: (but I guess that sort of a part and parcel of this hobby, :()

And the results we got from the session, all SLI results :

3d Mark Vantage : 39517

attachment.php

3d Mark 06 : 35816

3d Mark 05 : 45334

3d Mark 03 : 156962

We had to end the session quite abruptly due to our next days plans. But I had around 5 litres of LN2 left in my dewar and went on to bench alone a couple of days later, these results were got on the Classified but only after I had a couple of days to figure out the settings. Still need more time with the board to understand it completely

Super Pi 1M - 7.363s

Single 480GTX Scores

3dMark 06 - 33918

3dMark 05 - 45064

3dMark 03 - 104068

And a thread with LN2 results but no frost pics, nah as they say pics or it didnt happen, :p

Re: 980X + Gigabyte x58 UD9/Classified E760 + MSI 480 GTX SLI + Dragon F1 EE/Harshal

those are some very good numbers & some awesome hardware.

Re: 980X + Gigabyte x58 UD9/Classified E760 + MSI 480 GTX SLI + Dragon F1 EE/Harshal

Wonderful results, I envy those who were there to see it happen live. Also 7.363s for a 1M run, holy shit!

And sorry for your board.

EDIT : AAAAh, can't rep you.

Awesome board/CPU and some great scores. Pity the board died though :(
Good luck for future sessions! ^__^

some great numbers there, really has inspired me to go dice. but what did you use for insulation?neoprene?

OMG can't believe that great board died. EVGA wouldn't RMA that would they?

Those kingpin pots are great aren't they!

Thanks Storm and damn...

Amien said:
Awesome board/CPU and some great scores. Pity the board died though :(

Good luck for future sessions! ^__^

Yup all the hardware was carefully selected, :), and thanks but they definitely are not the last of the season, scores will be going up from here on. :)
adizz said:
some great numbers there, really has inspired me to go dice. but what did you use for insulation?neoprene?

OMG can't believe that great board died. EVGA wouldn't RMA that would they?

Those kingpin pots are great aren't they!
Yup Neoprene, its not the EVGA that died but Gigabyte x58 UD9, another amazing Top-End board with great features....

Yup ofcourse the Pot is good, no doubt about that

:p lucky guy, he gets to use the best hardware available :)

^Chill! All he meant was not everyone in the planet is lucky enough to play with such high-end hardware and sub-zero cooling. Did he mention anywhere in the post that you did not pay for it?

Desecrator said:
^Chill! All he meant was not everyone in the planet is lucky enough to play with such high-end hardware and sub-zero cooling. Did he mention anywhere in the post that you did not pay for it?
I am chilled, did you see anywhere I was agitated, I was just making it clear, that almost about every big piece of hardware was paid for. I guess my lack of using smilies make it look like that?????

Back