PC Peripherals A Low budget Upgrade

Gaurish

ex-Mod
Hi,
Need your advice on platform change from current AMD 64 to something better but only problem is my budget is little less. here is my current Config:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ @2Ghz
1GB RAM
17" CRT
80+320GB HDDs
So I am just planning to change CPU+mobo+RAM+PSU. my requirements are:

* Basic desktop + Multimedia rig. most its used for browsing,torrents,Movies and sometimes for CPU intensive tasks like Transcoding
* Linux compatibility
* Support for newer OS like Win7(onboard gfx can do?)
* At this Point, I am not really looking at gaming use so I hope Onboard CPU would solve my purpose. but I may add a Gfx Card in future.

So I am thinking to switch to Intel LGA755 platform

* CPU: Thinking of buying a used C2d, something which has about 1yr warranty.
* Mobo:Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L: Rs2400/- new is so cheap, no point of buying used one:clap:
* RAM: 2GB Transcend New: 1200-1300/-
* PSU: generic 24pin 400w, should work for now as I am not needing any extra power for GPU. new one for about 500 bucks

so it works out as
Mobo: 2400/-
RAM: 1200/-
PSU: 500/-
CPU: no idea what I should buy, please suggest. currently in talk for E6300 with a TE member. should it solve my purpose? or any other chip? also tell its priced in second hand market

Total: Rs4800/- without CPU and My old system would surely fetch me about Rs4k.

so what you say people? is it a smart upgrade?

E6300 is quite old and not such a great performer anyway. Better to go for some newer proccys if ur intention is an upgrade..maybe a E5200/5300 or something (not much idea).

BTW what's the purpose of the upgrade? Just for the heck of it, I guess :)

The RAM module died. plus the chipset that powers my Mobo is not linux friendly. lot of driver problems. added to it, I wanted to Switch to Win7 from XP.my current rig won't handle win7 I hope its a good reason for a upgrade :p

later on, I do plan to buy a LCD display and GPU;)

^ Yeah, it should be a decent upgrade.
Both the CPU/Mobo are pretty cheap as well, so you won't feel as much of a pinch when you want something better in the future.

now,

I am thinking of buying following

A) CPU #Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775 --- Rs3400/-

B) Mobo #GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L Intel Micro ATX --- Rs2400/-

C) RAM: 1 x 2GB Transcend 800Mhz -- Rs1250/-

Total(A+B+C) = Rs7050/-

this board and E5200 seems to be good Overclocker combo.people have OCed it to 3GHZ stable. so I guess it should not be slow.

what you guys say?

Gaurish said:
now,
I am thinking of buying following

A) CPU #Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775 --- Rs3400/-
B) Mobo #GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L Intel Micro ATX --- Rs2400/-

Total(A+B+C) = Rs7050/-

this board and E5200 seems to be good Overclocker combo.people have OCed it to 3GHZ stable. so I guess it should not be slow.

what you guys say?

+1. Go for ths. Its the best low budget upgrade. But i am afraid the the RAM have goen up likely and the 2 GB DDRII RAM costs 1.4-1.5k. you can also consider this combo
AMD athlon II 240-3.2k
biostar 785GE-3.2k
Very good IGP and costs only a tad more than the Intel combo and beats the intel when it comes to combo value.

Gaurish said:

Errrm Gaurish are you sure of this rate? Cos last I checked I got a quote of 1575 shipped for the same stick.

RAM rates might as well have increased. If you manage to find one at that rate, please pass one to me. :)

Besides my friend is going for the Athlon II X2 240 and the Biostar 785G combo.

Yeah, the best low budget VFM combo is Athlon II X2 240 + Biostar TA785GE . If you still manage it tough in your budget, then get a Gigabyte nVIDIA chipset based AM3 CPU ready mobo ( a new one costed 2100/- to my friend recently ). Kindly tell us your total budget so that we can work out something better. :)

Hi,

I am not considering Athlon II X2 240 and the Biostar 785G combo because support for ATI IGP sucks big time on linux(Catalyst driver is buggy). whereas Intel and Nvidia works without any problems. Also, I have been AMD owner for 4years now and I am not happy with the AMD cpus. so switching to intel.

second, about the RAM. I am not sure about pricing. I just made a guess work by checking deltapages.com maybe you guys are right, I may have to shell more.

as my budget is concerned I don't have a fixed budget but It should low cost.

^^Thats bs :| ATI works as good as nvidia if not better. It might be a bit later in delivering technology to linux but it does work with all Blue Ray and all :)

Intel 775 is dead no upgradibility options later add to that AII beats E5300.

Also, I have been AMD owner for 4years now and I am not happy with the AMD cpus. so switching to intel.

That is why you need to buy a new AMD processor and see the difference. Dude, I just moved to AMD from Intel 2 months ago.

I am not considering Athlon II X2 240 and the Biostar 785G combo because support for ATI IGP sucks big time on linux(Catalyst driver is buggy)
Pure :bshit:

I've been a linux user for 3 yrs+. My previous intel original mobo had ATI x200 IGP. And the current IGP is RS780D(790GX) besides my graphic card is ATI 4770. No problem so far. :)

Dark Star said:
^^Thats bs :| ATI works as good as nvidia if not better. It might be a bit later in delivering technology to linux but it does work with all Blue Ray and all :)

I agree with darky's ATI performance in Linux and no doubt buying LGA775 based system considering an update is not good idea, better end with Athlon II+ with 780/790 chipset based MB.

Dark Star said:

I had a perception that proprietary driver sucks big time. they are buggy drivers and slow development.I tend to be on latest bleeding edge software like kernel2.6.30(archlinux:p) so Its a bummer if manufacturer is slow in releasing drivers.

So, ATI Radeon HD 4200 works without any problems in Linux? if yes, then which driver that we should use?

Agreed. there are no problems with driver support for Zotac 785GE in Linux.

But Why should I choose AMD Athlon II + 785G chipset over Intel E5200+G31 chipset ? what advantages does it offer me over intel based solutio? also amd based platform is costing me more than intel one, so it is worth its extra price?

also, is is AM2+ or AM3 sockets? and how can a same mobo support two different socket at same time(from sockets I assume no of cpu pins will be different)

lastly, do I need a after-market cooler or stock HSF supplied with a the CPU is fine? I had a bad experience with my current one, it used to overheat alot.

The cooler that comes with the athlon II x2 is good. Someone got to 3.3GHz on it. He could have gone higher but the ram didn't let him.

if u will oc then get E5300 + g31 , if not then go with A II 240 .

G31 + E5200 easy goes upto 3.8 4ghz on Giga G31 while AMD 240 wont go past 3.4-3.5ghz stable , also it will be slower clock to clock .

if people are comparing IGP , it adds 1.6k to the price also . means he can get G31 + 8400gs / 4350 which will be much faster than the IGP .

Back