A noob's guide on buying consoles!

@ShawnZer,just get the PS3,the amount and quality of exclusives for the PS3 spank those available for the 360(halo,gears,and forza?way to go microsoft).really SO many are available,like: heavy rain,infamous series,gow series,uc series,resistance series,mgs4,gt5,killzone series,r&c,LBP series,motorstorm....,and it's still getting great exclusives like TLOU and Beyond 2 souls and gow ascension....after saying that you wanna play exclusives,if you buy a xbox, you will be committing gaming suicide in the major third degree.

Last edited by a moderator:
xbox o ps3 or wait for their new products.urgent

hello guys.out am die hard pc gamers but now I want to try any console.I have read so much for both and finally made my mind for xbox 360.then I read newer version of Xbox coming in October.so my question is is out good move to buy new xbox our ps or wait for the upgraded one in next October.I am really confused and really worried about Microsoft policy for second hand game

It all depends on how big your wallet is. If you are willing to shell out a premium that launch consoles command and also stomach the $60 game price for each copy and also do with limited launch titles for year or so. Then you can go with the PS4 or the nextBox.

If you are unwilling to do so and want to enjoy the huge catalouge of games that never made it to the PC, then going for the PS3/Xb makes sense since the second hand copies are going for cheap and it will keep you properly entertained for another 2 years with all major releases taking place atleast for another 1-2 years

Buying ps3 over xbobx make more sense because some exclusive of xbobx 360 are also for pc and ps3 have very high number of exclusive . 2013 is also looking good for ps3 when games like beyond 2 souls , last of us , god of war 3 is releasing .
And are you sure that you will be able to put 60$ for gold membership? If yes then you can get any of the two !

There are certain games for both PS3 and XBOX 360 which are not on PC. Like Gears of war/Halo are just on Xbox 360. Uncharted/God of war/Killzone are on PS3 only. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend.
PS - I have a PS3/Xbox 360 and a gaming PC too. Gamer is a gamer and not bound to PC/Consoles/Handheld or Mobile.

Probably off-topic, but how much can I get for my Jtagged XBOX 360 (20 GB hard disk, 2 controllers, lot of games)? I want to know if it makes sense getting newer XBOX (and Kinect) by selling this or just upgrade my XBOX to latest firmware (and thereby losing jtag).

Depends on what make it is (xenon, zephyr, opus, falcon, jasper?), what JTAG is done on the console (the recent RGH or the older JTAG) and more importantly, how old the console is.

Why exactly are you planning to do the switch to the slims? To play Kinect based titles and/or go online?

Depends on what make it is (xenon, zephyr, opus, falcon, jasper?), what JTAG is done on the console (the recent RGH or the older JTAG) and more importantly, how old the console is.

Why exactly are you planning to do the switch to the slims? To play Kinect based titles and/or go online?

I am pretty much a noob when it comes to consoles. This XBOX is around 4-4.5 years old. How do I find out the make? I remember that this is a very old model (the early batch which was prone to RROD but when I got it Jtagged, the guy who did it also applied a preventive fix of some sorts for this issue and I have never had this RROD issue). Basically, I have spent a lot of money on getting it modded (and then Jtagged: it is the older Jtag I guess and it can run the games from hard-disk).These days I am trying to do away with piracy as much as I can and I want to do everything the legal way. Basically, I am kinda trying to figure out if I can get a new XBOX by selling this Jtagged one without spending a lot of money.

I am pretty much a noob when it comes to consoles. This XBOX is around 4-4.5 years old. How do I find out the make? I remember that this is a very old model (the early batch which was prone to RROD but when I got it Jtagged, the guy who did it also applied a preventive fix of some sorts for this issue and I have never had this RROD issue). Basically, I have spent a lot of money on getting it modded (and then Jtagged: it is the older Jtag I guess and it can run the games from hard-disk).These days I am trying to do away with piracy as much as I can and I want to do everything the legal way. Basically, I am kinda trying to figure out if I can get a new XBOX by selling this Jtagged one without spending a lot of money.

Here is a link which may help you to identify what console is yours - http://www.repairmy360.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/xbox-360-psu.jpg

Either way, yours seem to be one of the older phats i.e. not Jasper since Jaspers were not prone or less prone to RRODs.

And if your console has never had an instance of overheating/impromptu shutdowns/RRODs before, it can fetch a decent price since it is JTAG'd. Something in the order of 7~8k perhaps? A new slim 4GB console retails for about 14.5k odd on eBay. Use a coupon and you'd get it a bit cheaper. Good deal I'd say.

should i get ps3 12gb or 500gb?

will ps3 super slim play stuff from my WD USB 3.0 500GB HHD?

Please be a bit specific.

What content do you intend to play from the external hard drive? Games can only be installed i.e. some have mandatory installations that run into several GBs whereas most have a few MBs which is specified at the back of the disc cover.

The PS3 does NOT support .mkv formats OOTB. It does however play .m2ts, .mts, AVI, DivX, AVI, .mp4 etc.

Besides that, the PS3 only recognises a FAT32 formatted hard drive. It will not recognise NTFS drives.

^i intent to play only Movies and Music.
i can convert my .mkv files to .mp4 so thats not a problem
obviously,i will format my HDD in fat32[DOUBLEPOST=1363412974][/DOUBLEPOST]Also,i've read on various sites that the older ps3 slim couldn't recognize USB 3.0 drives,because either the ps3's USB ports couldn't provide enough power for the HDD or it simply couldn't recognize usb 3.0 drives due to different controller in the HDD

Hi All,
Lately, I am starting to think about having a console at home specially after realizing the fact that consoles indeed have an upper hand in new releases and also better games than pcs (I am a hardcore pc gamer and yet thinking of a console too)

I have no/less experience with console controllers. So I would also like to know the learning curve on the device.

And most importantly, PS4 is already being launched and may come in Q1 2014 in India (probably), is it a good idea to buy a PS3 now?? I am interested in a Move Kit alongside..

Also, I have seen some sites listing of PS3 320GB slim for 20K with move starter pack, is it a good deal or do I need the 500GB space?? I have also seen 12GB consoles, but will avoid it as the re-sale value may diminish a lot if I upgrade it to PS4 on a later stage.
Please advice me my best option in consoles for now.

Regards,
Rakesh

Move is total waste of time and money, forget about it.

Pick up a vanilla PS3 and you would be up and gaming in no time, as a gamer I don't think it will take you much time to adjust to the controller.

It's the best console of the generation( for me at least :p) go ahead and buy it, also with GTA5 on the corner, you can't go wrong.

My 2009 PS3 conked off a few months ago, so I bought a 320GB with Move for 14k off olx with 4 months warranty. I'd say the PS3 has a life of 2 years from now at least, so don't worry about not having games - plus there are tons of games already that you may want to catch up on.

Also, i_rock is right, Move is a waste. If you really want it, buy it from me!

Hi Ambar,

I am also planning to take the plunge into console gaming though through second hand buy.
Can you recommend points to take care while buying a second hand ps3 ?

Thanks

Back