A noob's guide on buying consoles!

Hey sorry mate for the late reply Actually I am not much frequent these days.:what?: I think you might have got the required answers from others guys.:)
Anyways I would like to say go for psn+ subscription you wont regret it. Sometimes they do give you awesome games for free which means 12gb version won't suffice unless you plan to download>play>delete.
However one downside (If you like multiplayer) is the point prabs has mentioned in his point no 2. For promoting the (early rushed for idiots) ps4 they can do such things.
Hope this helps.

@vyral_143 - @prabs has you covered regarding Playstation Plus Subscription. Only correction Cloud storage is 2 GB now I think.

Also, you can make do with a smaller HDD by just flagging the Free Instant Games when they are made available. (Flagging - Download and delete the download immediately) The Games gets marked as "Purchased" and gets Flagged as a download in your download list.

You can re-download the game anytime even after the Instant Game has been replaced with newer games next month. The download list is on the cloud so you can always back it up too. (Need to check).

Remember that for doing this you will still need an active PS+ subscription. It's not like the subscription has expired and you'll be able to re-download games which were free.

Also, PS+ service won't bring the latest games as Instant Games Collection (Free monthjly games). Don't expect Destiny to be free next month.

This month's games were Dead Space 3 and a couple more.

Last edited:
@quixand - I think @quan chi is talking about the 12GB PS3 Super slim model and not cloud storage. I haven't mentioned cloud storage space.

How do you backup the download list. Isn't the download list bound to your account? I can see the same list across PSP, PS3 and Vita. Only thing is I can download a game a PSP or Vita game on PS3 but not PS3 game on PSP or Vita or Vita game on PSP. If it is a PSOne classic it can be downloaded across the devices.

Also you need not initiate a download to purchase a game on the console.

Simply visit the online store from your PC and purchase the IGC games. The total charge is zero but saves the effort as the PSN store is sluggish at times.

Link - SEN Store

Last edited:
You misunderstood.

12GB super slim doesn't have enough space for monthly IGC downloads right?

You don't have to download and play the games and delete every month fearing the game will disappear after that month . Just flag the game by downloading and cancelling the download. Th game still gets added to the download list it can be re-downloaded any time even when the game has been moved from IGC list. Pretty standard. I do that too since I don't have a lot of space left on my 500 GB disk. Around 20-30 GB left. So I flag everything and download later to play.

In a nutshell not mandatory to play and delete immediately on smaller sized systems.

Download List is tied to one account therefore can be used to redownload any time.

I know you are aware of that I wrote for the newer members.

@quixand - Did you swap your PS3 HDD? I am thinking of swapping my 320 GB hdd with a 500 GB hdd.

How much time does backing up and restoring the HDD take considering my HDD is nearly full?

Mine was 160 GB backed up to a WD external & IIRC it took 8-10 hours (backup & restore). I also faced some issues while restoring it got stuck at 0% etc. I'd suggest bump up to 1 TB from 320 GB if you have content other than games.

@quixand - I thought 500 GB was max because 1 TB hdd was too fat to fit. 8-10 hours is a bit too extreme isn't it?

@Doc Holliday - No good flight sims out there. PC is your best bet. The flight games on these consoles are ACE Combat and Hawx which are arcade flight games.

No 1 TB gets recognized, I was suggested 750GB atleast by PS3 Blog hosts. And yeah 8-10 hrs is a bit longer than what was mentioned on the internet, but I'm just writing what I had faced. It was very very slow. I remember watching Game of Thrones entire season in one go and PS3 backup and restore happening in the background. I restored my 500GB with the 160GB from old HDD.

What should I buy...? I am. Big big fan of fifa series but also love God of war but Xbox one have better features in fifa.. What should I do? Will Xbox one satisfy my shooting games and fighting games need? And I will hey fifa but rest of the games I want to play offline.. Any way to do it?

Got a new PS3 500 GB bundle since I wanted to try out the PS3 exclusives from a long time. The current firmware version is 4.55 and its prompting me to update. Why should or should not I update this? I never play multiplayer games and not currently inclined to as well. It's not even allowing me to go to the PSN store without updating.
Apart from playing games, what else can I use this PS3 for? I tried the stock browser but found it pathetic. I intend to watch movies/TV shows using this but nothing happened when I plugged my usb hdd. It might be in NTFS format but I am not sure and will have to check it out. Anything else I need to do on my HDD or will it scan the videos by itself?

Got a new PS3 500 GB bundle since I wanted to try out the PS3 exclusives from a long time. The current firmware version is 4.55 and its prompting me to update. Why should or should not I update this? I never play multiplayer games and not currently inclined to as well. It's not even allowing me to go to the PSN store without updating.
Apart from playing games, what else can I use this PS3 for? I tried the stock browser but found it pathetic. I intend to watch movies/TV shows using this but nothing happened when I plugged my usb hdd. It might be in NTFS format but I am not sure and will have to check it out. Anything else I need to do on my HDD or will it scan the videos by itself?

Firmware update is required if you want to create/login to your PSN account. It also gives you access to PSN store. Apps like youtube can be downloaded through PSN store. Newer games will ship with new firmwares and if you buy a game which requires a higher firmware then you will have to update at that point.

PS3 is not compatible with NTFS. Try a hdd or flash drive in Fat32 format. It is a good media player but not all files play on it. mkv, ogm etc., extensions don't work on it. It will scan the drive for media on it's own.

I am a happy Xbox 360 owner. No funds for the Xbox One as for now, but the list of newly released great games makes me feel gutted I don't have the new console :( was wondering how much time do I have before they take all Xbox 360 games off the shelves :p

hope some are still subbed to this thread and have moved on to the new-gen bandwagon.

i and a friend are contemplating buying PS4 this month, placing order on amazon US, getting the consoles shipped to his cousin's address who would then get them to us later this month. i have some queries on that (newbie regarding new-gen consoles)....hopefully someone would read and answer:

1. i hope its not very uncomfortable to carry 2 PS4 consoles from US to India (lone traveller i think, but unconfirmed)?

2. is it needed to declare these items at Mumbai airport?

3. the consoles would cost us ~21k each this way, albeit obviously w/o any warranty. i have read some articles on PS4 v/s XB1; didn't come across mention of anything about any issues with the PS4. hope i am correct, and getting this console w/o warranty would be fine?

4. should we wait? any indication of prices to come down further in the US, esp. this being the xmas season?

TIA!

3. the consoles would cost us ~21k each this way, albeit obviously w/o any warranty. i have read some articles on PS4 v/s XB1; didn't come across mention of anything about any issues with the PS4. hope i am correct, and getting this console w/o warranty would be fine?

It's an electronic product, so a defect can arise at any point. As for known defects, there aren't any major critical issues which are currently plaguing either consoles. Eventually, you'll have to weigh out the price difference you're getting for a console minus a years warranty and if you feel it's justified, then by all means go for it.

I got mine this September from Ebay which is a US import as well. There was an easy 10k difference and I didn't mind one bit. For my PS3, I had spent Rs.750/- for an additional 2 year extended Croma warranty which went to waste as the console is still going strong after 6 years. So I decided to risk it this time.

4. should we wait? any indication of prices to come down further in the US, esp. this being the xmas season?

It's already 300$ in the US for the holiday season: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/12/06/playstation-4-sees-us-price-drop-for-holidays/

No other major price drop is expected. So yes, this is a pretty good deal.

Will the price remain at 300$ post holiday season? Also I read that the price drop is on the older models in India while they are in stock.

I bought myself an XBOX one recently - bought it for Rs 29K from Snapdeal plus they made a goof up and gave me the Fifa 16 as free game instead of GOW so got another 3K back. Not a bad deal at 26K I would say. I bought it primarily for Forza though I would be playing other games too.

Back