A noob's guide on buying consoles!

could anyone pls tell if i get the console (PS4) from dubai duty-free, would it attract any customs at Mumbai airport? i read that they levy tax on imported items if the purchase-value exceeds INR 25 or 35k (tax on the exceeding amount). PS4's price would be well below the latter figure.

also, i have an empty (hand)bag with me which i could use to keep the PS4 in (with or without box). pls suggest soon as the purchase would be made the day after tomorrow. TIA!

Last edited:
could anyone pls tell if i get the console (PS4) from dubai duty-free, would it attract any customs at Mumbai airport? i read that they levy tax on imported items if the purchase-value exceeds INR 25 or 35k (tax on the exceeding amount). PS4's price would be well below the latter figure.

also, i have an empty (hand)bag with me which i could use to keep the PS4 in (with or without box). pls suggest soon as the purchase would be made the day after tomorrow. TIA!
My uncle got one for me from Dubai, and he didn't pay any customs. Just make sure that the box isn't sealed. And make the box a bit damagy so that it looks old.

My uncle got one for me from Dubai, and he didn't pay any customs. Just make sure that the box isn't sealed. And make the box a bit damagy so that it looks old.

thx! customs won't be payable as the amt is less than 35k. but then why the concern with the box/packing? cant understand that.

I didn't want to take any risk with customs, so I asked my uncle to do that [emoji14] Maybe its not required. BTW, I purchased a monitor worth 12k from China and I was charged 1.7k customs even after the seller undervalued to $100.

Last month, my uncle got an LED TV worth 23k while coming from Saudi. He was charged customs worth 4-5k

@suarezian - alright. i recall about your monitor-purchase. flat panel TVs are not exempted from duty allowance, hence you & your uncle had to pay tax.

also, an update - the allowance has been increased to a limit of 45k from earlier 35k.

now another thing thats worrying me is, i read ppl complaining about defective phones, tabs, etc. being sold in DDF electronics shops. so now if anyone knows the price of PS4 in Mumbai duty-free (if available), pls tell me. :p

ok so the update is that I didn't buy PS4 from Dubai airport. the 500GB console there had gone OOS, and the 1TB one (which I was not interested to buy in the first place) was selling for about 28.5k.

Mumbai airport duty-free doesn't have PS4. they don't have any electronic item itself for sale. they just recently got some Bose speakers which they are mulling which shelf to keep them on!

I used to charge my controller using USBs on my computer. It's certainly possible.
Yeah. This can be done after disabling the device driver for the controller.[DOUBLEPOST=1461059476][/DOUBLEPOST]
I used to charge my controller using USBs on my computer. It's certainly possible.
Yeah. This can be done after disabling the device driver for the controller.

Last edited:
Thats sad. Now a days, prices are cheaper offline. Friend also bought 8GB kingston hyper x ram for 2.5k when it was selling for more in online stores

I will be getting a pS4 Pro in Nov. that would be my first console. I would like to ask few questions about disc vs digital games
1. How durable is the disc based game? What happens if the console damages the disc without external force? Anyone faced any damage to disc over extended play or repeated runs of a game over long time?
2. HOw loud is the PS4 with disc vs without disc?

TIA

Noise Shouldn't be an issue.

AAA titles like FIFA, Batman, Uncharted would take up at least 40GB each. Just keep that in mind and get the correct storage version.

There is a good used discs market. And if you are patient digital downloads come with a discount.

Back