Budget 51-70k A PC for Video cutting and Basic editing

soulweaver

Nice is Free
Patron
My friend has taken over the charge of a news studio and looking to get systems that can edit (capturing and trimming) videos to be uploaded to YouTube. Most videos will be no greater than 1080p with the occasional 4k. He is happy buying used. I have made a few purchases for him here as @powervgx and @dash2009 can confirm.

He is looking for about 8 units of these.

The budget is not set in stone.

I am looking at suggestions for the same. Something that does not break the bank and yet hold for three years. @ibose @Slayer88 @Slayer69 @nRiTeCh @bssunilreddy @Kratos47 @vishalrao any inputs that you can give?

Thank you!

My friend has taken over the charge of a news studio and looking to get systems that can edit (capturing and trimming) videos to be uploaded to YouTube. Most videos will be no greater than 1080p with the occasional 4k. He is happy buying used. I have made a few purchases for him here as @powervgx and @dash2009 can confirm.

I am looking at suggestions for the same. Something that does not break the bank and yet hold for three years. @ibose @Slayer88 @Slayer69 @nRiTeCh @bssunilreddy @Kratos47 @vishalrao any inputs that you can give?

Thank you!
Can you share what's already been bought?

Just a thought... Spend more on maybe one or two higher end config PCs and remaining can be modest configs?

I'm not well versed in audio video media production software or workflows but was thinking the smaller PCs can be used for less heavy tasks like video capture and the higher end PC can be used for the major processing or editing work,?

Thank you!
Can you list down few applications related to his production so can suggest better configs based on the real usage rather than firing in the air!

Premiere pro is going to be the primary software.
Since you mention editing and that you don't want to break the bank, perhaps look for some Ryzen 9 3000 series. They're going cheap and are supposedly superb for the application your friend needs. Club that with 32gigs of ram and you should be sorted.

PS: I'm not very well versed with productivity workloads so I would reserve any further statements to avoid any miscommunication and ill advice. All the best to you and your friend, let us know how it works out.

@Slayer69 @Slayer88 are you both distant brothers...similar names..
Irone is that we both don't live that far away

He lives in Mumbai (guessing after checking his sale threads)
I live in Pune mostly

4491E4A9-AEF6-41AB-922A-0571830E8E05.png

Irone is that we both don't live that far away

He lives in Mumbai (guessing after checking his sale threads)
I live in Pune mostly

View attachment 163541
And i belong to both cities..hometown Mumbai and staying in Pune! :jimlad: so another irony..
Premiere pro is going to be the primary software.
Since no budget specified the following will serve his purpose utterly smooooth-
This will serve him for a longer run even in near future when he plans to run more resource intensive video editing applications.

Intel Core i5-13600K 30-32K
Asus ROG Strix B760-I Gaming WIFI Motherboard 24K
3080TI up to 1LAC
Gskill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 6400 15K
Cooler Master G800 Gold Power Supply - Non Modular 7.2k
Cooler Master MWE 850 Watt 80 Plus V2 Gold Fully Modular 9.8k

Rest, storage ssd/hdds, kb/mouse/case/monitors can be decided based on storage/screen size etc.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert but wouldn't it be more cost effective for the OP to get a Server Rack , possibly with GPU slots, and then have proxmox on it. Then just give every device a VM and a monitor.
The server rack would also allow them to have a storage array with redundancy and a pooled storage than buying multiple hard disks and then making redundancy on each individual computer.

I'm not an expert but wouldn't it be more cost effective for the OP to get a Server Rack , possibly with GPU slots, and then have proxmox on it. Then just give every device a VM and a monitor.
The server rack would also allow them to have a storage array with redundancy and a pooled storage than buying multiple hard disks and then making redundancy on each individual computer.
Isn't that a bit too complex for a basic workstation requirement ?

Isn't that a bit too complex for a basic workstation requirement ?

It is complex, especially the initial setup. But it will save costs for the OP + is extendable to more desktops at the cost of adding another monitor, and possibly graphic card.
It gets advantage as all the memory is also pooled, so nothing is being wasted, if one computer demands more, and there is spare memory in the pool, any computer can take advantage of it.
It also simplifies hardware management, one single place to keep clean / add storage / maintainance / power backup etc.
Their users could potentially queue render tasks and let them run overnight, and go home. And check the status of things via their Phone, if they've done the proper setup.

The possibilities are endless, but it sure requires the setup owner to be tech savvy + linux friendly or the presence of a system admin.

That'll never work. It's too complex. Consumer graphics cards don't support visualization. You'll have to buy A series graphics cards from Nvidia.

Nvidia locked virtualization to Quadro series cards only so passthrough is out of the board

GeForce GPU passthrough supports 1 virtual machine. SR-IOV is not supported on GeForce. If you want to enable multiple virtual machines to have direct access to a single GPU or want the GPU to be able to assign virtual functions to multiple virtual machines, you will need to use NVIDIA Tesla, Quadro, or RTX enterprise GPUs.

Source: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5173

Back