A question for UPS Owners

I use to keep my ups off but power outlet switch on.

Few times I noticed after powering on and switch my laptop and monitor ..if the lights go off
My ups would almost immediately turn off and everything connected to it.

So I guess I need to keep my UPS on too all the time.
I am traveling again for few weeks and will have to turn off and go so if the comments above are to go by that is bad idea too.

I use to keep my ups off but power outlet switch on.

Few times I noticed after powering on and switch my laptop and monitor ..if the lights go off

So I guess I need to keep my UPS on too all the time.
I am traveling again for few weeks and will have to turn off and go so if the comments above are to go by that is bad idea too.
I don't think the unit itself needs to be on, just the mains. That said, you might want to check your UPS for faults.

This indicates that the battery has used up its cycles and it is time to get a new one.
Just to make sure, leave the UPS's main supply on for at-least 15 hours and then connect a 100w bulb or some thing that will draw more than 50w.
Turn on the UPS and turn off the main switch, if the UPS stays on then the battery is good else it is time to get a new one.
Worth noticing is the time duration the UPS stays on while powering that lamp. A 50W lamp should be on for at-least 50 minutes before the battery runs dry.
I am assuming the UPS is powered by a single 12v 7AMPH battery.

I don't think the unit itself needs to be on, just the mains. That said, you might want to check your UPS for faults.

This indicates that the battery has used up its cycles and it is time to get a new one.
Just to make sure, leave the UPS's main supply on for at-least 15 hours and then connect a 100w bulb or some thing that will draw more than 50w.
Turn on the UPS and turn off the main switch, if the UPS stays on then the battery is good else it is time to get a new one.
Worth noticing is the time duration the UPS stays on while powering that lamp. A 50W lamp should be on for at-least 50 minutes before the battery runs dry.
I am assuming the UPS is powered by a single 12v 7AMPH battery.
Got it last year August and even then 1 or 2 months no use at all.

Lights went off again and monitor and laptop was on.
How long I did not try though.
On battery saver mode so how long should I expect of a laptop 200w and monitor 35W to be on ?

This is APC 600VA/360 Watt.

Is this your UPS?
There is a runtime and load graph in that page. As each UPS is manufactured differently it is best to refer to the manufacturer for runtime calculation.
Also unless your laptop is fully loaded(CPU+GPU) I don't think it will consume 200w that to on battery saver mode.

Is this your UPS?
There is a runtime and load graph in that page. As each UPS is manufactured differently it is best to refer to the manufacturer for runtime calculation.
Also unless your laptop is fully loaded(CPU+GPU) I don't think it will consume 200w that to on battery saver mode.
Thank you.
Running time It says 2min 30 sec for me.
Usually my laptop might be taking fully load as it is connected to 2k monitor
Plus gaming sometimes.

@solo_wing don't take that runtime as it is, the provided runtime is for new/perfect health battery. There are a couple of other variables that will come into play in day-to-day usage.
1. The battery condition, if the battery starts to deteriorate it will start losing capacity and wont hold full charge.
2. The battery charge percentage when the main power is cut, if the battery is at less then full capacity then it will provide even less runtime backup.
For 1, you have to change the battery, For 2, leave the ups main on all the time to have the battery at full capacity.
So always make sure your battery is at peak condition to get at-least the claimed runtime. If you suspect the battery is not holding full charge, take it to a battery shop they will charge it to capacity and test the battery with dummy load. It will help in identifying the battery condition more accurately.
I honestly don't know if display to a 2k monitor will need that much power from a laptop, but if it is then it is. Gaming is entirely different ;)

Back