A2 Ghee a scam?

My innumerable relatives do this, and most make a fatal mistake. Their one day's milk is not enough for sufficient ghee or butter, so they store that separated cream for days/weeks in the fridge. Then make butter out of it. Fresh cream's butter is awesome, within a week of storing the cream the butter literally gets bitter and smells awful. But just because it is "home made", they don't accept and keep eating and offering that "stale" butter. Even I don't criticize that butter strongly, out of politeness..

Even we used to do that, but only for making ghee. Butter we used to make from churning curd instead as suggested by Jmak. I prefer that type of 'white butter' which has that little curd taste over 'butter' made from cream. That's why I only used to have 'White Butter' at the farm, because at home, you never had enough milk to make that. However, the cream won't go bad for a week if stored properly in refrigerator (preferably below 4°C).
But you are right, people become accustomed to what they eat. Here, in my village, people overheat the Ghee, to minimize losses, leading to a burning taste or overcooked ghee, but they don't notice it because they are probably used to it.

Last edited:
Could it be that is the origin of the Indian cow being the best for health. It's another way to say buy Indian isn't it.
Quite the contrary

The origin of the marketing isn’t Indian. A company in NZ tried to promote a1 as harmful compared to a2. Even there was a book promoting a1. They are a listed global company with major markets including NZ and Australia

We will be the losers here. We need more milk at lower cost. That’s why we are using a1 milk for decades now. People replacing it with a2 just decreases cheaper milk availability.

There are a lot of organic food sellers selling A2 ghee now for 4-5x the regular ghee price. But A2 is a protein and Ghee does not have any protein so it makes no difference if ghee is made from A2 or A1 milk. According to this video Ghee is the best oil for cooking.
. Which oil do you use, there are also organic cold pressed oils which are said to be healthy. I will be using ghee for cooking now, which oil is recommended?
Sunflower oil

I grew up in a ghee free house because that's what people said.

As for healthy, pay attention to the smoke point. Ghee is high at 250, in fact higher than sunflower. Easy to use less stress.

Cold pressed includes organic material and will have a lower smoke point. This is where you have to be careful as if it smokes then it becomes carcinogenic.

I'm speaking from a gas hob pov. If you have fine grain control with induction and can prevent temperature going higher then ok. I don't know how that is possible though.

Better to have cold pressed anything raw.

I don't think i have to mention this but never reuse oil. Something one can't be assured of with restaurant food :confused:
Quite the contrary

The origin of the marketing isn’t Indian. A company in NZ tried to promote a1 as harmful compared to a2. Even there was a book promoting a1. They are a listed global company with major markets including NZ and Australia

We will be the losers here. We need more milk at lower cost. That’s why we are using a1 milk for decades now. People replacing it with a2 just decreases cheaper milk availability.
I've never understood why Aussies and Kiwis want to sell us milk . This is like trying to sell oil to the Saudis :D

I'm sure there is a market in Saudi for refined petro products.

Fine, the kiwis want more markets. I don't think they will be displacing local grown any time soon.

How much pushback there will be from local dairy farmers is to be seen.

I would think there isn't anything to be worried about when it comes to milk if a FTA comes through and there is a strong strategic interest to get it done.

Last edited:
I've never understood why Aussies and Kiwis want to sell us milk . This is like trying to sell oil to the Saudis :D

Fine, the kiwis want more markets. I don't think they will be displacing local grown any time soon.

How much pushback there will be from local dairy farmers is to be seen.

I would think there isn't anything to be worried about when it comes to milk if a FTA comes through and there is a strong strategic interest to get it done.
I never said or implied that the kiwis will try to sell milk here.
Just saying that the story wasnt invented by us . And that replacing one milk with another is bad for the country.

Just saying that the story wasnt invented by us . And that replacing one milk with another is bad for the country.
They've been trying for a long time. https://m.economictimes.com/news/ec...s-dairy-import-fears/articleshow/74368893.cms

In Namdhari's shops in Bangalore, I have regularly seen New Zealand butter, dozens of times more expensive than Indian one, of course.

In addition to displacing local milk, of which there isn't much risk, Indians don't like that other countries feed cows some mulch made out of dead cows/other animals. While it is rich in nutrients, especially an efficient source of calcium, Indians are unable to digest the idea.

It may or may not be true, but Indians' idea of what is to be fed to cows is surely not popular in other countries.

Not only Kiwis and Aussies, but even Europe and US have been trying to sell their milk products here. US sells milk products in China very successfully. India, despite being one of the largest producers of milk (due to the sheer number of cattle we have), doesn't have enough milk. Also, our eating habits are very different, where many of us, including me, will shun powdered milk and try to find fresh milk only, as it should be.
All these countries, produce way more milk and meat than they can consume, especially New Zealand and Australia. Also, due to no religious association of cows, these countries have worked on their genetics by culling most of the low producing animals and now they have very high production animals only. With the growth in veganism and dairy alternatives, plus the increase in production, these countries are facing losses in the dairy industry every year, which are then covered through government subsidies. So they are hell bent on finding alternative markets. Just last year, US could've made big inroads into India, when the Animal Husbandry ministry nearly allowed their entry if not for the ruckus created by the Indian dairy and poultry farmers. They will continue to face this resistance and if the recent past has taught us anything, it's difficult for any govt to get past our farmers. They might not have the money lobbying powers of the industry, but they have their own strength in unity.
European nations are the only ones going the smart and right route. They have ordered their dairy farmers to reduce their herd sizes in accordance to the demands. Netherlands, which is one of the biggest dairy producers have just passed this law/verdict, limiting milk production for every farm and to reduce that number in the coming years and to stop subsidizing excessive production from this year onwards.

My household is heavy consumer of Ghee. But there are hardly any nutritional value I see in Ghee. We just have it for taste. Better to have a multi-vitamin a day if some body is interested in improving their health.

Purpose of using Ghee is not its nutritional value but that its the least damaging cooking oil.
Ordered cow Ghee from country delight , looks good quality.
I noticed that the Ghee i was using is solid on room temprature but country delight Ghee was liquid.

That's ok. Kiwis will dump their milk in any trade deal that gets worked out in the future eg. RCEP

If they can come up with a story that A1 is bad and A2 is good then that will be their marketing plan.
In addition to displacing local milk, of which there isn't much risk, Indians don't like that other countries feed cows some mulch made out of dead cows/other animals. While it is rich in nutrients, especially an efficient source of calcium, Indians are unable to digest the idea.
They'll get around that the same way they did to sell meat to the gulf, all aussie & kiwi meat is halal

It will come with labels that indicate what the feed is if that is an issue.
With the growth in veganism and dairy alternatives, plus the increase in production, these countries are facing losses in the dairy industry every year, which are then covered through government subsidies. So they are hell bent on finding alternative markets.
Those vegans have pretty strong views when it comes to dairy like the only purpose of cow's milk is to help a calf to grow. It has no benefit for humans at all.

The milk industry started off after WW2 as a cheap source of nutrition and ended up becoming a staple. And it has powerful lobbies to keep people thinking that way.

I've had people tell me that milk is pointless and you should stop drinking it once you grow up. Even doctors. Those that do end up lactose intolerant.

I never stopped drinking milk and can get through a litre or more a day easy. It's a meal on its own. My preference is semi-skimmed cold.

I'm interested in trying out plant based milks. Presently milk works out to Rs.37/Litre delivered by Nandini.

Oats milk i can make at Rs.50/Litre. Other nut based milks like cashew, almond etc work out more expensive.

These will all be raw with enzymes intact. Better than store bought.

Last edited:
Even doctors.
I know a family which doesn’t take milk because of doctors advice. They vouch that it helped them.

I also know of a vegetarian who doesn’t take milk. He ended up having vision issues. The issue was diagnosed as one of nutrition. He wasn’t poor by any means and had good food habits

The vegan idea is noble. But you should have some professional advise or reliable circle.

A1 A2 etc might be just marketing BS to differentiate and justify higher prices.
Of course what matters is the diet that has been give to the cow/buffalo.
And the living conditions.

And which brings to the most important point that no one (not even the dairy farmers on this thread) seems to bring up - Antibiotics.
All livestock is pumped to hilt with antibiotics to increase their weight fast and eliminate infections (and therefore business losses).
These antibiotics are what lands up in your glass of milk / yoghurt / paneer etc and you really cant do anything about it.

These antibiotics are what lands up in your glass of milk / yoghurt / paneer etc and you really cant do anything about it.

Yes you can. You buy from modern ventures like mine. Try and find one in your vicinity.
It's a simple case of economics. A litre of milk costs a farmer anywhere from 22-25 bucks depending upon feed prices and their own management. The co-operatives buy milk at an average price of 28-30 bucks. After transporting and processing they sell the same milk at 55-60 bucks. So the farmer will sell the milk, even if the animal is undergoing antibiotic treatment. But ventures like mine, who sell milk or milk products directly to customer at 50-60 bucks, can afford to take that loss and that's what we do. Also, the animals are not given antibiotics for growth. Just like humans, antibiotics are given only when the animal is sick. What's more problematic is the use of hormones like oxytocin. Using oxytocin in emergency in recommended amount is not a problem, but like everything in India, including pesticides and insecticides in crops, farmers end up using these things in excess, mostly due to misinformation and overprescription by the companies selling those products.

If you can see the results then there has to be a basis isn't it. I think its important you substantiate that for everyone's benefit.

On a side note any health benefits are going to dissappear if any heating is involved. Enzymes don't like heat and are dead past 60 degrees C.

Vitamins and minerals survive but not enzymes which has the most disease fighting potential. There is a movement where people want to drink raw milk. But this can be dangerous unless proper procedures are followed. Raw here means unpasteurised which is illegal in many states in the US but people do what they want and if they have a source like a local farmer than that is where they will go.

As for ghee being healthy ? long ago the doctors here said it was high in unsaturated and not good for health. Cholesterol, clogged arteries bla bla.

Does it taste absolutely great. Yes. Does it make everything else it comes into contact also taste great. Hell yes :D

Presently we're in talks with the Aussies for a trade deal. They want to sell milk and we don't want that.

Could it be that is the origin of the Indian cow being the best for health. It's another way to say buy Indian isn't it.
As per this video in 1960s American heart association declared that butter/ghee saturated fats were bad for heart. It was funded by Procter and Gamble which invented vegetable oils which we use today. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...aced-animal-fats-in-the-american-diet/256155/
American companies have ****ed up the world, Coke, Mcdonalds, dominos, high yielding crops, GMO food, vegetable oil. We eat poison.

Last edited:
Both should ideally be solid, i thought it was odd that country delight was liquid. The old ghee is use is like wax. I checked again country delight has a thin liquid layer at the top and solid below. Dont know if its ok or bad, have never cared about ghee or cooking oils.
Some one else also posted about this on twitter

1645729380405.png

Both should ideally be solid, i thought it was odd that country delight was liquid. The old ghee is use is like wax. I checked again country delight has a thin liquid layer at the top and solid below. Dont know if its ok or bad, have never cared about ghee or cooking oils.
I see...I recently tried Milky mist's ghee (the one with red color bottle), however it has weird smell.
Till now I only liked ghee made from local shops (friends circle)...But I don't know which company's ghee is good..

1645729424954.png

I see...I recently tried Milky mist's ghee (the one with red color bottle), however it has weird smell.
Till now I only liked ghee made from local shops (friends circle)...But I don't know which company's ghee is good..
I am not an expert on ghee, i have always hated the smell of ghee. I like the smell of country delight in the bottle but dont like it when its used in cooking. I am now eating it as a medicine. I will try coconut oil soon.

Back