AC Compressor seems to be turning off frequently without adequate cooling

raksrules

Elite
I have Voltas 1 Ton split AC in my bedroom. Off late I have seen that the ACs compressor seem to be cutting off sooner than expected even when the room is not cool enough. We are currently using the turbo mode which I am guessing is fans on full speed all the time. I even have to lessen the temperature to 20 degrees. I am not sure what the issue with the AC is. I had got the gas recharged few months back so I don't think that getting less in such a less time may be an issue. This AC is just 2 years old.

Should I call someone from voltas to check or local ac repair guy or so? Btw almost every week I myself clean the filters of the AC unit so that is not an issue I know. Does the AC require that deep or chemical cleaning (the fins and all)?

Try in cooling mode decreasing the temps to 16 or 18c for 20-30mins. Ensure room is totally locked incl windows etc.
Probably gas top-up required.

You should get it checked, sounds like leakage or overheating and tripping before expected cooling is reached. No chemical cleaning is required as per my knowledge. Just regular wet servicing.
Also frosting on a couple copper pipes in the front fins is an indication of leakage or low gas.

I have a voltas 1 ton and had the same problem. The service guy changed the outer unit capacitor as he told that the capacitor has become weak and not able to sustain the continious running of the compressor. Mine is an old unit and did not see any pcb board in the outer unit. Maybe if your's is a couple of years old unit it may be different.

It could be due to various reasons.
Temperature sensor in ID unit is faulty, problem with outdoor pcb, if its a non inverter AC could be a bad capacitor.

Also the fact that you are filling gas in just 2 years, means it had a crappy installation.
If properly installed you don't need to fill gas for the life of the AC, until the pipes corrode, which depending the climate takes more then 10 years.

could corrode within 2-3 years if you have open sewage drain nearby your location.
Speaking from experience.
Its too early to corrode. The the coils and pipes give away when the moisture inside the system corrodes from within. While moisture outside plays a role, when the liquid line is hot the moisture evaporates. But when the moisture is within the system, it has no place to go and it starts corroding and when it mixes with oil the bearing will seize and finally, you hear things like AC exploding only happens in India and other unskilled countries. Moisture present in the system is responsible for AC exploding/fires.

Also when refrigerant leaks or the system is low of refrigerant, there will be frost forming on the lines, these again causes it to corrode faster.

Root of all problems is improper installation not using correct flaring tools, improper torque and most importantly not vacuuming the lines.

If a system is proper installed and removed when shifting you don't even need to fill refrigerant in the place where you are reinstalling it.( unless the new place needs longer pipes).

Now whom should I call to diagnose this issue? I don't really trust whoever will come as they may try to rip me off.
Same issue in my Voltas Window AC . Serivce Center came and resolved it last season
This season most of soldering disintegrated with parts of circuit and capacitors in my hand
Seems a known and qualityy control issue in Voltas ACs

Follow up on this. I called up Voltas Service and booked appointment for their personnel to come. He immediately told that my AC's blower is chocked. He opened the indoor unit and removed the thing that rolls inside and cleaned it in my bathroom using jet spray. I kid you not, he cleaned it for 10 minutes and continously black stuff (accumulated dust and such) kept coming outside. This thing has been removed from the AC for the first time since i bought the AC.
He additonally cleaned the external unit with water.
Now even at 24 degrees and no turbo mode, the AC is a chiller.

I was not sure but the regular service guys don't open the roller ever. I am going to not renew their contract and will call this Voltas guy (i got his number) say every 3-4 months to clean this entire thing.

Yep I completely forgot about this one on split ACs. If blower is choked then cooling near the coils and temp sensor will be faster and AC will trip even though the actual room temp is not cool.
This should be done at least once a year.

My Daikin ac fins also had ice formation and low cooling, it was not cleaned due to covid for two years, got servicing done two weeks back. Blower was clogged, now no ice and it cools like new.

Back