Activities that helped me manage my stress since the past year

I have been really struggling with my anxiety and stress has become an inescapable part of my life, especially since the past year which I’m sure most of you relate.. There are some activities that I have been indulging in to tackle stress and these are some that have really helped me so I’m sharing them here fo you all.

Meditation- I think any form of exercise also works. But for me, meditation has been great in calming my nerves and giving me much needed clarity of mind. Start with easy breathing exercises and work your way through. You will thank me.

Music- Music always helps. In any situation. At any moment. Except for when you have a headache, but even then soothing background music really helps.

Planting/Gardening- When you surround yourself with the greens you automatically feel like you can breathe easier. Nature’s own way of taking care of us, right? But yes, working with plants, soil and lots of seeds and water is something that greatly helps in ridding you of unwanted stress while also making your house and garden look beautiful. If you are a beginner, then some easy plants that you can start with can be:
  • Money Plants: They are practically weather-resistant, they make beautiful décor indoors and you don’t require to keep an excessively close look at them. Just water them two to three times a week and keep them on a shaded veranda or even indoors.
  • Tomato: These juicy red wonders require a lot of sunlight so it is best to place the planters on sunny window sills or a sun-soaked terrace. When they are newly planted, water it well and make sure the soil is moist for healthy growth of the fruits. When the temperatures increase, you may need to soak them twice a day.
  • Rubber Plants: The natural air purifiers or the rubber plants are one of the most commonly used indoor plants. As with most indoor plants, the rubber plant requires scant watering and would do well with just being sprinkled once or twice a week, depending on how hot the temperatures are. They should also be kept away from direct sunlight.
Hope this helps!

Exercise, meditation and calming song helps a lot...

Make sure fast growing indoor plants gets enough ventilation especially during night.
In nigh time, such plants absorb oxygen and a person sleeping in the room can get weird dreams, heart palpitation, etc. due to lack of oxygen in air. One of my friend got into this trouble, so thought of giving a heads up.

Exercise, meditation and calming song helps a lot...

Make sure fast growing indoor plants gets enough ventilation especially during night.
In nigh time, such plants absorb oxygen and a person sleeping in the room can get weird dreams, heart palpitation, etc. due to lack of oxygen in air. One of my friend got into this trouble, so thought of giving a heads up.
Thank you so much for the heads up!

How often have you found yourself so overwhelmed with your struggles that all you wanted was somebody to listen to you? How often have you listened to somebody? This past year so many people have come out with their struggles and even though I am no expert in the manoeuvering of feelings and making sense of all the chaos in my own head, I’m trying to learn as much as I can. I saw a lot of people posting on their social media during these times about how they are available if anyone needs to talk. I know at least 90% of the people who posted this seemingly empathetic invitation did not mean it one bit. Because you see, people say a lot of things these days, especially on social media to appear ‘woke’ and aware and all the while they want nothing to do with the real issue. But if you really want to be an empathetic person who genuinely wants to help, then follow these:

1) Don’t say ‘I understand’ if you have not gone through what the person you’re talking to has gone through. This may come off as dismissive and superficial and the person may not want to confide in you anymore. Instead say something like ‘I may not understand what you are going through but I will listen to you.’

2) Don’t try to offer solutions offhandedly. If you genuinely have experience in the area only then tell them what to do or give them any advice.

3) Never compare their problems to your own. That is the worst way you could be with someone who feels like their world may be ending. No two people have the same experience, so to compare your problems when already they are having a hard time opening up is the most insensitive thing you can do. Don’t undermine their struggles with your tactlessness.

These may seem very basic tips but if you are willing to be kind and patient they will go a long way in helping someone who is struggling.

I'll call out the unpopular option here - Work

My motto was - 'Worrying means you suffer twice. Drown yourself in work, so that you have no time to worry.'
#NotOriginal
Very true..work keeps you occupied and makes you forget everything else. Doesn't have to be office work though, it could be studies too which can help you improve you skills and knowledge.

How often have you found yourself so overwhelmed with your struggles that all you wanted was somebody to listen to you? How often have you listened to somebody? This past year so many people have come out with their struggles and even though I am no expert in the manoeuvering of feelings and making sense of all the chaos in my own head, I’m trying to learn as much as I can. I saw a lot of people posting on their social media during these times about how they are available if anyone needs to talk. I know at least 90% of the people who posted this seemingly empathetic invitation did not mean it one bit. Because you see, people say a lot of things these days, especially on social media to appear ‘woke’ and aware and all the while they want nothing to do with the real issue. But if you really want to be an empathetic person who genuinely wants to help, then follow these:

1) Don’t say ‘I understand’ if you have not gone through what the person you’re talking to has gone through. This may come off as dismissive and superficial and the person may not want to confide in you anymore. Instead say something like ‘I may not understand what you are going through but I will listen to you.’

2) Don’t try to offer solutions offhandedly. If you genuinely have experience in the area only then tell them what to do or give them any advice.

3) Never compare their problems to your own. That is the worst way you could be with someone who feels like their world may be ending. No two people have the same experience, so to compare your problems when already they are having a hard time opening up is the most insensitive thing you can do. Don’t undermine their struggles with your tactlessness.

These may seem very basic tips but if you are willing to be kind and patient they will go a long way in helping someone who is struggling.
Very good advice. most people going through tough times, are not open to your fake sympathy. They just want somebody to share to, so be good a listener first.

Back