Adobe or SAP Labs?? I have my interview on the same day

I'm entering my 2nd year of B.Tech this year from MDU <<Dayanand University, Rohtak>> Got some queries....

1. Could some of the industry veterans here clear doubts about what sort of pay packages a computer science student realistically gets. And i am not talking about IITs...

2. What additional stuff should i be doing to increase my prospects of landing a good job ? ie above and beyond the regular course material to gain an edge .....

@Aces170 yep IBanks Recruits freshers from almost all IIT's . I have a lot of friends in Deutsche Bank who joined as freshers working in Mumbai. They were offered 14L per annum 2 years back. Some of my friends were also in Lehman, they offered 14L, when it went down. Yep their salary's are nothing compared to bonuses they get which i'm not allowed to talk about here

Yes, IB, Portfolio Management, Consultancy with the Big 4, really get the bucks rolling. And they have a fetish for IIT-IIM.

Supra said:
Well for IITs its a different ballpark alotogether. But 15L CTC by amazon at Jadavpur Univ :O ...I am speechless.

Ok it seems to be correct. 15L pa for B.Tech for a college not in Top 20 also....man seriously I need a job change nw !

LOL! :p

Btw this friend of mine who recently quit L&T and joined ONGC - his pay package is pretty awesome. He wrote the usual annual test conducted by the PSU and cleared the interview. He works on an on-shore plant for 15 days and leaves for home for the next fortnight and the cycle continues. His basic pay alone amounts to 25k and the credited amount in the account is somewhere close to 50k. And he does not have to spend a penny from the pocket! :O

I mean ONGC pays him for his laundry, clothes for a year (~12k), stay in an AC porta-cabin, food, travel in economy airfare to and fro from the site to home and what not! He sure is saving a lot these days. :(

dhruvrock2000 said:
I'm entering my 2nd year of B.Tech this year from MDU <<Dayanand University, Rohtak>> Got some queries....

1. Could some of the industry veterans here clear doubts about what sort of pay packages a computer science student realistically gets. And i am not talking about IITs...

2. What additional stuff should i be doing to increase my prospects of landing a good job ? ie above and beyond the regular course material to gain an edge .....
Are you in MDU or a MDU affiliated college?

I'm also pursuing B.Tech from MDU affiliated college called Lingaya's, Faridabad. :) Going to enter 3rd year now.

Desecrator said:

Btw this friend of mine who recently quit L&T and joined ONGC - his pay package is pretty awesome. He wrote the usual annual test conducted by the PSU and cleared the interview. He works on an on-shore plant for 15 days and leaves for home for the next fortnight and the cycle continues. His basic pay alone amounts to 25k and the credited amount in the account is somewhere close to 50k. And he does not have to spend a penny from the pocket! :O

I mean ONGC pays him for his laundry, clothes for a year (~12k), stay in an AC porta-cabin, food, travel in economy airfare to and fro from the site to home and what not! He sure is saving a lot these days. :(

Hey! I too gave the ONGC exam, on 20th June. Waiting for the result. Can u ask your friend Gannu as to what sort of questions were asked during the interview and lemme know here ? Will highly appreciate it :)

LOL dude that's a really low package for someone working in a IT sector. People working in the core sector get paid almost as much esp. freshers after the training. :p

Err...I don't think so. Atleast, not in general.
6L, 10L 15L....hmmm, those are some astronomical salary figures. Ppl get such salaries after years of experience.

lol...6 lakh?? 10 lakh?? People don't get that much after doing their MBA's from rank 15 onwards colleges...are you talking about some hotshot IIT'an or something? I've seen Btech dudes earning only about 3-4 lakh.

Couldn't agree more. The reality.

I'm not able to make out what u r trying to say. Some companies might take this against me? What do u mean by that exactly Many have already rejected me because of this, now what' the worse they can do about it ?

I was, rather indirectly, referring to that.

Desecrator said:

Heh heh ONGC is one of the best companies to work for in India bar none.

The HR guy taking the interview said that the result would be out by Monday , latest. However as I did not get any call till tuesday , I called up a guy there myself. He said that "wait for some more time". Which I interpreted as some more Hours. However I called him up again on Thu (as I did not get any call), and asked when can I expect the result , he said to wait for few more days. He said he will call me by next week. So I do not know what to make of it.Confirmation, rejection ,????

^^ He would definitely not have asked you to wait if you had already been rejected. The usual course of action in case of rejection is either not to reply at all or just send a pretty standard "sorry your profile does not suit our current requirement" kind of e-mail. Either their process is still not complete or at worst they have you in their waiting list and you getting an offer is subject to other candidates they are looking at.

Ryunosuke said:
Hey! I too gave the ONGC exam, on 20th June. Waiting for the result. Can u ask your friend Gannu as to what sort of questions were asked during the interview and lemme know here ? Will highly appreciate it :)
Well the interview wasn't all that hard. In fact they had a panel of about 3 old gentlemen, asked him a lot on the current affairs, about ONGC itself, his previous work experience and so forth. I'd say, the test is a bit hard but clearing the interview is failry easier. :)

Chaos said:
Heh heh ONGC is one of the best companies to work for in India bar none.
Chaos, isn't your dad working for ONGC? :bleh:

eggman said:
Got Selected .Phew..... Joining is on 16th though....Gotta find a 1BHK flat fast....
Congrats man! :D

Back