Adobe or SAP Labs?? I have my interview on the same day

Do you think my answers to his questions were good enough?

eggman said:
after that he told me that they were looking through other candidates too...if i am selected i will be notified by sat or mon (dunno what to make of it)...
I just hope he is not indirectly telling me that I am rejected!

eggman said:
I just hope he is not indirectly telling me that I am rejected!

It usually means that they have more candidates to interview. Once they are done with the interviews, they consolidate the information of all eligible candidates and then select candidates from that list. Not entirely an unusual procedure if they target to recruit a limited number of candidates and they have more eligible candidates than positions. Some of these companies interview all the shortlisted candidates first and then take a week or two to again shortlist based on interview performance and then give offer letters. So its not like every company tells you immediately whether you got selected.

Its common even with off campus recruitment's as well. Its similar with my company as well though the process is a bit different. When we have 3~4 open position's about 30~40 candidates may appear for the preliminary test and about 10 get shortlisted. When we conduct technical interviews we are given a sheet to fill. In that sheet we fill information about the candidate's technical strengths/weaknesses and any other traits that we may observe. At the end of the interview, we also fill in a final comment which describes the result of the interview. If the candidate does not do well at all, we put in the comment as "rejected" and the HR tells the candidate immediately that he can leave for the day. If the candidate is very good, he is "passed". He goes on to next round. If the candidate is alright, but we think there is a chance that there may be a better suited candidate among the rest, we put him in "wait". If a candidate gets passed in two rounds, he is recruited immediately (after a third HR round) and his offer letter is given the same day. If we do not manage to fill the vacancies, then the wait list is visited and based on the information filled in by the interviewer's one or two deserving candidates may be called again for another round and based on the performance he may be offered a job.

In contrast, some companies do not usually recruit with a particular number in mind. Their recruitment limits are usually in the thousands or ten thousands. They conduct the process and recruit every one who they deem good without thinking too much about the limit in each session.

Desecrator said:
do a jump and get into a classification society. Those guys get paid in excess of 2LPM depending on experience and place of posting. :O
Dude, what is this classification thingie? 2LPM sounds really exciting and I can jump from any field into that :D

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Also dude what college are you in! Infy giving 3.25 is cool (by Infy's standards). Or am I outdated about the current CTCs?

Hey dude,

During each round of interviews, you are given a rating. Based on your collective rating, they will accept/reject you.

Since most of your interviews have gone well, I think you should be selected.

And SAP is in its hiring phase, so most probably they will select a lot of candidates.

So relax and hope for the best!

Lord Nemesis said:
^^ Adobe's CTC (for freshers) has gradually decreased over time. I think its the same case with MS and Google. MS used to pay 8L and Google 12L. They don't pay that much these days.
The current CTC for freshers ( 2010 ) are 6.9L and 10.6L for Adobe and MS respectively. :)

Well, this is how it went in sap labs.

On saturday morning about 120 candidates came for the selection process. The criteria was already high at 70% in BE ,12th and 10th.

After the first written round ,about 45-50 students were shortlisted for the next round.

Then we had our interviews , which lasted for half hour.Some of them had only one interview(only technical) and the remaining ,including me ,had a second interview (managerial round....basic stuff,puzzles).Initially I thought this was the HR round.

Turns out those who had only one interview were not called for further process...and I dunno how many of those who had two interviews were called , but I think most or maybe all of them could've have got the call.Still I'm guessing that the number is between 25-30 at max.Two of my friends had only one round and none of them were called further. So I am guessing that technical round was a filteration round.

Anyway, the hr guy said in the call that he has emailed a form which I have to fill up and send back.The form had info like name,address,marks etc..This is a positive sign,I hope... as they wouldn't have asked for details unless I was in serious consideration. After I had filled and emailed him the form back, the next day I got the call informing about my HR interview.

I don't know how many openings are there in SAP right now, but the guy who was conducting the interviews said that about 30 openings are there.So I am a bit hopeful....but the fact that they are looking through more candidates than they have planned to hire has left me worried a bit!! Just keeping my fingers crossed !

Is ( (CTC/12) - Tax) = Monthly cheque to take home?

eggman said:
I don't know how many openings are there in SAP right now, but the guy who was conducting the interviews said that about 30 openings are there.So I am a bit hopeful....but the fact that they are looking through more candidates than they have planned to hire has left me worried a bit!! Just keeping my fingers crossed !

Maybe I am mistaken, but isn't this pretty common? When I went back for hiring at my Alma Mater, we interviewed 30-40 people and made offers to three people. Ours is a very small company, so we could make offers only to three people. Others who were there were also interviewing 10 people for every 5 positions to be filled, or something like that. There is the fact that when we posted the job description, we also announced how many people we were looking to hire.

Yeah it, but 3 outta 30-40....thats really less.....was that HR interview or technical or what???Did you company take 3 outta 40 on basis of just one interview?

eggman said:
Yeah it, but 3 outta 30-40....thats really less.....was that HR interview or technical or what???Did you company take 3 outta 40 on basis of just one interview?
Like I said, a very small company. Cannot afford to hire someone and then let them go like a larger company can. Have to screen as many people as we can. We just posted the job description, pay scale and how many people we wanted to hire. Lots of CVs came in and we called about 40 for interview. Made offers to three people. We don't have separate HR interviews/technical interviews. Just a couple of interviews with people who have been with the company for a few years and one with the lead technical person.

Even with my company (is not a large one), I go through ~9-10 candidates (all ready pre-screened, done 2 rounds) then finally narrow down on one. What whatsinaname, mentioned about not easily letting go of candidates since a lot of time/money/investment is incurred, so absolute correct lock-down is required. At times once we select a candidate, if there is even a small doubt we conduct more rounds. You could call it a paranoid approach, but it is quite painful to realize post hiring that the fitment is incorrect or instability is rampant. Recruitment does carry high costs to the organization.

sabby said:
The current CTC for freshers ( 2010 ) are 6.9L and 10.6L for Adobe and MS respectively. :)

Which campus is this. IIT's usually get higher packages than other colleges.
whatsinaname said:
Is ( (CTC/12) - Tax) = Monthly cheque to take home?

Nope. CTC is cost to company, So it may include additional benefits like Medical Insurance, gratuity and Employer PF and anything else that may end up as cost to the company during the year and not essentially part of the salary. What you are taking about is Gross yearly Salary. Gross Salary/12 - Tax = Net monthly income which is what you take home. For example the CTC may be 10L, but the gross annual income may be only 8L in that.

What all gets added in the CTC changes from company to company. For example a company may include an yearly bonus or Loan interest benefits as part of the CTC. others may not. So same CTC from two companies does not guarantee same take home income.

whatsinaname said:
Maybe I am mistaken, but isn't this pretty common? When I went back for hiring at my Alma Mater, we interviewed 30-40 people and made offers to three people. Ours is a very small company, so we could make offers only to three people. Others who were there were also interviewing 10 people for every 5 positions to be filled, or something like that. There is the fact that when we posted the job description, we also announced how many people we were looking to hire.
eggman said:
When my current company came to my campus when I was back in college, they were targeting for 3 recruitment's. 120 people sat for preliminary test and 40 people were short listed for interviews. There were two technical and one manager cum HR kind of round (meaning to say that the manger had those kinds of questions to ask). If the first tech interviewer found a candidate pretty strong he was directly sent to the final manager cum HR round skipping the second round. After interviewing 8~10 people, they felt that recruiting only 3 would be too difficult as there were some pretty good people to be found at our campus and they called back the company and got permission to recruit 10 which is what they recruited in the end.

^^

Absolutely correct (pertaining to the CTC conversation). It should be scrutinized extremely closely. Or the break up should be shown to experienced veterans. Companies have a habit of bloating the CTC with stuff like:

1. Absolute Bonus -- which is technically the highest bonus possible for your band -- provided you are the highest performer. This scenario may not occur for the individual after completing an annual appraisal cycle.

2. Companies PF contribution.

3. Gratuity -- which actually kicks in after 5 years of service.

4. Loan allowance.

5. Housing allowance.

6. Car/petrol expenses (this is the biggest bummer).

7. Sodexo vouchers.

8. Medical reimbursements.

9. LTA.

Apart from the PF component none will hit your basic. Also before saying the final "yes", evaluate which tax bracket you will fall in, and what is taxable as per the company. HR usually answers this quite transparently.

Lord Nemesis said:
Nope. CTC is cost to company, So it may include additional benefits like Medical Insurance, gratuity and Employer PF and anything else that may end up as cost to the company during the year and not essentially part of the salary. What you are taking about is Gross yearly Salary. Gross Salary/12 - Tax = Net monthly income which is what you take home. For example the CTC may be 10L, but the gross annual income may be only 8L in that.

What all gets added in the CTC changes from company to company. For example a company may include an yearly bonus or Loan interest benefits as part of the CTC. others may not. So same CTC from two companies does not guarantee same take home income.
Thanks for the info. I got my current job through word of mouth/networking, so not sure about the terms used in placements.

From now onwards, when people ask me how much I make, I am going to calculate my CTC and give it to out. At least it will stop the 'You make so little money at that company! You should change jobs!' comments. :rofl:

LTA and Medical advances are alright to be included in CTC for some companies at least based on how they treat them. In some companies LTA and Medical advance are not paid at all unless you submit proof for the same. In others like mine, Its payed out every month as part of salary and its taxed like rest of salary. If you submit valid proof for the same near the end of the year, the tax amount is adjusted so that these components are not taxed as per the govt rules and regulations. So essentially you are getting the amount and the only thing that changes based on submission of proof's is whether that amount is taxed. Our CTC does not include loan interest benefit (which allows you take a vehicle or housing loan and let the company pay the interest amount to the tune of 75k per year) and yearly bonus either (which you have no guarantee of getting every year). Some companies also include in CTC such benefits that you may never get or avail. As asingh said things like these need to be read and understood carefully before you commit. I have known the case of at least one guy who got a Package of 8L in a company, but what he ended up taking home was roughly the same as what a guy with 5.5L in my company takes home. The CTC was heavily bloated.

whatsinaname said:
Thanks for the info. I got my current job through word of mouth/networking, so not sure about the terms used in placements.

You are welcome..:) Even I was not aware of the terminology myself. After both B.Tech and M.Tech I managed to convert my first interview into job offer and I was not allowed to attend any further campus interviews. I did not bother about the offer and its terms after B.Tech and since I was going to take up the offer I got during M.Tech, I had to go though the documents and that's when I had to look up all the terminology and understand them in order to understand the CTC and the rest of the documentation related to other benefits. The rest of the knowledge about the practices in other companies was gathered though friends and colleagues. Its not like everyone gets to know about these things before they land a job.

whatsinaname said:
From now onwards, when people ask me how much I make, I am going to calculate my CTC and give it to out. At least it will stop the 'You make so little money at that company! You should change jobs!' comments. :rofl:

LOL.. That sure bloats up the salary. If you tell people (especially elderly people like your uncles/aunts etc) CTC, they are like CTC/12 = Monthly salary. They don't even make consideration for taxes and other cuts.

I have seen that on an average we get approximately 70 - 73 % of the CTC as take home. Assuming the regular tax saving instruments barring the housing loan are taken care of.

Back