Advice Needed for buying Motorola Defy

wolvish

Disciple
Hi guys,
I'm new here. I am a Sales Executive and I travel a lot. When I came across the specs of the DEFY, I was pretty impressed and decided to buy one. I need some advice from the users here. Here goes,

1. Is the phone really water proof (or water resistant) for 30 minutes in 1m depth of water with all the ports covered as per IP67 ? Honestly I can live if the phone withstands occasional rainfalls.

2. Is that defective earpiece issue plaguing Indian models as well :huh:?

3. If something goes wrong with the phone, are there any authorized service centers for Motorola in India? When I looked up their Indian page, can't find anything :no:..

4. From TE, I learned about letsbuy.com, can I use the discount coupon and COD method to buy the phone for 15.2 k with proper invoice/bill? Is that valid in the service centers? (I live in Chennai)

5. When will the Reliance coupon code expire? Univercell site still shows the phone at 18 thousand w/o tax. If I opt for letsbuy, I get a deal for 15k, that's really impressive

Any feedback would be appreciated guys :hap2:

That's weird.. I just received an sms from letsbuy (not an email) that my order has been shipped by Aramex (instead of Bluedart). awb number has been provided. But in letsbuy.com, it still shows "In progress"

wolvish said:
That's weird.. I just received an sms from letsbuy (not an email) that my order has been shipped by Aramex (instead of Bluedart). awb number has been provided. But in letsbuy.com, it still shows "In progress"
Call the CC. Their website will not get updated anytime soon.

My Defy has also been shipped by ARAMEX. You can track the status on their website using shipment number. I have been doing that since yesterday. Just called them a few minutes back. Confirmed that they will be delivering it by 5.00 pm today.

wolvish said:
Yup.. I've been doing the same from yesterday :) .. BTW Have you received it yet? How's the packing and did it have proper invoice OUTSIDE the package?

Yes. Received the phone yesterday at 5.00. Thats really fast considering i had ordered the phone on saturday (30-04-2011). The packaging is perfect. Yeah it did have the invoice outside the package.

quixand said:
Please do post first hands on impressions.
1. First Impression:- Got the feedback from Aramex that usually the packages from letsbuy are decently packed, (unlike some other new players) and have fewer returns.
2. After checking the package and invoice, I paid the money (No octroi) and opened it. The packing is good as they said, with Air bubble pouch inside and a carton outside with invoice.
3. The phone was packed by Motorola India on the month April 2011, which is great, the item is new and it had no signs of tampered seals and all, which gave the assurance of a genuine product..
4. After opening the package, I found the full black bodied Defy (we can't select the colour while ordering in letsbuy) WITHOUT the MotoBLUR, which surprised me..
5. As our friend AsidXxx said, build quality was awesome...
6. 2 GB Micro SD card was already inside the slot of the phone.
7. After switching on the phone, I found Android 2.1 update 1 which had no lags or restarts until now.
8. 3.7 inch screen is crystal clear and great for browsing and video playback. Swype input is also accurate and great.. Phone was comfortable in the hands, but while talking, I felt it to be a bit heavier than my old phones. Voice was clear on both ends.
9. I was curious to test the water proof functionality of the phone, but refrained myself (for now) .. :(
10. Overall - For the price 15k, the phone is simply amazing..

Hope this helps.. :)

^^ A very clear, concise, to the point review. Nice. As u said for the price that's the best bang for the buck.

Hope u enjoy ur phone to the fullest.

P.S don't hold back too much bruv. Life's simply too short.

wolvish said:
1. First Impression:- Got the feedback from Aramex that usually the packages from letsbuy are decently packed, (unlike some other new players) and have fewer returns.
2. After checking the package and invoice, I paid the money (No octroi) and opened it. The packing is good as they said, with Air bubble pouch inside and a carton outside with invoice.
3. The phone was packed by Motorola India on the month April 2011, which is great, the item is new and it had no signs of tampered seals and all, which gave the assurance of a genuine product..
4. After opening the package, I found the full black bodied Defy (we can't select the colour while ordering in letsbuy) WITHOUT the MotoBLUR, which surprised me..
7. After switching on the phone, I found Android 2.1 update 1 which had no lags or restarts until now.
8. 3.7 inch screen is crystal clear and great for browsing and video playback. Swype input is also accurate and great.. Phone was comfortable in the hands, but while talking, I felt it to be a bit heavier than my old phones. Voice was clear on both ends.
9. I was curious to test the water proof functionality of the phone, but refrained myself (for now) .. :(

Nice. Pretty exhaustive :)

pauldmps said:
How come it came without Motoblur ?

Does that mean that it is running vanilla Android ?
Nope. I even checked with the Moto website. Some of the Blurs they produce don't have MotoBLUR, especially for the Asia-Pacific Region..

Motorola DEFY - Durable Android Smart Phone with Blur - Touchscreen - Water Dust Scratch Resistant - Touch Tablet - Overview - Motorola Mobility, Inc. India

DEFY with MOTOBLUR - Android Smart Phone with Blur - Touchscreen - Water Dust Scratch Resistant - Experience - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

In the US version, the Moto logo will say "Blur" in the back cover, mine doesn't..

I'm not sure.. But apparently, If the phone had MotoBlur, we have to setup a Blur account prior hand to use the phone itself. I didn't do any such thing..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

memnom said:
^^ A very clear, concise, to the point review. Nice. As u said for the price that's the best bang for the buck.

Hope u enjoy ur phone to the fullest.

P.S don't hold back too much bruv. Life's simply too short.
Thanks mate.. :)

wolvish said:

its an Amazing phone. Thanks to TE members. Cannot ever go wrong with TE :)

After 17 hours of moderate usage with some browsing and calls, the battery is 30%. Initially it was in 'smart mode', then i changed it to 'power saver'. Any ideas to improve it?? I heard froyo update improves the battery a bit.. Also having some problems with wifi connectivity...

I am planning to buy the Motorola Defy, I would be glad if some of the owners could clear some of these small doubts for me:-

[1] Is the interface laggy? scrolling through menus,random lockups and screen freeze-ups? My Zte Blade had such issues.

[2] How good is the call clarity and network detection strength?

[3] Do games lag sometimes? Angry birds used lag in my Zte Blade.

[4] How much battery life can I get out of it - my usage being - 2 hours of music,2 hours of playing with apps and browsing the internet and 4 hours of calls?

[5] Can it handle video playback for files(xvid/divx) directly dragged and dropped into the memory card?

[6] Is the camera decent enough?

[7] Can it be upgraded to Android 2.2/2.3?

[1] No lag issue .. you can very easily overclock the phone to 1Ghz using Milestone OC .. (technically this isn't an overclock since Moto underclocks the proccy to 800Mhz at factory). At 1 Ghz the phone is "silky-smooth" ala Zohan .. :D

[2] Call clarity is great .. Defy has an active noise cancellation mic. You can used various in-call sound profiles. Signal reception is also quite good .. even when traveling.

[3] Angry birds Rio lagged a little during intensive physics and effects. OC will smoothen that out too.

[4] One day or maybe more .. My usage is quite intensive and I always have a charger around.

[5] Natively it performs better at MP4 .. xvid/divx might require external players.

[6] Camera is quite good for outdoor shoots and the Macro shot is really nice. Indoors with low light, not impressive.

[7] 2.2 Officially / 2.3 through CM7 mod underdevelopment currently.

Back