Advice Needed for buying Motorola Defy

wolvish

Disciple
Apr 26, 2011
Chennai
Hi guys,
I'm new here. I am a Sales Executive and I travel a lot. When I came across the specs of the DEFY, I was pretty impressed and decided to buy one. I need some advice from the users here. Here goes,

1. Is the phone really water proof (or water resistant) for 30 minutes in 1m depth of water with all the ports covered as per IP67 ? Honestly I can live if the phone withstands occasional rainfalls.

2. Is that defective earpiece issue plaguing Indian models as well :huh:?

3. If something goes wrong with the phone, are there any authorized service centers for Motorola in India? When I looked up their Indian page, can't find anything :no:..

4. From TE, I learned about letsbuy.com, can I use the discount coupon and COD method to buy the phone for 15.2 k with proper invoice/bill? Is that valid in the service centers? (I live in Chennai)

5. When will the Reliance coupon code expire? Univercell site still shows the phone at 18 thousand w/o tax. If I opt for letsbuy, I get a deal for 15k, that's really impressive

Any feedback would be appreciated guys :hap2:

pauldmps

Skilled
Mar 20, 2011
Hyderabad, India
1. Yes it will withstand occasional rainfalls without any problem.

2. No idea. But I think not. Since it was released in India much later & many TE members are using it without any issue.

3. There must be.

4. Yes the bill is valid.

5. Coupon expires on 30th April.

dexBG

still fishing
Adept
Oct 1, 2009
Moto defy owner here .. :)

1. Yups it can handle more than your occasional downpour. I've personally tested my with an submerged video recording in a swimming pool.

2. No defective issue have been reported in a while .. Moto fixed it quite a while back. Indian models come with the latest firmware n HW.

3. While there is a scarcity of Motorola Service centers but you can imagine yourself whats the major reason for getting your mobile serviced .. and the Moto defy is immune to most of those reasons. Android is fairly stable platform so no worries there.

4. LetsBuy.com will give you a valid bill. Once you have the set you can go to the Motorola website and enter your IMIE number there and check out your warranty status.

5. The LetsBuy deal is really impressive .. I missed that info by a few days n bought it for 17k from PlanetM .. although at one point I was ready to pay more than 18k to have it .. :D

6. Besides the waterproofing .. what you will find more useful is the scratch resistant screen and the rugged body. You can carry it around in your pocket without any protective film or case/pouch just like your fav. Nokia .. and not worry bout damaging it.

7. The phone is the sturdiest phone i've seen .. mine has been dropped n tossed around quite a lot by me n friend (accidently..) and every time I just have to dust it off.. no scratches or dents or blemishes. The phone doesn't build up palm-sweat too .. if you have that kind of problem.

8. The bundled features and apps that Motorola have provided with the Defy (2.1 Eclair) will not let you miss out on the 2.2 Froyo experience. And the official 2.2 is just around the corner.

9. Superb integration with Social Media n office-productivity apps out of the box.

10. Lastly there is an awesome Dev-Support community for the Motorola DEFY online .. and the latest Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread port is almost ready (Based on CM7 , courtesy Quarx @ XDA).

St.John

Disciple
Mar 10, 2010
1. Is the phone really water proof (or water resistant) for 30 minutes in 1m depth of water with all the ports covered as per IP67 ? Honestly I can live if the phone withstands occasional rainfalls.

Yes, it will. But Motorola never took the ip67 certification. Officially it is "Water-Proof" not "Water resistant", there is a difference. It'll handle anything, just don't put it in a Washing Machine just to check.... :) :)

2. Is that defective earpiece issue plaguing Indian models as well :huh:?

That's old story buddy... No such issues now...

3. If something goes wrong with the phone, are there any authorized service centers for Motorola in India? When I looked up their Indian page, can't find anything :no:..

Do a google search, you'll find them. There are 3 in Gurgaon...

4. From TE, I learned about letsbuy.com, can I use the discount coupon and COD method to buy the phone for 15.2 k with proper invoice/bill? Is that valid in the service centers? (I live in Chennai)

no idea..

5. When will the Reliance coupon code expire? Univercell site still shows the phone at 18 thousand w/o tax. If I opt for letsbuy, I get a deal for 15k, that's really impressive

No idea...

Any feedback would be appreciated guys...

i just installed Barebones ver 1.5 (read 2.2) and overclocked CPU from 800 MHz to 1100 Mhz... Am totally loving it...:) :)

wolvish

Disciple
Apr 26, 2011
Chennai
Thanks for the informative replies guys. I just checked out the mobile (for real) in a retail store, they said the price is 18990/- inclusive of all taxes. When I asked about the cheap online pricing, they said the item maybe old (or) defective and it does not have warranty blah blah. Of course I did not accept that, still wondering why this huge price difference (4k rupees). Is it because it by passes the middle men (retailers)?

DarkAngel

Skilled
Apr 10, 2009
Motorola Defy Price In India: Buy Motorola Defy: Price, Reviews: Flipkart Mobiles

Motorola DEFY | Motorola DEFY Price in India | Reviews, Videos - 91mobiles.com

The usual online pricing is ~17.2k. But Letsbuy is having an offer running for promotional purpose and it has worked. Loads of people are buying from there and visibility has increased a lot. (They might even be at loss but this has worked out better than expensive TV ads may be :))

The coupon expires April 30th. You can use Cash On Delivery option too and get the phone since you live in a major city. The phone is overpriced @ 19k!

dexBG

still fishing
Adept
Oct 1, 2009
Try to find out the price at Planet M ..

When I inquired there .. the first offer they made was 1k less than the current one I had from other shops .. (17k vs 18k).

I immediately bought it.

Later my friend went and bargained further at another Planet M store and they even came down to 16k .. when the market price was easily 18k+.

pauldmps

Skilled
Mar 20, 2011
Hyderabad, India
wolvish said:
Thanks for the informative replies guys. I just checked out the mobile (for real) in a retail store, they said the price is 18990/- inclusive of all taxes. When I asked about the cheap online pricing, they said the item maybe old (or) defective and it does not have warranty blah blah. Of course I did not accept that, still wondering why this huge price difference (4k rupees). Is it because it by passes the middle men (retailers)?

Check the last few pages of this thread: http://www.techenclave.com/hot-deals-and-discussions/letsbuy-com-deals-and-coupons-186393.html

It seems most TE members are happy about their purchase from Letsbuy. A guy even bought stuff worth two lakhs from there !

As DarkAngel suggested, they have some kind of way to recover the discount price & since this is a Reliance coupon, I think Reliance also pays some part of the discounted amount.

wolvish

Disciple
Apr 26, 2011
Chennai
Good to know that letsbuy.com is a trusted site.. :) I'll check out PlanetM as well today and get the feedback.. Thanks for all the help guys..

P.s. - Any news about official 2.2 update for defy in India yet?

killmastern3

Adept
Dec 10, 2010
Bangalore
Another Defy owner here :). Bought it from Letsbuy for 15.8k. Came with good packaging and all accessories. had to wait for 10 days though, made a mistake by paying by debit card. The mobile performs nicely, have no regrets buying it. 2.2 is supposed to be released in May. Am really wondering whether to flash it now or wait for the official update.

@St.John, Have you upgraded the mobile to Froyo? Just want some information regarding this, can i reflash it to the original version if i need to claim warranty?

RKitect

Disciple
Jun 10, 2005
Mumbai
killmastern3 said:
Another Defy owner here :). Bought it from Letsbuy for 15.8k. Came with good packaging and all accessories. had to wait for 10 days though, made a mistake by paying by debit card. The mobile performs nicely, have no regrets buying it. 2.2 is supposed to be released in May. Am really wondering whether to flash it now or wait for the official update.

@St.John, Have you upgraded the mobile to Froyo? Just want some information regarding this, can i reflash it to the original version if i need to claim warranty?

I am planning to buy DEFY from letsbuy today using a credit card. Can you please share as to why you think that you made a mistake by paying using a debit card?
Is COD the best option ?

<<Mod>> Plese refrain from using SMS Lingo as its agaist TE Rules. Post edited.

killmastern3

Adept
Dec 10, 2010
Bangalore
RKitect said:
I am planning to buy DEFY from letsbuy today using a credit card. Can you pls share as to y u thing that u made a mistake by paying using a debbit card .??
Is COD the best option ??
I think you should go for cod. They shipped the phone 8 days after the money was debited from my account. I followed up 6 times and got no satisfying answer. They told me the mobile was not in stock, hence the delay in shipping. I found it hard to believe that. Hence opting for cod is
better in my opinion. It might make them ship the product a bit faster :) Anyways if you are planning on getting points on the credit card, you can go ahead with it. Only thing is they might make you wait to receive the product as in my case.

RKitect

Disciple
Jun 10, 2005
Mumbai
killmastern3 said:
I think you should go for cod. They shipped the phone 8 days after the money was debited from my account. I followed up 6 times and got no satisfying answer. They told me the mobile was not in stock, hence the delay in shipping. I found it hard to believe that. Hence opting for cod is

better in my opinion. It might make them ship the product a bit faster :) Anyways if you are planning on getting points on the credit card, you can go ahead with it. Only thing is they might make you wait to receive the product as in my case.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

DarkAngel

Skilled
Apr 10, 2009
wolvish said:
Ordered DEFY on COD yesterday from letsbuy. It still shows "To be verified" in status. Waiting for it, fingers crossed.. :)
Call them and confirm. I did it and it changed to 'Ready to Ship'. But this was on Monday and the status is still the same :|

killmastern3

Adept
Dec 10, 2010
Bangalore
DarkAngel said:
Call them and confirm. I did it and it changed to 'Ready to Ship'. But this was on Monday and the status is still the same :|
Thats the problem with them. Calling them is useless, they will not do what they say. They promised me a callback with info 2 times on the sameday,.never received it. 3rd time I called back and told the guy I would not cut the call unless I
get a satisfactory answer, got his name and told him I will send a mail listing all my grievances and all the promises made by them to me on the previous calls and told him I will mention his name in the mail :) Viola, the product was shipped that night.

wolvish

Disciple
Apr 26, 2011
Chennai
DarkAngel said:
I just sent them a mail. I received a reply within 3 hours and it said

"We would like to inform you that your order#LSB-xxxxxx has been confirmed on 30-4-2011, product will be dispatch on shipment time committed and shipping details will be e-mailed to your registered e-mail id."

Hopefully I'll get my hands on it on Tuesday I guess..