After 19 years of Windows/PC.. It's a Mac!

Yep. Using it without the keyboard skin.

You can get the latest price on their website. They have skins for the 11" as well. Check it out. The code can be used on any skin I guess

Congrats. Airs are tougher than you think. Been using for a long time with no protection and no scratches at all, and I'm not into babying my stuff either.

@mach9 Congrats on the purchase. how is the performance of the D-link AC router? I'm looking to change to gigabit router and 802.11ac

Short Summary:
1. Relatively cheap (read VFM)
2. Good construction, sturdy & decent looks.
3. Dual band. 2Ghz is nice & 5Ghz ac is really sweet. Range on the 5Ghz is nothing to write about. 2Ghz has noticeably longer reach.
4. Having said the above, the overall range for the router is average. Clearly it pays the price for having internal antennas.
5. No option to retrofit an external antenna
6. Doesnt have D-links beamforming technology. Havent experienced one which has so I cant comment on how much of a drawback it is.
7. Last i checked it doesnt support DDWRT.
8. Shittiest UI for router management i've ever seen in my life.
9. Gigabit ports.. always preferred
10. Wall mounting can be done.. but since it can only be mouted at its standing base... it sticks out from the wall!
11. only 2 lights.. power on & internet connectivity. No send / recieve /port activity indicators. ( honestly i think they skimped a little too much on this)

Review: http://www.trustedreviews.com/d-lin...rmance-value-verdict-page-2#tr-review-summary

thats what i can remember from the top of my head. Basically its a good feature packed router with enough advanced features/options to keep you happy. for the price, its well worth it.

Last edited:
Great. Thanks for the details on the router.. Exactly what I wanted to know. If the range is not good, I think i need to get one with an external antenna.

Great. Thanks for the details on the router.. Exactly what I wanted to know. If the range is not good, I think i need to get one with an external antenna.

Not that it's not good. It's not good in COMPARISON to one with external antennas. For a 3BHK flat .. Unless you have bathrooms in remote corners or a layout which has multi wall obstructions in the way, it should easily cover a good 1500sq.ft flat. Some amount of optimal positioning may be required.

Trouble is AC routers are really expensive for no apparent reason. Ones which sport the right antenna strength, range & features are all really expensive. ASUS used to be really great VFM but lately they've taken their "lifestyle product" positioning a little too far & premium prices are not worth it.

At the top end the Netgear Nighthawk still rules to no 1 spot for an insane price.

So pick one for your use. Range is not everything. The ability of the router to sustain throughput over distance is key. You might get wifi signals at range but not the performance.

Back