Air conditioner Maintenance Tips

So will there be issues in the future? I mean what happens when ODU is used to vacuum.
Does this lead to less gas in the system?
That's why I got the installation done by local expert. He knows that if anything goes wrong I'll be on him, so he does his best while installing. I didn't even know that vacuuming is required but he did it because it was a necessary step in the process.
Unfortunately, good technicians are hard to find. Everyone in my city wants to make quick buck without customer satisfaction.
The problem is neither the customer nor tne engineer are aware of the significance of vacuuming.

So will there be issues in the future? I mean what happens when ODU is used to vacuum.
Does this lead to less gas in the system?
So depending on humidty level at that time, the machine would have sucked air and moisture. Which on the long run will cause damage. Typically people who dont vacuum would have used the gas to purge the air and moisture out at the expense of the gas. Not sure what he did in your case.

I honestly don't understand this attitude. Making excuses when not having a machine is one thing, having the machine and not doing the job properly is total BS.

Check the amp draw of the machine by using a clamp meter. if indeed air is in the system it will show higher amp reading due to higher pressure in the system(which is not good). The amp reading at full load should match what is written in specs and not go higher. If you do not have a clamp meter, use the escom utility meter to see the amp draw, but you will need to switch off every other device in the house and switch On only the AC.

I want to get my spilt inverter AC serviced before I start using for the summer season.

what are the charges for normal AC servicing and how should I verify that AC servicing is done properly?

I reside in Noida

^^^ This!!! Very important point. Almost every article I have read, videos watched(foreign, not Indian)
Are you sure about the "phorein" videos? Asking because most of the houses here have HVAC systems.
Heat pumps and gas furnaces are more important here than cooling.

I got an LG AC installed a day ago, no vacuuming was done. I asked the installation guy and he said it is not SOP for LG inverter ACs in India. Do I have any recourse?
@Tejas01 Did you approach LG? How are you proceeding?

I escalated the issue by raising a ticket through their website. Tell them that the user manual clearly states vacuuming needs to be done and this was not done despite insisting. Put the entire blame on LG for faulty installation and deliberate sabotage of the product.
Be prepared for a heated argument. LG will raise a ticket and the installation agency's head will call you and say it is not necessary and blah! Tell them I am recording your arguments and I M raising this issue with CEO. They will crap their pants and will send the same guy(probably) to do the job. Refuse that guy, you don't want to get all worked up seeing that same guy's face, ask them for a different person. They will send it.

This was my case and a different person came and did the vacuuming.
You can refer my thread here.. You will need to know your stuff, why vacuuming is necessary. LG cc will do its job of scheduling a visit, it would be upto you to tell the installation and cc why vacuuming is necessary and how it will damage the product in the long run. This makes the installation guys believe that you know your stuff and won't cut corners with you. Be adamant.

Last edited:
Slightly offtopic, I'm going to get my Amazon basics midea 2 year old split inverter ac serviced before using it for the summer.

What are the servicing charges and what should I look for are the minimum basics that should be done in the servicing.

Last year, my ac was under 1 year free servicing. The guy came and just removed dust from filters and put some water in external fan unit. He was gone in 5-10 minutes. I had a feeling it was a pointless servicing but didn't say much as it was under free servicing.

I don't want to have that kind of servicing experience again.

Get a wet servicing of your ac if possible. This includes washing IDu completely with high pressure water spray. The same goes for ODU. I believe in first year there ain't much service due to less time.
If you have issues with cooling, you should know it. If there is less cooling then they can top-up gas during service.
Unless specific issue, they would dry clean and go.
Can't comment on charges, varies based on service offered to location.

Last year the cooling was fine.

Don't want to use ac before servicing so don't know at the moment if cooling capacity has decreased or not.

So, I should look for cleaning through vacuum when looking for AC servicing?

Last year the cooling was fine.

Don't want to use ac before servicing so don't know at the moment if cooling capacity has decreased or not.

So, I should look for cleaning through vacuum when looking for AC servicing?
No such thing as don't use before servicing. If the OD unit is in a dusty place, it will effect the cooling time or increased time to cool so more power consumption.
Indoor units are mostly clean, atleast in my house even after 4 years, zero service calls. Just vacuum the indoor unit coil and the dust filter. Outdoor unit can be blown clean using a blower or use a low pressure water to clean the coils, Using a pressure washer like bosch, karcher etc will cause the bent fins or damage. I have a 50k pressure washer and 30k air compressor, despite being carefull, these will cause fins to bend. So these days I just use a hand operated sprayer.

No such thing as don't use before servicing. If the OD unit is in a dusty place, it will effect the cooling time or increased time to cool so more power consumption.
Indoor units are mostly clean, atleast in my house even after 4 years, zero service calls. Just vacuum the indoor unit coil and the dust filter. Outdoor unit can be blown clean using a blower or use a low pressure water to clean the coils, Using a pressure washer like bosch, karcher etc will cause the bent fins or damage. I have a 50k pressure washer and 30k air compressor, despite being carefull, these will cause fins to bend. So these days I just use a hand operated sprayer.
Hey, could you share the link of the 30k air Compressor. Just want to see.

@adder Could you please comment whether vacuuming was done properly or not as mentioned in this post here.? I think both me and @JMP have similar situations and if mine has been done correctly then JMP can also do the same.

Hey, could you share the link of the 30k air Compressor. Just want to see.
Its a elgi coimbatore made one. Mine is 3hp direct drive, not mentioned in website but it looks something like below but with twin cylinder. www.elgi.com/in/1-2-hp-single-stage-direct-drive-piston-compressors/
@adder Could you please comment whether vacuuming was done properly or not as mentioned in this post here.? I think both me and @JMP have similar situations and if mine has been done correctly then JMP can also do the same.
He has done the vacuuming in your case, if they had purged the gas initially he should have topped it off. But the equipment required to the correct job costs north of 20k, which most service technecians do not have.

Like I said before, achieving this level of perfection in India is a slippery slope. Just 3 days back my neighbour installed a blue star AC, I didn't bother telling them about vacuuming, Since the AC installation was urgent due to medical condition after surgery, the last thing I wanted them to have was more worries.

Last edited:
Can anyone suggest how tobsearch for person to do AC servicing?is there an app/online resource for searching/booking the ac servicing?

Or would it be better to look in the local neighborhood?

Back