OC & Modding Air Cooler for i7 ?

kiran1103

Disciple
Need to decide on a air cooler for i7. I am somewhat inclined with TRUE 120. If anyone owns and uses Prolimatech Meghalam or Thermalright IFX. PLease let me know your inputs. Also your suggestions on which fans to use for Push Pull config. Scythe S Flex or ???

Thankss

kiran1103 said:
Need to decide on a air cooler for i7. I am somewhat inclined with TRUE 120. If anyone owns and uses Prolimatech Meghalam or Thermalright IFX. PLease let me know your inputs. Also your suggestions on which fans to use for Push Pull config. Scythe S Flex or ???

Thankss

frankly speaking i would suggest you none of the above if your buying a new one.

go with the noctua u12p-se2. its a top quality cooler. i am using both true & noctua in my office. both are similar in temps, but noctua has got better installation & far superior build quality. not to mention that it comes with 2 top quality silent fans that you can use in push pull which will handle an overclocked rig easily. its selling for Rs.3750/- from itwares here on te.

Scythe mugen 2 will easily beat Noctua U12P hands down and costs much lower. Its can be yours for 3k, and comes with a bundled slip stream fan. You can add another fan like a silverstone FM121 110 cfm/slip stream 1900 rpm 110 cfm for 500/- if you want.

ALso the Venomous X from thermalright too is a monsterous cooler. lot better than U12P. But its bit expensive considering it doesnt have bundled fans.

Thermalright cooler's are good i like them there are some problems but 1) They don't come with a fan. 2) Flaking in Mumbai... :( I don't have any experience about Scythe mugen 2 but just Study the quality of the cooler before buying you don't buy cooler's everyday....

If you don't stay near any oceanic place like Mumbai thermalright or as a matter of fact any cooler which is vfm will be good :)

^The Mugen 2 will block an adjacent memory slot as well! The delta between the 2 heatsinks maybe a couple of 'C lower/higher which would hardly matter for a stable OC in the long run.

Besides, the quality of the Noctua heatsinks are something which cannot be compared with even the Thermalright heatsinks. The TRU120E Black for instance flakes despite being given all black Ni plating. Talk about quality!

Is the user from Mumbai??? Apart from Mumbai specific climates, in Delhi/US/Europe, people have been using TRUE, including myself for the last 3 years without any deterioration, oh and I will suggest Venom if you are looking for the Top Dog in air coolers......

Whooaahhhh so many options. btw I live in Bangalore so no issues on flaking etc.

Anyone can confirm the price and where the below are available

Thermalright Venemous
Prilimatech Megashadow
Noctua -u12p-se2

On second thoughts does Corsair H50 a better option than the above????

Thanks

If you don't have a problem of flaking go ahead with Venomous-X :) Corsair h50 is compact Water cooler i don't think you should invest in that coz you will have to buy more fans to get better output of it and that get's a very costly affair...:) What exavtly is your budget???

Budget would be below 5k..... Also if I take the Venomous -X what fans should I buy and how many?????

EDIT : Where can i get T Venom. Preferabbly Bangaore

skullcandy said:
best value for money is Prolimatech megashadow

:rofl:

its one of the most non vfm cooler. Costs a whooping ~5k , and you need to invest extra on fans and offers nothin more than megahalems in terms of performance.

my vote for

mugen 2>venomous X> cogage arrow [considering price/performance/cfm].

Regarding "TRU120E Black". What actually happens, that you guys are taking, about -- flaking. Does it react with the humid atmosphere -- Mumbai..? What exactly happens..?

kiran1103 said:
Whooaahhhh so many options. btw I live in Bangalore so no issues on flaking etc.

Anyone can confirm the price and where the below are available

Thermalright Venemous
Prilimatech Megashadow
Noctua -u12p-se2

On second thoughts does Corsair H50 a better option than the above????

Thanks
Noctua NH D14 @5.25k:hap2:

http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/noctua-cpu-coolers-fans-thermal-paste-155385.html

its VFM even @ tht price.
Forget H50/aquagate S1 etc, their perfomance is lower compared to high end AIR coolers.

EDIT: I have seen my frnds TRUE gone powdery white @ edges after a year(bangalore)

Availability in Bangalore is an issue. May have to wait and see. Seems new stocks are coming after 23rd at Golcha.. fingers and toes crossed..

but i think cogage arrow @ 3.5k is anyday vfm than D14. cogage comes with one fan, and with one more high cfm fan like the slip stream/silverstone 110 cfm @ 500/- bucks, it can beat D14 with ease at a mere 4k effective price.

Back