Airtel 4G LTE

How could you not exhaust the 10GB limit? especially with 10Mbps speed!
One 10min HD video = 250 MB.

Internet is for browsing Web sites and not meant for downloading movies alone. I do not download movies because I see movies on my TV through DVD player. I do download large files occasionally like Operating systems (Windows 7 and later).

Many articles on the net have embedded Video. Not being able to watch these takes the pleasure out of reading. With 4G I am able to watch the video without interruption.

I am also able to watch the games walkthrough Videos.

Internet is for browsing Web sites and not meant for downloading movies alone. I do not download movies because I see movies on my TV through DVD player. I do download large files occasionally like Operating systems (Windows 7 and later).

Many articles on the net have embedded Video. Not being able to watch these takes the pleasure out of reading. With 4G I am able to watch the video without interruption.

I am also able to watch the games walkthrough Videos.
I gave the example of HD Video to illustrate how anyone could innocently click a 5-10 minute youtube video (not necessarily a movie) and consume 0.25 GB out of your allotted 10 GB.
Now imagine doing it about 10 times a day. (Very likely scenario), whether during browsing a page with links to videos (or embedded), or intentionally by visiting sites like youtube, vimeo etc
And now imagine after finishing the 10 GB limit, you are plunged down into extremely pathetic Airtel EDGE speed (which is lower than 90 kbps most of the times)

The scenario that you are talking about is a very selective and throttled down usage of internet. Of course the bandwidth consumption would be low in your case.

If you see the unlimited Broadband plans from BSNL it is Rs. 950 Upto 4 Mbps till 8 GB, 512 Kbps beyond 8 GB. There is no way that I can get more than 2 MB speed. Watching Youtube videos and playing games on line is a pain.

The FUP in BSNL is 8 GB.

In comparison the Airtel plan looks O.K. Of course I only wish they would improve the speed to 256 K at least.

The only way that this can be resolved is for TRAI to fix 2 MB as minimum for broadband.

Then there is the advantage of portability. I can access this from other cities also.

I know I'm very late in responding to this post (must have ignored this thread), but I would like to know the above BSNL scheme that you mentioned, is it for an ADSL line or a 3G connection?

I know I'm very late in responding to this post (must have ignored this thread), but I would like to know the above BSNL scheme that you mentioned, is it for an ADSL line or a 3G connection?

This is the standard wired Broadband from BSNL.

Reading some of the messages here, one would believe that only Airtel is having a limit. The fact is that all the ISPs have limits. The limit is very low in the case of all India operators. Most of them are lower than 10GB. Only some local ISPs like Beam give a good limit with good speed. But then such ISPs have very very limited area of operation.

Reliance with all the tall talk does not even cover entire Kolkata under their Broadband. In fact their operation is limited to a small area in Kolkata.

I had mentioned earlier about the Signal strength. Insufficient signal strength is the main reason why people give up 4G.

There are many ways of improving the Signal. There are Antennas available. You could also make your own R.F. antenna.

Leaving that, the easiest way of boosting your signal strength is to place the Router in an open place. On the terrace or may be near the Window. You connect the PC to the Router by Wireless. All that is needed is a Wireless adapter for the PC.

I have placed my Router near the Window. I get a couple of more bars of Signal Strength.

This is the standard wired Broadband from BSNL.

Reading some of the messages here, one would believe that only Airtel is having a limit. The fact is that all the ISPs have limits. The limit is very low in the case of all India operators. Most of them are lower than 10GB. Only some local ISPs like Beam give a good limit with good speed. But then such ISPs have very very limited area of operation.

Reliance with all the tall talk does not even cover entire Kolkata under their Broadband. In fact their operation is limited to a small area in Kolkata.

I'm not sure about BSNL, but I currently have a 1 meg unlimited line (which throttles to 2 at night) from MTNL, for which I pay the same amount as you do. When I say 'unlimited' it truly means unlimited and not stripping down the speeds after 'X' amount of data is consumed. So for someone like me, who downloads heavily, Airtel's cap is rather pathetic. I could be done with 10GB in a day on my own connection without affecting the speed. Even for browsing this connection is perfectly fine. YouTube buffering may have gone down recently, but otherwise, I feel this is more value for money compared to this 4G scheme. I'm not sure why one would even opt for a high speed line with such a cap just for browsing purposes. The whole point of having a faster connection is to get larger chunk of content in a short amount of time. Capping would be fine provided the speed it would drop down to would be to an acceptable standard. 128Kbps is even below you minimum broadband speed prescribed in India. This is exactly the reason why I ditched Airtel as an ISP in the first place. They just can't seem to get their schemes in order.

People are writing disparagingly about the speed of 128 KBps. This is the speed of the ISDN connection for which my company paid a huge sum years back. It is still very expensive.

There have been a number of discussions about speed in the different forums. Speed has no meaning without good latency. BSNL latency was poor.

Just go through this article published in 2001 to know how far we have come from 28.8 Kbps and 33.6 Kbps.

http://www.aibn.com/help/FAQ/speed.html

Still remember those days. I got my Internet connection in 1997. ****@md2.vsnl.net.in was my first email address.

When I was doing Web Development and SEO the question was always as to how fast your web site loads. That factor remains the same.

What is the internet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet

Internet is not only about Youtube, Facebook and illegal downloading of movies. Having worked through the net for about 15 years , I think I know what it is. How it enables a person sitting in India to work for organizations in U.S, U.K and other parts of the world. It enables me to get a computer part from anywhere in the world. It is not mere downloading of files.

BTW I got my first Bill from Airtel. They do the billing upto 10th of every month.

It is pro rata calculated at Rs.999 for the entire month. My account was activated on 23/07/. The Bill is from 23/07 to 10/08. It came to Rs 687.96.

I read in the newspaper that Reliance has launched 4G in Assam. Do you have any idea? Of course most of these kind of news is for the stock market.
* Could be They're launching in Assam by 2014 April.
and Please Don't Get Confused..
Reliance - ADAG or Rcom.
Reliance 4G - Jio Infocomm or RIL.

In this world of ever increasing speeds, we have to realize that the internet speed depends on your location. No private sector will provide any service if there is no profit.

You may be surprised/shocked to know that there are places where Dial Up speed of 56K is more common than anything else.

If you think such a place is in India or anywhere in the so called third world, you are wrong.

It is in the United States of America. That too a state capital.

Welcome to Anchorage, Alaska the place where Dial Up Internet at 56K is the most common.

But then according to this the cost of the router is Rs. 4000. But I got it for Rs. 2000.

I was told over the phone that it is 2 MB.
Vlabi2A.gif

Seems true.

Mobile Internet Connection through 4G Router

Today I was fiddling around with my smart phone. I started the WLAN wizard. The Wlan of the 4G Router was recognized and I have been accessing the internet through that. Downloaded a couple of files. Very fast. So I will switch to this when I am at home so that I can save on my 3G data card.

Back