Airtel, Idea, Vodafone hike mobile Internet rates.

prateekS

Skilled
Internet%20mobile%20phone_0_0_0.jpg

New Delhi: Major telecom companies Airtel, Idea Cellular and Vodafone have halved the amount of data downloads on 2G networks under certain tariff plans, pushing up the cost of using mobile Internet services.

Customers will, for instance, have to pay about 25 per cent extra to download 1 GB data.

All the three companies, which dominate India's mobile services market with about 53 per cent share, have reduced the quantum of Internet download and/or validity periods on various packages they were offering, as per their websites.

They were offering 1 GB (or 1024 MB) Internet usage until recently for about Rs 125, which has been reduced to 525 MB.

Now, to get 1 GB of Internet usage, Airtel customers will have to shell out Rs 156, and in case of Idea Cellular it will cost Rs 154, valid for use within 28 days in Delhi. These rates are about 25 per cent higher than the previous ones.

On Vodafone network, same will cost user Rs 155 for use within 30 days.

In Mumbai, the 1 GB pack will now cost Rs 154 on Airtel and Idea networks and Rs 155 on Vodafone networks. It will be valid for 30 days.

Besides, Airtel has reduced the validity of Rs 98 packs in Delhi by half, from 28 days to 14 days as well as data usage limit.

The companies did not specify the date or time from when these rates were changed. They are required to file changes in tariff structures with Telecom Regulatory Authority of India.

This is the second hike in 2G Internet rates by these companies in less than a year.

Source

Lol. And I was worried that our days of using US handsets might be numbered if 4G/LTE becomes popular since US carriers use different bands than ours for LTE.

The worrying thing is they're not Decreasing the price of 3G Basic packs like Aircel,BSNL and Reliance, If they want people to use 3G.
Mods, can you move this thread to Internet talk forum?

Now, to get 1 GB of Internet usage, Airtel customers will have to shell out Rs 156
Besides, Airtel has reduced the validity of Rs 98 packs in Delhi by half, from 28 days to 14 days as well as data usage limit.

Ideally it should have been Rs 75 = 1GB download limit for one full month of 2G. The speeds are pathetic, and the service goes down at about few instances.. And now the morons at Failtel wants the customer to agree to these BS pricings??!?

I am guessing they are hiring cobblers as the bl00dy brilliant think tank for these schemes?

.. As long as don't mess with my 'unofficial' Rs. 98/650 MB 3G Plan.

Details?

Last edited:
I don;t understand what competition commission of India is doing?
this is clearly cartelisation and this AVo!d cartel is ripping the citizens.

After reading this thread I just checked my bill which I never do usually, what I noticed is that Vodafone is charging the following:

MI_CAP_750_30d_R_PROMO_3G (I never asked this) - 750/-

MI_C_V_250_30d_R1GB_FU_3G (this is what I have actually asked them to activate) 125/-

And later in bill they are again giving discount of 750/- against MI_CAP_750_30d_R_PROMO_3G so in short am getting 1GB 3G for 125 instead of 250 :p

Now A days...docomo is good and cheaper than other companies....
149/- for 2 gb..

So , it is cheaper ...then others...
But , internet connectivoty issue...

Every after 1/2 hour..it is disconnect automatically.

Otherwise it is good...

I have Vodafone.

IDK .. I get HSPA+ on my 2G recharges .. Rs. 98/650 MB in Hyd .. Had it for over bout year now.

That's a trick and it's from vodafone side. They still haven't corrected this yet from server side and yes from a year. A friend of mine was using a 2G plan of 450 for unlimited but the speeds were for 3G. He used to do ~400gb per month.

Back